UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
or someone with a LOT of time will get together and try and search each moon grid by grid.. but even that would take years. They'd have to get lucky on that front as well.

I presume like most things in the game that its just a roll of the dice. I doubt they are in fixed locations. But either way, fixed or random, since they are apparently rare, its going to be a matter of luck.

I've been focusing on the planet's equator. It's almost universally light there - odd since at the poles it's almost pitch black. Not sure why. It's easier to see the ground when you can -- see the ground. So I've been doing flyovers, looking for anything big enough to be visible from the sky. Basically I start at 0,0 and go west.

If you want max visibility, max out your gamma setting in graphics. It can make dark places quite bright.

I presume like most things in the game that its just a roll of the dice. I doubt they are in fixed locations. But either way, fixed or random, since they are apparently rare, its going to be a matter of luck.

I just hope the database query tables on both fixed - random POIs are working as intended. Because if not if its a server side issue no ones gunna be finding them. Hopeful we get another hint within the next week, i get the feeling that Fdev want us to find them so they can go galnet and move the story forward. But because we havent found them then its getting stuck - its a good thing, but what happens when u attempt to play manual duengon master to much, some automation / script background simulation improvements and tiying it in with galactic mysteries would be a better way forward

Well I searched Atlas all last night, with all the green trenches on all of the landable planets I thought I would get lucky, but nope.

28 Beacons
35 Gold Sites
23 Tea Sites
6 Crashed Ships
5 Old satellites

Anyone else keeping track?

Well I searched Atlas all last night, with all the green trenches on all of the landable planets I thought I would get lucky, but nope.

28 Beacons
35 Gold Sites
23 Tea Sites
6 Crashed Ships
5 Old satellites

Anyone else keeping track?

Do you fly from PoI to PoI or drive?

I had about 40 sites in atalas today about 12 were crashed ships, referenced to the anaconda and type 9 comment a few pages back, but none of them yielded meta alloys or barnaciles

I also had abotu 10 other systems i searched (been at it for 14 hours) and nothing, even for an exceedingly rare thing, i would expect meta alloys to spawn unless its a 1 in a milion thing, and then really if that is the case its fdev trolling us :p or at least making us grind so much it drives us a bit loony

Last edited:
I had about 40 sites in atalas today about 12 were crashed ships, referenced to the anaconda and type 9 comment a few pages back, but none of them yielded meta alloys or barnaciles

I also had abotu 10 other systems i searched (been at it for 14 hours) and nothing, even for an exceedingly rare thing, i would expect meta alloys to spawn unless its a 1 in a milion thing, and then really if that is the case its fdev trolling us :p or at least making us grind so much it drives us a bit loony

Do you fly or drive between PoIs? Also were the crashed T9's and Anacondas static PoIs or random?

Should a new thread be started for the meta alloys / barnacles, given this thread is/was for the unknown artifact? So many posts are made it's hard to keep up.

Possibly - although we'll be on Thread 5 soon - giving us a chance to refocus the front page, and the Barnacles most definitely should be pulled into the UA 'thing' I think - the UA shell>Merope->Pleiades>Barnacle correlation is a little too obvious to be coincidence in my book.

I also back Rizal to take 2nd post (as mods usually take the first). I'll be happy to take the third post for other updates if need be, although there's probably no need!

Any crashes to Desktop?

No, only issue was Landing on one of the planets and then my Conda popped inside the planet.

Help inside planet.jpg

No more hints needed - just hard science.

Keep at it, keep scouring, keep flying/driving/investigating however people see fit. 24 hours is not an unreasonable amount of time to find a rare site. 1 week isn't unreasonable, even 2.

What's needed is more people - Nicholas Powell's Biscuit Barrels proved, that with a concentrated effort by lots of CMDRs, the low chances of random spawns can be mitigated.

Keep plugging CMDRs - somebody will get lucky soon!

Well u would think with hundreds and thousands of playes and nearly a week of working barnaicles-meta alloys there would be something ( in any game a feature thats meant to be even rare as meta alloys are meant to be at the moemtn should have yielded something) which then sherlock would say the obvious solution is the one thats right in front of us, something is still bugged

I would most certainly not expect anything from so few people working in random and chaotic manners. Do you realize how much area there is to cover? It's like saying you're surprised that we haven't fully explored the milky way yet, with so many people.

As I stated earlier, a single 750 km planet (which is quite small as planets goes) is over 7 million square kilometers of area. The fastest ships fly at maybe 1400-1500 km/hr. It'll take you over 3 hours to fly around the same planet at an average 400m/s

That's the thing about space. It's huge. Planets are mindbogglingly large. We don't even know which planet(s) to look at. Sure someone might get randomly lucky, but it's incredibly unlikely. Unless we can see it from orbital cruise, any systematic search, even by 100+ players, is going to be tediously slow. Also you need to fly pretty low to see anything. Most objects are small when you're 1 km away.

I've found a crashed static POI ship on Charon (with a group of 5-6 of us searching). We knew the Lat and Long and planet. It took time.

I've failed to find another static POI crashed ship by myself, also knowing the Lat/Long/Planet. I search for hours within the area specified in the "missing ship" galnet message.

TLDR: Planets are big. Systematic searches are not likely to be effective, and random luck (unless they are really or extremely obvious from a large distance) is statistically unlikely.

Also, UA's originally were rare but could be found by mass people because they randomly appeared. Exceedingly rare, but still random. Specific location a planet in a 100 ly bubble (even if Merope seems most likely) is a whole other ballgame. Doesn't help that the POI system in general is very annoying and filled to the brim with tea.

No, only issue was Landing on one of the planets and then my Conda popped inside the planet.

View attachment 93268
Two ways to solve this:
1. Start season 1 Elite and log in. The game should ask you or tell you, that you are now back in Orbit.

2. As you can fly inside the planets, approach the surface/roof very carefully. I once was able to get out with careful upwards thrusting. Do it too fast and sour ship might explode. Method 1 might be preferred in a high-rebuy ship...

Last edited:
Ok so now is time to say my theory I've been stewing over but haven't said yet:

The UA's, when dropped from an SRV, tell us the name of the planet they are on yes?
Well we haven't really experimented with this behavior yet. I'd say it's a good idea to go looking with a UA, every time you land on a planet you should drop it from your SRV, listen to it, and see if it only says the name of the planet. I wouldn't mind betting if you land on a planet with Barnacles on it will let you know some how.
This is all guesswork but I'd say it's better to try it and not get results than not try it and never find em ;)

I knew something was up when I switched on this morning & found FORTY pages to catch up on! :eek:

Yes, Earth Barnacles communicate (by chemicals), so that if one attaches to a surface more are likely to do so (for cross-pollination) - so I suspect you are correct. We have seen a video example (page 576, #8628 by Cmdr Zaratan) of two UAs apparently singing to each other, & I was surprised that video didn't get more attention. Perhaps we can learn something from that song to help in understanding of the SRV wavescanner pattern or (as you say) use the UA themselves as a search scanner. However I suspect the behaviour may be more subtle than a change in the morse; I think that is the UAs signalling other UAs where they have landed (their "chemical" signal). Think this is a job for Riz & the Morse/Audio experts

What happened to the thread?

We've got old school canonneers ragequitting and for the first time not just one, but three trolls trying to commandeer the entire mystery for themselves?

Because it was so early in the morning (and, no I wasn't drunk - it was a school night!) - am reposting this:

There's a paint job or bobblehead on offer as a finder's fee to the first individual or wing (since this might require some coordination!) to come here with a Barnacle find, and who wait to get verified by other CMDRs: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=195658&p=3385197&viewfull=1#post3385197

Good luck all - hope to be joining the search tonight!

I will visit and investigate Rosette and Seagull Nebula areas during this weekend on my way back to the bubble. Might consider looking at other nebulas also. Will report if I find anything interesting.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom