UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
youuuu have COVETED my DETAILED SURFACE SCANNER!!

Ive had it since I was a child! PEOPLE!! always trying to.. TAKE it from me!

[that's space madness]

[that's space madness]

Meat is meat.... that is space madness

Remember that guy? Whatever happened to him? surprised nothing more came of it.

In fact, if the Thread Seniors remember as I do, all the UA Convoys sightings were happening during the first days of the week, then going to zero in the last days of the same week.
I remember that Bank Holiday Monday clearly! The forums almost exploded with people finding the convoys. :)

ok, so we know that shipwrecks don't show up as a blue-circle POI on the ship sensors... but do they still show up on the SRV wave scanner? Is there a unique wave pattern for each ship type, or just one pattern for all ships?
Size of ship has a bearing on the signal strength.
The wreckage of a small SRV gives a particular profile.
The wreckage of a larger ship has the same profile but more of it. A stronger signal if you will.
I'm flying around in an Anaconda and I know that my ship gives a large profile even when I'm almost 2km away.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.

[that's space madness]

Lol. Took me a couple of re-reads, but I get it. ;)

I remember that Bank Holiday Monday clearly! The forums almost exploded with people finding the convoys. :)

Size of ship has a bearing on the signal strength.
The wreckage of a small SRV gives a particular profile.
The wreckage of a larger ship has the same profile but more of it. A stronger signal if you will.
I'm flying around in an Anaconda and I know that my ship gives a large profile even when I'm almost 2km away.

May the 4th.... what a day that was.

Just imagine the crowd when someone actualy find it...

also, i don't think its manual placed... because this mean a finite source of material instead of a bigger source , let's say a whole planet...

Actually, I'm almost 100% certain they are manually placed (at least partially). The reason for this was in the most recent patch notes. There was a note about being able to recall the ship near crashed ships and barnacles.

The crashed ship this refers to are the manually placed, persistent ships referred to in local galnet news (morse code in Sol for example). These ships were considered settlements and required you to go 1.5km away before you could recall your ship. As this never happens with random POI's, I think it clearly indicates that the barnacles are manually and persistently placed on the surface of the planet(s), just like the crashed ships.

This, of course, makes it a lot harder to find because you can't just randomly cruise looking for POI's. You need to systematically scan the planets to find the ship, and this is HARD. Like really REALLY hard.

With Sol, we had the lat/long coordinates prior to the decimal point. It still took a group of people a significant amount of time to find the crashed ship.

I later tried on another planet with known coordinates and spent hours there myself without finding it. To clarify again, I knew where to look and I still couldn't find it.

I personally think it's a really poor mechanic to place something on a random planet in a random system in a random area of space (the latter being suspected, now confirmed). It'd be like finding a specific building on earth, from a ship flying 300m/sec, while not knowing where it is, and being unable to detect it from a distance... except that there might be 10s or 100s of earths to look for and you first need to find the right one.

I don't see how it'll be possible without at least getting planet name and a specific coordinate location or general area to look in. Planets are way too big and the way of scanning way too bad (if POI scanning was useful for this, it might be different, but it really isn't - too much crap POIs).

What is the other small percentage o_O? Is this normal? Bug?
Screenshot_0025.jpg

What sucks is those stupid rocks that depending on the angle look like the profile of a Thargoid ship.... nearly jumped out of my seat a couple of times my last trip out... such disappointment... oh well ONWARD.

Also notice how some rocks appear to be pockmarked with little tiny craters.... almost look like tiny barnacles. Too bad we're looking for large ones.

Barnacle like I suppose - found on the dark side of Merope 2 D. Two of them, inside craters.

Drove all around it, no caves, no remarkable signals, just a few rare earths and crashed Nav Beacon . . . moving on.

Aren't those just the central peaks of the craters?

Last edited:
Barnacle like I suppose - found on the dark side of Merope 2 D. Two of them, inside craters.

Drove all around it, no caves, no remarkable signals, just a few rare earths and crashed Nav Beacon . . . moving on.

yeah you always get these in the middle of a large crater, I had one earlier that was about 2km high and a like a needle it was incredible, i felt sure i'd find some barnacles around there but alas twas not to be.

I personally think it's a really poor mechanic to place something on a random planet in a random system in a random area of space (the latter being suspected, now confirmed). It'd be like finding a specific building on earth, from a ship flying 300m/sec, while not knowing where it is, and being unable to detect it from a distance... except that there might be 10s or 100s of earths to look for and you first need to find the right one.

I don't see how it'll be possible without at least getting planet name and a specific coordinate location or general area to look in. Planets are way too big and the way of scanning way too bad (if POI scanning was useful for this, it might be different, but it really isn't - too much crap POIs).

I think barnacles will be easier to see from a ship than your standard crash site because evidence points towards them glowing, which is a bit of a dead giveaway, it just takes someone being in the right general area and noticing the glow, which could still take a while, but when you think there are probably a fair few on each planet ("common in some parts of space") your odds increase a whole lot more.
I still think they are a bit too hard to find, but not to the point that I'm tearing my hair out at the horrible probabilities.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom