UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Some of you are concentrating on Kerrash telling us to use the lat/lon system to divide and conquer.

Did everybody overlook the second sentence from him: "Or perhaps trying to spot interesting surface areas from orbit?"

Circling in orbital cruise over the right planet might show something (obviously not POIs that high)

good call. when others suggested it was impossible to find via just looking, i did read a bit too much into kerrash's comment, but still consider it to be somewhere in between a hint and an idea he had.

He certainly did know more than we did at one point - he said as much - but whether that's still true I doubt it.

A planetary scour would be great - especially if we are dealing with RNG POIs. If we're dealing with manually placed sites, though, then arguably it's more important to take system by system with as many CMDRs as possible doing all planets.

Suggest multiply-layered approach: some cmdrs doing aerial reconnaissance looking for interesting surface artefacts. That can be done from glide height and orbital cruise, then have other CMDRs flying lower and slower for a more detailed check. Finally, you need an SRV brigade at surface level to investigate too.

As always, instancing will be a pain, though, for proper coordination, because when you're off-surface I think it's harder to know where you are as opposed to when you're actually on the surface. Local geography/landmarks would have to be used.

would love to be involved, let me know

If people want to do a planetary scour ... I can try to put a map together this eve if there is a planet that people want to try. I will only be able to do the lighted side though. Suggestions anyone ?

would love to be involved, im going to outfit after work and head over to the pleaides. i don't care where we start but my suggestions are merope, pleione and maia.

Last edited:
Kerrash clue?

Just to say on finding barnacle POIs.

I've said a few pages back, all the static/persistent POIs I have experienced have not appeared on the ship scanner, you literally have to spot them from above.

Both static/persistent POIs I've experienced, I was guided to an area via lat/log (through a mission) and was then expected to hunt for the POI. (and I found both)

So assuming they don't appear on ship radar (look I have no idea, just going off what I've seen so far!), then finding them is going to be tremendously difficult without knowing an area to look, I mean I think it'll literally not be possible.

And as such, assuming the above is correct, I cannot help but think there must be some sort of clue in game as to where to look.

And well, so far, the thing that's previously provided clues, as in clues that offer something specific, has always been the UA.

I don't know how or why but I cannot help thinking that it is possible that the UA can somehow lead us to an area, whether it be morsing lat/longs or pointing at something I don't know. But it's just if indeed they do not show on ship radar then surely some piece of information must be required to indicate an area of some sort and in all honesty if that information is in-game right now I can't think of anything else besides it being in the UA.

Last edited:
hmm, i just arrived at obsidian obrital, and there are 8 emergeny courier missions on the BB, all the same, saying they have important information about a cure which must be delivered to a station in xuanook.
Looks just a little bit suspicious...

Question: has anyone tried to search for them with an UA in the SRV ?

The answer is probably yes but it's hard to keep track of what has and hasn't been done with such traffic withing the thread :p

yeah i think you are right. my only thought is that it's leading us to merope and we have not found what we are looking for. not sure though, i've been basically lurking, not searching very hard yet. been trying to figure out where to start.

someone mentioned the 7 marks on the UA making reference to the pleaides. just all seems interconnected and we aren't seeing what is right in front of us, or not enough of us are looking.

No Carbuncles........yet......

I have however made a friend: I call him Mr Jingles:

Sometimes he's alone in front of my ship -

9hSxjje.jpg

Other times he brings a Friend -

2BLGXhH.jpg

Just came across a distress call 400ls from Obsidian Orbital. there was a Farraghut battle cruiser called Orion been attacked by a wing of 4 NPCS. could this be anything important?.The game crashed to desktop as soon as i tried to deploy hardpoints so didn't get a chance to see the message it put in comms.

I don't know if this would help at all, been following the whole ua thing off and on for a while now - but with the whole mention of the seven sisters started looking around - remember passing through pleione once don't recall if it had landable bodies etc but thought about heading back once the wife and kids head to bed.

Found the following about the lost pleiad

However, the story about the lost 7th Pleiad harbors a universal theme. The astronomer Robert Burnham Jr. finds the lost Pleaid myth prevalent in the star lore of European, African, Asian, Indonesian, Native American and Aboriginal Australian populations.
Moreover, Burnham suggests the “lost Pleiad” may have basis in fact. After all, modern astronomy has found that the 7th brightest Pleiades star – Pleione – is a complicated and hard-to-understand “shell star” that goes through numerous permutations. These changes cause this star to vary in brightness.

Last edited:
Kerrash clue?

Just to say on finding barnacle POIs.

I've said a few pages back, all the static/persistent POIs I have experienced have not appeared on the ship scanner, you literally have to spot them from above.

Both static/persistent POIs I've experienced, I was guided to an area via lat/log (through a mission) and was then expected to hunt for the POI. (and I found both)

So assuming they don't appear on ship radar (look I have no idea, just going off what I've seen so far), then finding them is going to be tremendously difficult without knowing an area to look, I mean I think it'll literally not be possible.

And as such, assuming the above is correct, I cannot help but think that there must be some clues in game as to where to look.

And well, so far, the thing that's previously provided clues, as in clues that offer something specific, has always been the UA.

I don't know how or why but I cannot help thinking that it is possible that the UA can somehow lead us to an area, whether it be morsing lat/longs or pointing at something I don't know. But it's just if indeed they do not show on ship radar then surely some piece of information must be required to indicate an area of some sort.

Yeah - well it's a valid idea: the UAs, when they're not scanning ships 'broadcast navigational data over vast distances' (Palin, circa June/July 3301 I think).

Might be an explanation for some of strange orientations we've seen for them on planet surfaces.

But, other than that, I think there'll be some other cue - a cool looking surface feature visible from high up, or at least something obviously different when lower down.

Planets with rings might also be a good shout (is that one in Pleione that has a ring landable?) - just thinking, y'know: if a barnacle attached itself to an asteroid and then fell to the surface, well - then we might find them at the bottom of craters?

Lots of thoughts, lots of ideas. The only way is to think them, try them till you get tired; then someone else takes over!

Good luck all! O7

The lack of compass in the cockpit in between drop and orbital cruise is EXTREMELY frustrating... like trying to find the poles etc you have to just watch the coords and try to head in the right direction. !!! UGH!!

I was interested in Maia A 1 A, because:

It's inside the nebula (Merope isn't)
It's the system chosen for the station and base and the one Palin is interested in.
A 1 A is a metal moon, the only landable object in the system that has a written description, and is the moon that Obsidian Orbital orbits, and OO developed issues.

On investigation, it has a large impact crater, one of the ones visible from supercruise, which happens to be perfectly in the center of the 'dark side' of this tidally locked moon

I headed down to take a look, and spotted that just to one side of the main impact crater was a set of dark canyons, and went to take a look. As I got right to the edge (not quite inside the canyon) I found a POI with 2 sentries, 2 turrets and 5 mining rigs. I took out all the defenses and blew up the rigs, which just gave standard metals (Bauxite, Osmium).

Unfortunately I then had to log, I'll look around that area more closely tomorrow.

I don't know if this would help at all, been following the whole ua thing off and on for a while now - but with the whole mention of the seven sisters started looking around - remember passing through pleione once don't recall if it had landable bodies etc but thought about heading back once the wife and kids head to bed.

Found the following about the lost pleiad

However, the story about the lost 7th Pleiad harbors a universal theme. The astronomer Robert Burnham Jr. finds the lost Pleaid myth prevalent in the star lore of European, African, Asian, Indonesian, Native American and Aboriginal Australian populations.
Moreover, Burnham suggests the “lost Pleiad” may have basis in fact. After all, modern astronomy has found that the 7th brightest Pleiades star – Pleione – is a complicated and hard-to-understand “shell star” that goes through numerous permutations. These changes cause this star to vary in brightness.

Good thinking - but I thought the lost Pleiad is Merope - as it is the faintest; it's also accompanied by a faint nebula too.

It's the system chosen for the station and base and the one Palin is interested in.
A 1 A is a metal moon, the only landable object in the system that has a written description, and is the moon that Obsidian Orbital orbits, and OO developed issues.

On investigation, it has a large impact crater, one of the ones visible from supercruise, which happens to be perfectly in the center of the 'dark side' of this tidally locked moon

I headed down to take a look, and spotted that just to one side of the main impact crater was a set of dark canyons, and went to take a look. As I got right to the edge (not quite inside the canyon) I found a POI with 2 sentries, 2 turrets and 5 mining rigs. I took out all the defenses and blew up the rigs, which just gave standard metals (Bauxite, Osmium).

Unfortunately I then had to log, I'll look around that area more closely tomorrow.

I spent about 10 hours in total on Maia A1A, about 4 of them in that huge crater, found nothing. It's worth looking though, I fair few pages back I was saying it was my best bet for finding them (but mainly just because I think it's a really cool planet and I had a lot of fun driving/flying around it)
However since it's a moon the fact that it is tidally locked means nothing, it will still get sun on all of it eventually.

You mean maia a2a?

I really want to know why the hell it has "pristine reserves" and ist not a ringed moon/planet...

Emphasis on the orbital, you have spurred a thought for me here:

OO is experiencing issues. We ASSUMED it was due to someone selling UA's there. However, we know that, at least in the past, this caused the station to shut down completely eventually (with a few exceptions, granted).

So OO has been operating just fine since the gal-net article. Perhaps Gameson is onto something here. Is it possible that Obsidian is experiencing issues due to it's proximity to... something? And not simply UA sales like we had assumed?

The recent gal-net article could be a clue to direct our attention there.

Good thinking - but I thought the lost Pleiad is Merope - as it is the faintest; it's also accompanied by a faint nebula too.

"The `lost Pleiad' legend came about to explain why only six are easily visible to the unaided eye. This sister is variously said to be Electra, who veiled her face at the burning of Troy, appearing to mortals afterwards only as a comet; or Merope, who was shamed for marrying a mortal; or Celæno, who was struck by a thunderbolt."

just something I found from a quick google, could be any of the 3

Your likely very well correct; don't recall the main star of any system out there seemingly changing brightness either which if the dev's were going along with what i found there likely would have been some strangeness to the star or system - and the UA's pointing to merope is another clue in it's favor.

I am willing to bet however, that there are a ton of folks combing merope, so I'll likely stick to the outer systems etc - although at this rate it's likely the entire nebula will have been gone over with a fine tooth comb before it strikes some lucky commander in the face. And we'll all wonder how we missed it in the first place.

Will definitively post if I find anything, haven't worked with the canonn before but if there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom