UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yeah - well it's a valid idea: the UAs, when they're not scanning ships 'broadcast navigational data over vast distances' (Palin, circa June/July 3301 I think).

Might be an explanation for some of strange orientations we've seen for them on planet surfaces.

But, other than that, I think there'll be some other cue - a cool looking surface feature visible from high up, or at least something obviously different when lower down.

I s'pose POI visible via nav window within 1000Ls like a settlement is a possibility, it's just having searched and found static POIs, without knowing the area they'd be next to impossible to find.

I mean maybe the green glow from the Horizons video might be visible far away but even so it's just so hard to think even that would be much help, the scale of the planets/moons is enormous.

it's like saying to someone, I've hidden an alien pyramid type structure the size of say a bus somewhere on the Earth, with the tools and information we currently have you'd spend the rest of your life looking.

Last edited:
Your likely very well correct; don't recall the main star of any system out there seemingly changing brightness either which if the dev's were going along with what i found there likely would have been some strangeness to the star or system - and the UA's pointing to merope is another clue in it's favor.

I am willing to bet however, that there are a ton of folks combing merope, so I'll likely stick to the outer systems etc - although at this rate it's likely the entire nebula will have been gone over with a fine tooth comb before it strikes some lucky commander in the face. And we'll all wonder how we missed it in the first place.

Will definitively post if I find anything, haven't worked with the canonn before but if there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Great to have you on board, CMDR.

Maia is being searched right now by a few CMDRs, others are variously scoping Pleione, Merope too.

If it's random POIs we're looking for, then it might just be any system - so even the 'non-famous' other systems in the heart of the nebula 'cloud' itself might also be a good bet.

The more the merrier!

Well I m looking at this system

Pleiades Sector DL-Y d65 (20160108-001423).png

The first one is 100% metal and the last is a small 500km one. The system is inside the nebula. I think this system is pretty good to look at and will be easy to survey.

I'll sign off for the night :)

Well I m looking at this system

View attachment 93179

The first one is 100% metal and the last is a small 500km one. The system is inside the nebula. I think this system is pretty good to look at and will be easy to survey.

I'll sign off for the night :)

I was there today :) Couldn't find anything despite my best effort... nice place though

Screenshot_0117.jpg

Emphasis on the orbital, you have spurred a thought for me here:

OO is experiencing issues. We ASSUMED it was due to someone selling UA's there. However, we know that, at least in the past, this caused the station to shut down completely eventually (with a few exceptions, granted).

So OO has been operating just fine since the gal-net article. Perhaps Gameson is onto something here. Is it possible that Obsidian is experiencing issues due to it's proximity to... something? And not simply UA sales like we had assumed?

The recent gal-net article could be a clue to direct our attention there.

Yes, that was my thinking too and why I chose it.

Kind of pointles but if you type 'Pleiades Nebula' in the GalMap search, you hit Maia.

Maia is actually the only star thats really inside the nebula.

I s'pose POI visible via nav window within 1000Ls like a settlement is a possibility, it's just having searched and found static POIs, without knowing the area they'd be next to impossible to find.

I mean maybe the green glow from the Horizons video might be visible far away but even so it's just so hard to think even that would be much help, the scale of the planets/moons is enormous.

it's like saying to someone, I've hidden an alien pyramid type structure the size of say a bus somewhere on the Earth, you could spend the rest of your life looking.

Yeah, Ayal has also suggested, on TS, that the green glow could be visible, but I don't think it will be above probably 5km or even more like 2-3k. In fact it's more likely to be under 1k - as you've said it depends on the type of spawn we're dealing with. Some POIs I hit up yesterday in HR1528 didn't spawn models till I fired up the SRV, even when they right next to the Ship. Others I could see from 300m altitude.

The types of locations you're talking about, it sounds like only a visual scan will suffice which, like you say, will be double-hard unless there's something about them that makes them truly obvious.

So, yeah - a lot of searching to be done. The more people winging up and collaborating via different disciplines the better.

Ooooh hello ive found something interesting on the atlas systems, thats all im gunna say gotta get this thing to station to sell it first

I spent about 10 hours in total on Maia A1A, about 4 of them in that huge crater, found nothing.
However since it's a moon the fact that it is tidally locked means nothing, it will still get sun on all of it eventually.

The crater itself didn't look interesting but my attention was drawn to canyons just outside it. And good point about the tidally locked thing.

Wow... this is what it's come to?
I've kinda lost faith in this whole story arc now....
Why? It's been said before but a majority of us were pretty certain Pleiades was the place, we just bickered about where, sowed the seeds of doubt and didn't stick to it.
Literally ALL he has told us is that it is indeed in the Pleiades, nothing else.
All the hints were in game, we just spent too long going "oh but we shouldn't make assumptions" and it diverted us from finding it, all MB did was put us back on the right track.

Because if it takes your Executive Producer to come to the forums and post "I'd have a look around here", then your hints weren't hints; they were so obscure they may as well have not existed from a gameplay experience. I've written my own D&D adventures and played them with people, and I've done this myself and have experienced just how negatively it can affect the experience for your players.

On gameplay experience, there's other ways this could've been delivered.
- A Galnet article in Maia or even on Galnet proper, like this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=138901
- Through Palin's stuff
- Through a "Collect UA's" CG like the one I proposed
- Or many more mechanics.

Instead, we get a forum post from FD staff. Can you feel the fourth wall breaking all around you yet?

This is all again a byproduct of throwing content out there with nothing to follow to it and just hoping someone finds it, but I won't keep harping on about why that's a dumb design principle.

Again though, if sitting on the RNG hamster wheel* is your idea of fun then by all means, don't let my complaints hamper your progress, but for me there's better things to be doing in game than that.

* Something something "We don't know if Barnacles spawn in fixed or random POIs yet"... if you have nothing to follow, then it's as good as RNG.

Last edited:
Ooooh hello ive found something interesting on the atlas systems, thats all im gunna say gotta get this thing to station to sell it first

You haven't got to get anything to a station to sell it. Especially not before you supply screenshots and details of where, specifically, you found it.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you found nothing super interesting. You'd be dying to be the first one to prove it with screenshots otherwise ;)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Posts like this are punishable by death.

Damnit, Squiggsy, I can only rep you so much!

The lack of compass in the cockpit in between drop and orbital cruise is EXTREMELY frustrating... like trying to find the poles etc you have to just watch the coords and try to head in the right direction. !!! UGH!!

I once dropped first, aligned myself via compass and then went back to cruise.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom