UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Since MB specifically mentioned the Seven Sisters are we looking at the B Type stars and their planetary bodies first or are just checking everything in the nebula ?

Last edited:
Since MB specifically mentioned the Seven Sisters are we looking at the O Type stars and their planetary bodies first or are just checking everything in the nebula ?

covering all bases given the manpower base seems to be the best way forward. Given the collective failure to find barnicles in maia and merope

please consider

ok guys, two parts to this report....

part one.
i went back to the horizons trailer looking for any kind of clue. when they show the downed t9, six stars are visible in the background. i have considered this for a while, even landed and looked to see if i could recreate the angle, but in-game there are so many more stars in the sky, it makes me think this could be another clue. so ok, six stars. WAIT.....FIRMLY ATTACH TINFOIL HAT BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER

theorry.png

OK so let me explain a bit.

six stars are visible, i flipped the image in order to align it with some google images of the Pleiades, then tried to check off every star in the trailer with the actual stars. long story short, (my first hypothesis) we are left with Electra. Electra is a B star, and there are (as far as I can tell, im a bit new to exploring) there are only 3 bodies we can land on, all 100% metal, but one of them has silicate volcanism, the others iron volcanism. definitely narrows it down if this is correct.

NOW PART 2
after making this picture, i traveled to Electra in the hopes of recreating the sky from the trailer shot. that's when i realized the stars (don't seem to) don't align properly. at first glance (about 15 mins so far of trying to align them in the galmap) it seems the image would have to be taken from the other side of the nebula.....then i saw celaeno right there in the foreground. the closest alignment only fits (as far as I can tell, getting tired and trying to get this out fast) from Celeano, roughly looking towards Electra.
part2.png
ms paint FTW
any mistakes please forgive, it's time for me to go to sleep, but I think we should give this a serious consideration.

Last edited:
It could be but it doesnt fit micheal brookes comment that meta alloys are barnacles which grow around ships. And they are exceedingly rare POIS which might indicate a random eleement. The general consensus from the last 10 pages seems to be that we need to broaden the search to the entire paldies nebula as the over focus on maia isnt yielding results

My reasons for continuing the search on Maia B1BA is that we need to combine as many clues as possible to have the best chance of finding these things. We know that the Meta Alloys will be found in the Pleadies. We also know that Ishmael Palin seems to think there is something on Maia B1BA (a very out-of-the-way place) worth building a base camp near. He is using Survival Shelters to do this. From the description of Survival Shelters, they are supposedly very quick to set up but only provide a basic form of shelter, enough to keep people alive for a month or so (if I recall). Since he ordered so many of them, that may indicate that he is using them for a larger application than they would otherwise warrant, and probably expects to receive supplies from Obsidian Orbital. He predicted that he would have the base up and running within a week. Speed of setup was part of the reason he wanted the shelters. It's been two weeks at least.

Something has delayed him (or stopped him entirely). Obsidian Orbital is in no condition to supply anyone and can barely even manage to keep our ships repaired and refueled, from the reports we're getting. Something is going on here that wasn't planned and it seems focused on Maia.

The other clue we have regarding the Pleadies is the UA's pointing to Merope. This is older news, and has been pretty thoroughly investigated. I chose Maia because it is a newer thread and a newer mystery. Every day that passes now is one more day Palin is late, and one more day Obsidian Orbital has to struggle to remain operational. Something is happening right now in Maia, we just don't know what.

I fully support the efforts to widen the search - we have to explore EVERY possibility. But I still think Maia is important.

Last edited:
Yeah. Was just thinking the same. No planets there. Asterope is too far out I believe but close to alignment. Unless we are looking near the nebula and not in it.

Last edited:
true, kind of a bummer, but it still seems like incredibly unlikely that those stars that are in the trailer seem to align with the Pleiades. if you take it from a more basic standpoint (part 1 without trying to reconcile the galmap) then it does seem to exclude 6 stars from the equation, and I would suggest Electra. though, I don't understand why Merope would not be the culprit, being that the UA points there.

The problem with trying to line up stars with stuff is confirmation bias. I offer my own demonstration of it's maddening effects. This is the Pleiades, from the angle of Sol. I spent a long time on it, but could never find a reason to pick one spot over another.

test2.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with trying to line up stars with stuff is confirmation bias. I offer my own demonstration of it's maddening effects. This is the Pleiades, from the angle of Sol. I spent a long time on it, but could never find a reason to pick one spot over another.

yeah i understand what you are saying, just trying to explore every avenue. is it a coincidence that they only placed 6 stars in the trailer, when in-game there's nebulae, stars all over the place, so makes me think a possible clue. then looking at google pics of the Pleiades, it seems to look exactly like atlas and pleione next to the pyramid shape. that pattern does appear in the trailer. trying to figure out which stars are which is another story, but it seems like a clue. here is my last tinfoil mspaintjob, which would reconcile merope being the search point, with the same pattern that appears in the trailer.
tinfoil.png

am I still wrong? most likely, please don't throw bricks, as I believe my tinfoil layers are simultaneously cutting-off circulation, and baking my brain at this point.

fly safe

Welcome to the new Unknown Artifact (or artefact) thread!

The old one reached an event horizon where the forums would no longer cope with it, so we have a lovely new thread for you with plenty of room.

The first thread is here - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141038 and the second is here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=162998, and the third here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=175726

There's another thread on it here - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142106

There is also wiki - http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Unknown_Artefact and a whole website at http://canonn.science/

Now over to Arcanonn who will be your host...

yes it's spelled canonn here, as a nod to Arcanonn who started this...

hey guys and girls. I am sorry to interrupt you and your great work. I am Commander rainbow_donut_23. I have a theory on the UA. When they scan your ship they draw a picture of the closes ship. I don't think there just pictures. I think it's a star map. If you look at the picture is draws it dosent really look like the ship your flying. I thought this would be a good way to hide a map. Then I thought. when a line meets a line that's where a star is. Then I tested that out on the vulture. It look like a brid eye view of some stars on owe Galaxy map. This is a theory that's I thought u guys would maybe have not tryed yet. thank you for reading.

Thanks

rainbow_donut_23

post a pic maybe but also that would mean like a different map for every ship? different systems or the same? idk, post pics if it looks close

Still nothing from Maia B1BA (or as I like to call it, Palin's Rock). I did find a large mining complex at 0,0 which seems to be a fixed POI. It was quite visible from about 6km up and did not create a blue signature on the radar. Trashed it and the miners there, but all it dropped were uninteresting mining fragments. No Meta-Alloys. Funny thing though, in a crater a few km away I found another mining outpost, a bit smaller.

Could be that the area around 0,0 on Palin's Rock (AKA Maia B1BA) is littered with mining camps. If you're on the theory that meta-alloys are naturally formed in planets and these Ant Hill guys are trying to mine them, could be worth checking out. Notably, that part of the planet is pretty well lit.

As usual, my UA was unimpressed by anything there. Couldnt' discern any difference in its vocalizations.

I'm at Maia B1BA, hovering over 0,0. No such mining complex that I can see.

post a pic maybe but also that would mean like a different map for every ship? different systems or the same? idk, post pics if it looks close

Your on the right track. So each ship. Let's say that smallest ship to Te biggest ship there all a peace of a larger map u just gotta find where the map belongs

They mite all a bit messed up but it's the only thing I have not see any own do. Also idk how to post a pic

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom