UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't there be something in-game or galnet that helps us or guides us rather than a 'voice of god' on the forums ? Something that's part of, or adds to, the lore ?

Unless I've missed it ?

Wow I've never bothered to try to listen to the morse from a UA before, all I can say is you guys are incredible for being able to understand it ¬.¬ by my reckoning the thing starts with "MMHMH" lol somehow I think I'm getting this wrong.

My "kind" suggestion is to concentrate on the pure search of the Barnacles, leaving the UA aside for now.
IMHO the UA purpose has already been accomplished. You'll not hear anything new from them, apart from what we already know.

Being the Barnacles "exceedingly rare" and not forgetting ED game mechanics about spawning, my guess is that they simply will SHOW sooner or later, exactly like the UA convoys did: After hundreds and hundreds of hours of searching.
And, if I remember well, I'm almost sure there was an OVERALL LIMITED number of UA Convoys all the CMDRs could find eventually, FOR EACH WEEK.

In fact, if the Thread Seniors remember as I do, all the UA Convoys sightings were happening during the first days of the week, then going to zero in the last days of the same week.

On a second note, replying to someone else: I've already deployed the UA in each of the Seven Sister's planets, observing the usual behavior.
Ship drawing if deployed from Ship, Planet's name if deployed from SRV.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
This has probably been suggested so forgive me if it has, i'm new to this thread.

In the spirit of 'begginers mind'.

Barnacles grow on rocks, so have you tried planetary rings and asteroid belts? In particular around planets with no atmosphere?

Very entertaining thread, good luck commanders!

There's no landing on asteroids, so you wouldn't be able to collect it.

Michael

In terms of UA behaviour, I meant where does it point. I think we know that in Merope it points at the main star.

It's probably irrelevant due to 'common in certain regions of space' but worth a try if people happen to have one now that we at least have a definite region to search.

Shouldn't there be something in-game or galnet that helps us or guides us rather than a 'voice of god' on the forums ? Something that's part of, or adds to, the lore ?

Unless I've missed it ?

You can take it just like a KIND Xmas gift made by Lord Brookes to the very dedicated people in this thread, ok? :D
There is always someone complaining of something: first complaining about "no hints", Then, when some hint comes, complaining on how the hint was given. And so on.
The only thing you'll achieve this way: no more hints ever.
No direct offense intended, just a moderate and general rant about complaining.

Well I'm back to the bubble after jumping around the other local nebulas, gonna take some friends and double down in the Pleiades with everyone else.

My "kind" suggestion is to concentrate on the pure search of the Barnacles, leaving the UA aside for now.
IMHO the UA purpose has already been accomplished. You'll not hear anything new from them, apart from what we already know.

Being the Barnacles "exceedingly rare" and not forgetting ED game mechanics about spawning, my guess is that they simply will SHOW sooner or later, exactly like the UA convoys did: After hundreds and hundreds of hours of searching.
And, if I remember well, I'm almost sure there was an OVERALL LIMITED number of UA Convoys all the CMDRs could find eventually, FOR EACH WEEK.

In fact, if the Thread Seniors remember as I do, all the UA Convoys sightings were happening during the first days of the week, then going to zero in the last days of the same week.

On a second note, replying to someone else: I've already deployed the UA in each of the Seven Sister's planets, observing the usual behavior.
Ship drawing if deployed from Ship, Planet's name if deployed from SRV.

Is that not also replying to me? since that was what I was suggesting, that they might say something different on a planet with barnacles? ok well scrap that idea then, I just feel like its kind of silly if they are fixed POI's to not have any clue besides "in this nebula, possibly within the 7 sister systems, on a planet". That would be fine if they are "blue circle" POI's, we'd find them eventually, but fixed ones are another matter, that's probably billions of sq KM of planet to search. I cant help feeling there must be a way to further way to narrow it down.

Last edited:
I've already searched the moon with Pavlou's Keep ... quite a bit but I'm wondering why that base is there. Might be worthwhile to continue the search.

I'll be spending the next 4 hours at Maia B 1 D

But like I said earlier still trillions of sq km's to cover

Has anyone considered using the Long/Lat readings to divide and conquer such a large area?
Or perhaps trying to spot interesting surface areas from orbit?

I can't help wonder if MB is surrounded by a huge bank of monitors each showing a barnacle POI, watching, waiting for a commander to approach.
I just hope he doesn't pop on to say someone drove right past one.. I really hope he doesn't say it was me :)

Hehe, Barnacle Cam - Ooooh getting close.... Oh no! He's turned back to his ship! lol

Is that not also replying to me? since that was what I was suggesting, that they might say something different on a planet with barnacles? ok well scrap that idea then, I just feel like its kind of silly if they are fixed POI's to not have any clue besides "in this nebula, possibly within the 7 sister systems, on a planet". That would be fine if they are "blue circle" POI's, we'd find them eventually, but fixed ones are another matter, that's probably billions of sq KM of planet to search. I cant help feeling there must be a way to further way to narrow it down.

Yes, but it was just a suggestion. If you really and deeply feel what you're saying, the you MUST do and pursue it for sure!
Who am I to tell you what to do? And as you seem a very smart guy to me, you have all the rights to do whatever you think is right ;)
That will add further Science for sure.

There's no landing on asteroids, so you wouldn't be able to collect it.

Michael

I got it into my head that the alloy might be produced or excreted by the barnacles so one might be found apart from the other, like ambergris from a sperm whale for example. But i guess it might be the shell of the barnacle? so you have to destroy the barnacle to obtain the alloy? I guess we'll have to find out ;)

Has anyone considered using the Long/Lat readings to divide and conquer such a large area?
Or perhaps trying to spot interesting surface areas from orbit?

It's the only way - it's just a shame the game doesn't show you parts of the planet you've surveyed already on the planet/system map - that wireframe spheroid is great and all, but could be more! I hope that's a planned feature, MB?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom