UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Been roving around Pleione, just had a random crash to desktop. Never had a crash in Elite in the year I've owned it, odd. Going to load back in and keep searching. Nothing out of the ordinary other than the crash which has never happened to me before.

I'm not sure why, but I have a funny feeling about Pleione! Probably nothing, but there sure are a lot of planets to keep me busy at least!

I'm at Maia B1BA, hovering over 0,0. No such mining complex that I can see.

belay that. think i might have found it. all 5 stingers are already :):):):):):) and I'm not very close. -.69, .81. attempting to destroy...

edit... nevermind... just some canisters around a crash site.

Last edited:
post a pic maybe but also that would mean like a different map for every ship? different systems or the same? idk, post pics if it looks close

hey. I am just gonna ask anyway all I need is all the pictures of all the ships when the artefact scans you. All the ships possible. So I can make this map. It's the next clue. I am sure. U may help if you won't. Also if you don't have the pictures is there any who does that I can ask???

MB confirmed they were in the game prior to the micro patch. My money is on that something is still broken, and the CTD's are related to an issue with them spawning.

Without knowing how COBRA operates, I cannot really diagnose the issue (that and I'm too far away from SOL to help out)

Huh...I just had a crash to desktop too. Was going longer than I've ever gone in the SRV before to test out (I think it was Dreelan's) comment that he always crashed out after 10 or so PoI's in his SRV. I'd found probably more than 10 when it died. Nothing special on the scanner when it went. I had a large cargo dump quite close on the left (mostly junk like explosives) and had just picked up a datapoint off in the distance ahead right when it froze and dumped me.

Definitely a bug here, but not sure it's related to barnacles. Sadly I didn't have verbose logging on as it always resets after a patch, but I doubt the logging would show much when the game dumps to desktop.

I was driving for hours, though I took several breaks some which were quite lengthy (leaving myself logged in and in the SRV). I encountered lots of cargo guarded by skimmers, three human bases guarded by skimmers, and a few crashed nav beacons (all but one guarded by skimmers).

yeah i understand what you are saying, just trying to explore every avenue. is it a coincidence that they only placed 6 stars in the trailer, when in-game there's nebulae, stars all over the place, so makes me think a possible clue. then looking at google pics of the Pleiades, it seems to look exactly like atlas and pleione next to the pyramid shape. that pattern does appear in the trailer. trying to figure out which stars are which is another story, but it seems like a clue. here is my last tinfoil mspaintjob, which would reconcile merope being the search point, with the same pattern that appears in the trailer.
View attachment 93254

am I still wrong? most likely, please don't throw bricks, as I believe my tinfoil layers are simultaneously cutting-off circulation, and baking my brain at this point.

fly safe

Have you considered that the clarity and resolution of the video is less than in game? I like your train of thought, but it is evident that the trailer is not as detailed as the game.

Huh...I just had a crash to desktop too. Was going longer than I've ever gone in the SRV before to test out (I think it was Dreelan's) comment that he always crashed out after 10 or so PoI's in his SRV. I'd found probably more than 10 when it died. Nothing special on the scanner when it went. I had a large cargo dump quite close on the left (mostly junk like explosives) and had just picked up a datapoint off in the distance ahead right when it froze and dumped me.

Definitely a bug here, but not sure it's related to barnacles. Sadly I didn't have verbose logging on as it always resets after a patch, but I doubt the logging would show much when the game dumps to desktop.

I was driving for hours, though I took several breaks some which were quite lengthy (leaving myself logged in and in the SRV). I encountered lots of cargo guarded by skimmers, three human bases guarded by skimmers, and a few crashed nav beacons (all but one guarded by skimmers).

The goddess known as micheal brookes will be along shortly to confirm either that they are spawning bug we are bugging out ( typical fdev nothing works as intended) or to give us a new tip or hint, or maybe nothing at all, my guess is the first person to discover may not report to us straight away and may instead wait on the news and then be outed.

Or maybe we are so focused on 3-4 systems and planets that we arent looking widely enough. But then could be wrong and it could be a one in a milliion spawn , once it si found Fdev might make them more common, that was the way the UAs are. Even large data caches were 110,000 until a lot were sold and now they sell for 11,000 ( or that was just antoher nerf)

The goddess known as micheal brookes will be along shortly to confirm either that they are spawning bug we are bugging out ( typical fdev nothing works as intended) or to give us a new tip or hint, or maybe nothing at all, my guess is the first person to discover may not report to us straight away and may instead wait on the news and then be outed.

Or maybe we are so focused on 3-4 systems and planets that we arent looking widely enough. But then could be wrong and it could be a one in a milliion spawn , once it si found Fdev might make them more common, that was the way the UAs are. Even large data caches were 110,000 until a lot were sold and now they sell for 11,000 ( or that was just antoher nerf)

You're pretty random. Shouldn't you be looking for more crashed T9's in Atlas or selling more of that mystery commodity you said you found?

I'm pretty sure that MB is starting to wonder why no-one has reported finding anything yet given many people have been looking in roughly the right area for a few weeks. There's certainly plenty of options for why though that don't involve bugs. The bug I reported appears to be time or number of PoI based rather than anything sinister.

It just needs eyes focussed everywhere - no harm in flying and driving. To be honest, if they're a low-probability POI, then it won't matter if you drive over an area somebody's already flown over or vice versa.

If manually placed, then I agree - low-level flying recon would be best. Probably upside down so you can see more of the land in front of you. That's what I hope to do tomorrow - although as a Rift player with an aversion to flying IRL it's a bit nerve wracking!

I want to emphasize that these are likely statically placed POI's. As per https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=221303 :

• Shouldn't have to drive away from the crashed ship sites and Barnacles to be able to recall your ship.

This is not how a random POI behaves. This is how static (permanent) unmarked locations behave. I.e the crashed ship on Charon that was hinted at in the Sol Galnet.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

MB confirmed they were in the game prior to the micro patch. My money is on that something is still broken, and the CTD's are related to an issue with them spawning.

Without knowing how COBRA operates, I cannot really diagnose the issue (that and I'm too far away from SOL to help out)

Sorry, no. When we were hunting for the crashed ship on Charon, we had plenty of (shared) CTD's between the people there. It's just Horizons bugs. Not related to barnacles. Please don't read every bug and crash as a gateway to secrets.

Well I m looking at this system

View attachment 93179

The first one is 100% metal and the last is a small 500km one. The system is inside the nebula. I think this system is pretty good to look at and will be easy to survey.

I'll sign off for the night :)
i was there yesterday. it does not get dark on the first planet. its just too close to the sun. oh and i found nothing of course.

yeah i understand what you are saying, just trying to explore every avenue. is it a coincidence that they only placed 6 stars in the trailer, when in-game there's nebulae, stars all over the place, so makes me think a possible clue. then looking at google pics of the Pleiades, it seems to look exactly like atlas and pleione next to the pyramid shape. that pattern does appear in the trailer. trying to figure out which stars are which is another story, but it seems like a clue. here is my last tinfoil mspaintjob, which would reconcile merope being the search point, with the same pattern that appears in the trailer.
View attachment 93254

am I still wrong? most likely, please don't throw bricks, as I believe my tinfoil layers are simultaneously cutting-off circulation, and baking my brain at this point.

fly safe

I didn't mean anything like that, go nuts, I was just saying be careful. The tinfoil plays tricks. =]

Does this translate to a system name somehow?
7Hl7i9R.jpg

If it can in any way be related to barnacles, then I'd say it point to a 5th sister in Pleiades - Celaeno.
P(leiades)R(oot of)5(5th star, she had 5 children), row 2 (2nd planet), 5 and 6 seat (5th and 6th moon there)

But I don't even know if Celaeno has any planets.

I want to emphasize that these are likely statically placed POI's. As per https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=221303 :

• Shouldn't have to drive away from the crashed ship sites and Barnacles to be able to recall your ship.

This is not how a random POI behaves. This is how static (permanent) unmarked locations behave. I.e the crashed ship on Charon that was hinted at in the Sol Galnet.

Sorry, no. When we were hunting for the crashed ship on Charon, we had plenty of (shared) CTD's between the people there. It's just Horizons bugs. Not related to barnacles. Please don't read every bug and crash as a gateway to secrets.

Well u would think with hundreds and thousands of playes and nearly a week of working barnaicles-meta alloys there would be something ( in any game a feature thats meant to be even rare as meta alloys are meant to be at the moemtn should have yielded something) which then sherlock would say the obvious solution is the one thats right in front of us, something is still bugged

And we know from experience that Fdevs programming talent to get things working as intended, and to quality approaval process to make sure theres no buggy code, is not very good at all.

Im gunna call a bug , or a loot table / POI placement table something server database side query is out and Micheal brookes has just been stringing us along itll the find it would lvoe to be proven wrong for once

Are you following any sort of method for covering Maia B1BA?
I'm heading there now to park my ship, and will continue another day

I've been focusing on the planet's equator. It's almost universally light there - odd since at the poles it's almost pitch black. Not sure why. It's easier to see the ground when you can -- see the ground. So I've been doing flyovers, looking for anything big enough to be visible from the sky. Basically I start at 0,0 and go west.

Should a new thread be started for the meta alloys / barnacles, given this thread is/was for the unknown artifact? So many posts are made it's hard to keep up.

An attempt was made to set up a subforum to make things easier to sort, but despite the poll getting nearly unianimous votes in favor, FD said they weren't going to be opening any new subforums for the time being.

I'm at Maia B1BA, hovering over 0,0. No such mining complex that I can see.

Here is what I saw:
EliteDangerous64%202016-01-07%2019-09-46-57.jpg

I agree that large barnacles are most likely statically placed (either by hand or procedurally) given that patch note, however smaller barnacles being random encounters probably shouldn't be ruled out just yet.

I agree the CTD's are most likely a red herring, but there's always the possibility they relate to a certain type of PoI (of which there are really quite a lot...could be a quite mundane PoI causing a crash, and it's not a given that every CTD is caused by the one problem). FD will be working on it regardless as they'll have a bunch of crash reports so they'll fix it eventually.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom