UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Has anyone considered using the Long/Lat readings to divide and conquer such a large area?
Or perhaps trying to spot interesting surface areas from orbit?

Welcome back Mr Kerrash!

As for myself, that's what I've always tried to do: trying to spot interesting areas from orbit, before landing there.
I hope those clever guys at FD used the same line of thoughts to place those bloody evanescent Barnacles :D

No direct offense intended, just a moderate and general rant about complaining.

But going forwards wouldn't it be great if every clue or hint were in-game/Galnet ? If we're being too slow/dense to pick up on the clues then we need simpler clues :) Or very specific hints sprinkled among speculation or lies ? The universe is a big place.

Welcome back Mr Kerrash!

As for myself, that's what I've always tried to do: trying to spot interesting areas from orbit, before landing there.
I hope those clever guys at FD used the same line of thoughts to place those bloody evanescent Barnacles :D

Yes I've been doing the same, I also think that checking the night side might genuinely be a good idea, if they are like the UA's (and by the positioning of them I'd say they're likely related) then they will glow/ let off glowing particles, which would be much easier to see while scouting over land. If there are a few on each planet where they exist there's a good chance of catching one on the night side.

Has anyone considered using the Long/Lat readings to divide and conquer such a large area?
The problem is that many things can qualify as "interesting". Last night I went back to Maia B 1 B A and found a really interesting crater. It was big and deep, it had really steep walls and sub-craters, and of course tea. Lots of tea.

But as one or more have asked for how to look for stuff: Last night I didn't use the SRV as much, although the surface of that crater was a lot better for landing and driving than the previous areas I had checked. Instead I was flying at an altitude of 100 to 200 meters and only landed to pick up the aforementioned tea (and a few other things, but of the 21 tons of cargo I now carry 13 are tea, and 1 is the UA) or have a little drive around an area that looked interesting.
I am pretty confident that this crater is a barnacle-free zone.

By the way: You can see the gravitational lensing of Maia B from the planets surface.

Ok CMDRs, I'll be AFK in Paris from tomorrow and for the whole week end.

I want to find a Barnacle on my desk when I'll be back, RIGHT?
With a slice of lemon, if possible :D

Shouldn't there be something in-game or galnet that helps us or guides us rather than a 'voice of god' on the forums ? Something that's part of, or adds to, the lore ?

Unless I've missed it ?
Well, look at it this way...

In-game you find a definition of meta-alloys as being related to barnacles, which have apparently been discovered already by "interstellar explorers".

MB has told us already that he sometimes hops in the game for a play just like the rest of us, except with an undisclosed commander name.

It's probable that he has done some exploration in the process, which would make him an interstellar explorer...

...in which case we've just had been given information by an interstellar explorer, just like the ones described in-game, on where to go to look for barnacles.

LORE PRESERVATION ACCOMPLISHED!!!:cool:

In-game you find a definition of meta-alloys as being related to barnacles, which have apparently been discovered already by "interstellar explorers".

MB has told us already that he sometimes hops in the game for a play just like the rest of us, except with an undisclosed commander name.

It's probable that he has done some exploration in the process, which would make him an interstellar explorer...

...in which case we've just had been given information by an interstellar explorer, just like the ones described in-game, on where to go to look for barnacles.

Not forgetting that Mr Brookes is by right an important direct contributor of this thread since day one, page one ;)

The problem is that many things can qualify as "interesting". Last night I went back to Maia B 1 B A and found a really interesting crater. It was big and deep, it had really steep walls and sub-craters, and of course tea. Lots of tea.

But as one or more have asked for how to look for stuff: Last night I didn't use the SRV as much, although the surface of that crater was a lot better for landing and driving than the previous areas I had checked. Instead I was flying at an altitude of 100 to 200 meters and only landed to pick up the aforementioned tea (and a few other things, but of the 21 tons of cargo I now carry 13 are tea, and 1 is the UA) or have a little drive around an area that looked interesting.
I am pretty confident that this crater is a barnacle-free zone.

By the way: You can see the gravitational lensing of Maia B from the planets surface.

I'm thinking the same thing.. the permanent locations must be on a hand crafted moon and placed somewhere unique or interesting. I'm thinking the crater or feature won't look exactly natural.

Now the random gen ones could be just a % chance in particular areas.

So I've been spending time hoping a random gen pops but I really doubt it'll happen. We really need to use our ships to try and find things. The issue is - the objects at the POI's don't spawn until you are really close. In a lot of cases sometimes they don't even spawn unless you are under 2km. Making this search really tedious..

Except I don't think it is undisclosed. I'm sure someone pirated a CMDR they suspected to be MB (based on CMDR name, posted in another thread) some time ago, and he confirmed it was him.... or am I confusing that with someone else in the dev team.

Last edited:
Ok so been following this thread since i started playing ED, though not read all of it (started reading in November). It is most interesting, and though i have nothing much to add to all the theories i am heading to the Pleiades to help out in the search for barnacles. Will be in solo play for a while, but happy to search anywhere i am asked (and may be convinced to drop into open as well to coordinate any searches :))

Ok CMDRs, I'll be AFK in Paris from tomorrow and for the whole week end.

I want to find a Barnacle on my desk when I'll be back, RIGHT?
With a slice of lemon, if possible :D
If you are flying over, I recommend you don't bring your UA in your baggage. Otherwise you risk the cargo hold door malfunctioning and dumping everyone's luggage mid-flight. It's the kind of thing that makes one very unpopular with other passengers.

Last edited:

Even that would take days and months..

If we had it narrowed down to a few moons then maybe we'd have someone find it.

I've basically tried to stay at a certain latitude and go around the planet east/west but I literally only covered a bit in an hour because of the bumpy terrain. Even boosting on this low grav planet makes you eat up your hull repairs fast.

Wow... this is what it's come to?

I've kinda lost faith in this whole story arc now....

Why? It's been said before but a majority of us were pretty certain Pleiades was the place, we just bickered about where, sowed the seeds of doubt and didn't stick to it.
Literally ALL he has told us is that it is indeed in the Pleiades, nothing else.
All the hints were in game, we just spent too long going "oh but we shouldn't make assumptions" and it diverted us from finding it, all MB did was put us back on the right track.

Why? It's been said before but a majority of us were pretty certain Pleiades was the place, we just bickered about where, sowed the seeds of doubt and didn't stick to it.
Literally ALL he has told us is that it is indeed in the Pleiades, nothing else.
All the hints were in game, we just spent too long going "oh but we shouldn't make assumptions" and it diverted us from finding it, all MB did was put us back on the right track.

^^^^ THIS.
Well said Man.

Ok so Pavlou's keep is on a moon that has a very nice view of its sister moon. Both are tidally locked.

I suspect this Pavlou's keep is an observation post. It is watching that moon. To see there are any comings and goings?

qNetU2R.jpg

cz97A50.jpg

Ok so Pavlou's keep is on a moon that has a very nice view of its sister moon. Both are tidally locked.

I suspect this Pavlou's keep is an observation post. It is watching that moon. To see there are any comings and goings?

Looks good! keep at it, you're using more reasoning than me, I'm basically just saying "Boy I sure do hope they glow like the UA's, that way I'll see them here at night" and flying over the night side of Merope 1D :D

This likely means there might be a chance of finding something in Merope then I'd have thought! Oh the irony, the UAs have been pointing all along...

Still, plenty of systems around there - and adding to other previous theories, a certain type of planet and/or star type might yet be important.

"polaris, merope and maia all have class B stars, might be something there idk"
also the black hole near merope is very tinfoil hattery, much suspicious.
aaand not sure if anyone takes this seriously, but the tharg wiki does say they can build on a planetary scale.
"Thargoids could be capable of building large artificial structures which could possibly be on a scale with planets, and certainly large enough to negate a ship's warp ability."

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom