UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
After a few hours of sorting out logistics I have finally arrived in Merope.

Given the recent track record of stations malfunctioning I have decided it is not too presumptuous to think the station problems are an accident. As such the Federation has signed off on plans for me to bring a more heavily armed ship to aid in the search for these artefacts. Therefore, I present the FNS Gascoigne;

A mix of warfare and exploration, I have abandoned my ''no weapons'' approach in favour of a much fairer rule;

The weapons STAY concealed until two conditions are met;

1 - I am fired at first by unknown/alien entities
2 - The level of incoming fire puts my life and federal property at risk

Only then will I return fire on whatever might be out ;)

Say hi if you see me out and about. in-game CMDR name is the same as my forum name :)

Nice rig flyboy but honestly as an ex Fed Navy pilot I would have stuck with a more recon centered approach and taken a smaller ship... where do you plan on landing that turkey if the terrain gets rough?

I found something interesting (wave scanner and noise) and crashed to desktop immediately. Went back in and nothing. I've not had a CTD since original Beta! Makes me wonder if there is a bug involved with it.

Entirely possible if the whole barnacle being spelt wrong in the game files is true, as the game goes to find the files for the barnicle to render it on screen, can't find it (as it's not technically fond) so crash to desktop.

Submit the ticket thing to frontier on game crash so they can check it out.

After a few hours of sorting out logistics I have finally arrived in Merope.

Given the recent track record of stations malfunctioning I have decided it is not too presumptuous to think the station problems are an accident. As such the Federation has signed off on plans for me to bring a more heavily armed ship to aid in the search for these artefacts. Therefore, I present the FNS Gascoigne;

A mix of warfare and exploration, I have abandoned my ''no weapons'' approach in favour of a much fairer rule;

The weapons STAY concealed until two conditions are met;

1 - I am fired at first by unknown/alien entities
2 - The level of incoming fire puts my life and federal property at risk

Only then will I return fire on whatever might be out ;)

Say hi if you see me out and about. in-game CMDR name is the same as my forum name :)

Are you trying to say: "If you show me your hard points I'll show you mine"?

I feel your pain... my computer locked up back during the May 4th frenzy when Wishblend, Psychofish, Zion Ravescene and I were hunting for UAs convoys. I dropped in on one after skipping out on work to "get in on the action" SUPER STOKED... told the team to drop in and as soon as I hit fire bam CTD....

Never saw another convoy again.

(Cue In world's saddest violin)

All I got was this screenshot to know that it was real....

Sad panda

Yep been there and is a complete pain to get get the adrenalin going and bam.... no going back to the arena...... shrugs.. and walks away, a large whisky.... damn damn damn... lol

Nice rig flyboy but honestly as an ex Fed Navy pilot I would have stuck with a more recon centered approach and taken a smaller ship... where do you plan on landing that turkey if the terrain gets rough?

Terrain too rough to land on can still be scouted be extremely low-level flight. If I'm fortunate enough to discover a Barnacle this way, but not fortunate enough to be the first to drive up to it, then so be it. Every moment of my search is recorded via OBS so I'll at least end up with footage and an exact in-game location, perhaps even behaving as a wing beacon for people :)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Are you trying to say: "If you show me your hard points I'll show you mine"?

Teehee, sir you flatter me <3

Entirely possible if the whole barnacle being spelt wrong in the game files is true, as the game goes to find the files for the barnicle to render it on screen, can't find it (as it's not technically fond) so crash to desktop.

The crash brings up a automated report to Frontier menu, please add info menu, this has been happening since Horizons 64 bit release, not my end, I have 6 core cpu a gtx 970 4gb, 32 gb memory and all water cooled, so no probs my end even fibre internet....
It is a chain of poi's most I got was 10 all different then bam ctd......

I heard that the misspelling was fixed already but I'm not 100% sure if that was true or not.

Also, did I hear right that there are non-blue POIs that people suspect are out there? Or am I making that up?

Oh poop - we're about to blow this thread - well done Brookes!

Patau82 - get over here and 'do a Yaffle' :)

I need to sleep!

Oh - and what a truly excellent bunch you all are - honestly, this all makes my ED experience 10 times the awesome :D

As already discussed few days ago, I renew my offer to take care of the first post of the new thread.
Even if I'll be AFK for the week end, just let me know in time, and I'll be happy to reserve it, with the promise to keep it updated on a daily basis.

Cheers!

Following on? I think the Barnacle will be found around a crashed T9 due to the transport used for the UA, and this is a Barnacle seed on the planet that found the resources to survive,
given this and large Anaconda wrecks ie the support team with the T9, you need to find the wrecks, the UA is seeding on the planet, the other green and shaped thing in the video is a unknown base.....

Just my 2 cents....

I agree with you.. I have not found a crashed t9 or any other ship yet though.

I heard that the misspelling was fixed already but I'm not 100% sure if that was true or not.

Also, did I hear right that there are non-blue POIs that people suspect are out there? Or am I making that up?

I saw a red POI but it ended up being an exceptionally round crater :)

So, Obsidian Orbital is falling apart - the charity requests have been ramping up throughout the day. People are now starting to crash when exploring planets. It's really kinda funny. I know game crashes shouldn't have anything to do with in-world technical issues but you have to admit it's kinda funny when EVERYTHING starts crashing.

I just tried to log back in. My ship is docked at Obsidian Orbital with a UA on board. Immediately get "Connection Failed - Could not contact transaction server".

You die in the game, you die in real life?

So, Obsidian Orbital is falling apart - the charity requests have been ramping up throughout the day. People are now starting to crash when exploring planets. It's really kinda funny. I know game crashes shouldn't have anything to do with in-world technical issues but you have to admit it's kinda funny when EVERYTHING starts crashing.

I just tried to log back in. My ship is docked at Obsidian Orbital with a UA on board. Immediately get "Connection Failed - Could not contact transaction server".

You die in the game, you die in real life?

It is kinda fun to hear about these things happening. ''Oh no, the UAs have their next target... US!!'' :D

I don't envy those who have game crashes though. I'd be so mad haha

There is no mispelling error. MB already confirmed a couple days ago that the Barnacle POI is working correctly. It's just "exceedingly rare".
And
The POI color changes according to your HUD colors. Mine are always red, for example ;)

I'm expecting a flurry of exhausted people posting tomorrow. Many who have searched for hours and found nothing...

I almost hope someone finds it out of luck just so its over and we can get to making money... it should unlock a part of the story but after one is found (unless its a clue to another treasure hunt) it should be a dead end as far as any new "content" in the game. Hopefully it'll just point elsewhere and the clues are not so vague.

I'm expecting a flurry of exhausted people posting tomorrow. Many who have searched for hours and found nothing...

I almost hope someone finds it out of luck just so its over and we can get to making money... it should unlock a part of the story but after one is found (unless its a clue to another treasure hunt) it should be a dead end as far as any new "content" in the game. Hopefully it'll just point elsewhere and the clues are not so vague.

Well, mysteries are fun to solve but my primary motivation is still the same. I have a mission to complete and around 1 day left to finish it.

There is no mispelling error. MB already confirmed a couple days ago that the Barnacle POI is working correctly. It's just "exceedingly rare".
And
The POI color changes according to your HUD colors. Mine are always red, for example ;)

If I could rep you again I would, so instead let us make out. Passionately :p

does that mean the barnacle POIs are fixed and we just need to scour the surface of all the planets in the nebual, or that the procedural generation is exceedingly rare, meaning a lot of time for minimal return ?

Because it doesnt make sense to grind 1000 hours just to find one meta alloy. Thats the ultimate grind and a slap in the face from Fdev if that is the case. Id rather a bit more depth to the mystery

Last edited:
Flying over the night side of Merope 1 B and I get this overwhelming sense of excitement and frustration. I know these things are out there. Moreover, I know there are Devs at Front- I mean... unknown explorers who have already worked o- I mean... discovered these barnacles. They have seen them, named them, and know their function. We are so close but still, possibly, so far off. It's like pressing my face against the wrong side of a two-way mirror, with the answers just a pane of glass away. Its thickness unknown to me.

Where did he say that?

I think all MB said was that he had confirmed meta-alloys can found.

This was after a bunch of us queried it saying we were concerned it may be broke.

Of course meta-alloys != barnacles so....

Anyway it's 2am, would love to keep searching but have work tmrw.

Good luck all hopefully someone finds something tonight - get screenshots. :)

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom