UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Does the planet have to be in tidal lock with sun?
Yes one of the theorys being that Barnacles are only on the dark side of planets, so it would need a planet tidally locked to the star.

Did you run out of fuel? For some reason that's what happens.
Not to me everything shuts down, but if your shield is needed to protect you from heat from the sun then yes you prolly would eventually blow up

Last edited:
Ok that's great. Searched back some pages but didn't pick up on that. My feeling is its come in on a meteor from deep space and.smashed into the surface so I would be looking in craters, still think morope as I think the UAs are acting as beacons for someone/some species.

Things have been subtly hinted at for a long while. But given the difficulty of the task sometimes you just need a hint from the voice of God to just...

I don't do subtle... that is to say my level of subtlety is a 15MT Thermonuclear explosion when all you really needed was a quick little fart to feel better.

Speaking of which I'm still wanting nuclear weapons in this game... that nice SRV area on my Cobra looks perfect for a nice bomb bay with which to take out a few pirate outposts on far flung moons... the hilarity of a free fall bomb on a low grav planet I can't stand it!

Some of us play in Open (like me) some others like Mobius. There's a Private Group named "The Canonn" as well, but I think is not used that much anymore.

Hoping to use this more in the future - just need to sort out who's going to manage it and when. Would like to get all registered CMDRs joined to this group eventually.

Does the planet have to be in tidal lock with sun?

I think they are running with the theory that the barnacles grow in dark places, based on the structures in the Horizons trailer are commonly theorised to be barnacles. A planet tidally locked to a star has a permanent dark side, so according to that theory should be ideal for housing barnacles.

Edit: Ninja'd by several commanders. Death of a thousand cuts.

Last edited:
I don't do subtle... that is to say my level of subtlety is a 15MT Thermonuclear explosion when all you really needed was a quick little fart to feel better.

odd! that is exactly what happened to me yesterday on my tour of my installations....

Hoping to use this more in the future - just need to sort out who's going to manage it and when. Would like to get all registered CMDRs joined to this group eventually.
It is a good place for testing.

Been going back through the Greek myths trying to find some sort of Barnacle link none so far apart from the word Barnacle is from a Greek word and this list of Oceanids
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oceanids. Though this may be handy for places to look.
I think Pleione is my first target being mother of the Pleiades.

Last edited:
Speculation time! what is a barnacle? on earth it is a sea dwelling life-form latching on to ships and whales and feed on any algae that it comes by. So what could a large space barnacle be like? My guess it that it looks very similar to the earth equivalent and that it feeds on metals that it find on the planets to produce meta alloys. it might also feed directly on ships and stations. (UA's damage ships and stations) If it is any like the earth equivalent they are most likely not very intelligent and acts more for its own self preservation. So what about the meta alloys? It seems like meta alloys is something that only can be produced by the barnacles. So maybe someone is intentionally populating the planets with barnacles. tell me what you think.

Unknown as yet. There's been some speculation (based in patch notes) that they are similar to wrecks. They 'may' be visible from low altitude flight.

I am going to bet a virtual lot that they are visible:

ED have not invented Landings for us to abandon our spaceships and spend 95% of the time in an SRV, we are supposed to use BOTH.
The fixed POI do not appear as Blue, so its a good bet that you either have to fly lower and look, or hunt in your SRV
The area to be covered in an SRV alone would be staggering. Even if they were common, which they are not.

If I was Meta Hunting (which I am not), I would be in something fast and agile with good visabilty, doing low level flight over Merope, Maia or Pleione

My guess is these barnacles are larval states of something and we're going to royally :):):):) them off once we find them and start farming :)

I think they are running with the theory that the barnacles grow in dark places, based on the structures in the Horizons trailer are commonly theorised to be barnacles. A planet tidally locked to a star has a permanent dark side, so according to that theory should be ideal for housing barnacles.

Edit: Ninja'd by several commanders. Death of a thousand cuts.

If you are going with a strict tidal lock planet then you'd have to eliminate systems that feature multiple stars that way you can literally have a side "where the sun don't shine" to put a more scientific spin on that old insult.

Also may be redundant but don't forget that tidally locked moons may still show their backsides to the sun depending on the main planet's rotation so you can rule those out too.

To summarize if you're looking for a tidally locked world then you're gonig to need a standalone TL planet in a single star system.

My other question is why the dark side though.... yeah the trailer shows what we assume are barnacles on the dark side of a moon (Pink Floyd reference maybe?) does temperature/solar radiation inhibit barnacle and or UA growth? or is it maybe a function that it is easier to see what we are looking for with low ambient lighting? could we be looking for some sort of light emitting object? after all the UAs do light up if they are from the same sort of origin/construction.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I am going to bet a virtual lot that they are visible:

ED have not invented Landings for us to abandon our spaceships and spend 95% of the time in an SRV, we are supposed to use BOTH.
The fixed POI do not appear as Blue, so its a good bet that you either have to fly lower and look, or hunt in your SRV
The area to be covered in an SRV alone would be staggering. Even if they were common, which they are not.

If I was Meta Hunting (which I am not), I would be in something fast and agile with good visabilty, doing low level flight over Merope, Maia or Pleione

Going by your statement I almost want to say that the Asp Scout was built just for this sort of work....

If you are going with a strict tidal lock planet then you'd have to eliminate systems that feature multiple stars that way you can literally have a side "where the sun don't shine" to put a more scientific spin on that old insult.

Also may be redundant but don't forget that tidally locked moons may still show their backsides to the sun depending on the main planet's rotation so you can rule those out too.

To summarize if you're looking for a tidally locked world then you're gonig to need a standalone TL planet in a single star system.

My other question is why the dark side though.... yeah the trailer shows what we assume are barnacles on the dark side of a moon (Pink Floyd reference maybe?) does temperature/solar radiation inhibit barnacle and or UA growth? or is it maybe a function that it is easier to see what we are looking for with low ambient lighting? could we be looking for some sort of light emitting object? after all the UAs do light up if they are from the same sort of origin/construction.

I think it's a case of these things glow and would look cooler on a trailer if they were to be shown in the dark nothing more.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom