UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I agree with this method and I wouldn't worry about tidal lock. I think the barnacles may like a little light from time to time.

I think Ayal was just meaning that this method of search is most useful in the dark side of planets, not necessarily tidally locked. Meaning essentially to fly-by-night, since that's when lights will be more visible.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

While i use this way of detecting POI myself i do feel the need to let people know that this really depends on your individual graphical setting. I run the game on a laptop with 840m graphics and I do not see the POI untill i am about 2-3 km above it. It depends alot on what type it is as well. If you are going to use this method i do suggest that you test it on a few POI before you determine what range you want to fly at.

Cmdr Morkel
Agreed. Still a very useful test that could save lots of time once you know you are searching for something that emits light, and how far you should be able to see it from.

Last edited:
Pleione 4?

Methinks Pleione is yellow and Pleione 4 has 1.8G

I spent just a few minutes there before CTD, but going to go back in a while.

Also, light sources are visible up to 10km or so only after they've spawned at 1-2km... in my experience that is.

as close to 2g would be too much according to my test. I prefer Pleone 6 with 1.25g

Testlanding on planet with 0.7g: Thruster point around 30° upwards.
Testlanding on planet with 2g: Thruster point aroun 45° downwards.

Hence, the trailer planet as to be fairly close to 1g (1.0-1.2?).

Anybody found planets/moons with such a gravity in the nebula?

I don't have the systems in my head, but I think it's fairly close to the Nebula.
CaptureHT.PNG

Gravity is at least between 1 and 2.

I use this trailer version: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/elite-dangerous-horizons-launch-trailer/2300-6428661/

It's slightly better quality than the YouTube video.

I think Ayal was just meaning that this method of search is most useful in the dark side of planets, not necessarily tidally locked. Meaning essentially to fly-by-night, since that's when lights will be more visible.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Agreed. Still a very useful test that could save lots of time once you know you are searching for something that emits light and how far you should be able to see it from.

Well, we know that it lights up when there is an SRV present, not neccesarily before its approached. :rolleyes:

While i use this way of detecting POI myself i do feel the need to let people know that this really depends on your individual graphical setting. I run the game on a laptop with 840m graphics and I do not see the POI untill i am about 2-3 km above it. It depends alot on what type it is as well. If you are going to use this method i do suggest that you test it on a few POI before you determine what range you want to fly at.

Cmdr Morkel

A10-6800K and R9 380 2GB at ultra settings, I also see things spawn at about 2km. Lights do stay visible at longer distances, they just don't spawn that far.

e: draw distance at max too. doesn't seem to affect spawn distance...

Last edited:

Jupp. That was my point to.

One more look at trailer, please:
Did you check the wheel thruster orientations throughout the trailer?

They change as in in-game according to gravity. During the T9 crash and the "barnacle" scene they are tilted early the same: slightly downward.

If parts of the trailer were shot in-game or the thruster orientation was build in as a hint, I can deduct to things:
1. The barnacle planet is equal/above 1g in gravity, as downwards thruster want to push the SRV up for gravity compensation.
2. The T9 and the barnacle scene might belong together.

1. could be used to limit the search to higher gravity planets.
2. could be used to find the locatation by spotting a T9 wreck from high above.

I checked Merope, Maia and Atlas and out of the three systems only the landable planets Atlas B1 (0.82G), B2 (0.75G) and B3 (0.98G) are close to 1G.

Last edited:
Well, we know that it lights up when there is an SRV present, not neccesarily before its approached. :rolleyes:
True. Still worth working under the assumption that you can get away with a "lighter" search from a ship, and if you get nothing you can always go back and try a detailed one from an SRV. For all we know the structures might be underground all the time and come to the surface just when the SRV is around, or when it has the lights on, or when you are playing Van Halen's "Runnin' with the Devil" full blast from the SRV speakers :)

Guys I did an experiment with flint today : so I was investigating tygeta system , in one of the planets I saw a poi and it was a mining farm , it also emitted light that's how I saw it in the dark side of the planet . So I started raising the altitude to find out how long I can see the light on the planet surface form the mine farm , the result was about 9 and 10 km , so this means that most lights coming from anything can be seen up to about 10 km , so this means that the barnacles green light can be detected up to about 7 to 10 km . So as I said focus your attention on green lights emitted from the dark side of the planet instead of pois ( not saying don't look for pois I'm saying focus on those that could emit green lights ) that's how we might find the barnacles ,
hope my conclusion of this experiment helps :)

I'm sorry but there may be a flaw in your testing protocol :(
What about the "spawn" distance of the object ?
I mean if you spotted the mining POI before rising up to 10km altitude, maybe it is flawed because the POI is already spawned and you didn't leaved the instance ?
And that 10km distance maybe out of range for usual POI intial spawn ?

Edit : Burned to ashes. Multiple times.
God that thread move so fast :D

Last edited:
Think I'll head "thataway" and look for EGG shaped features (craters/mountains) in low level OC flyovers... something just nagging at me:

"..many clues already..."
"anyone cracked it yet?"
"..Not on some goose chase"

[my those tinfoil hats have some crinkley edges- hard to fall asleep sometimes]

Last edited:
I'm sorry but there may be a flaw in your testing protocol :(
What about the "spawn" distance of the object ?
I mean if you spotted the mining POI before rising up to 10km altitude, maybe it is flawed because the POI is already spawned and you didn't leaved the instance ?
And that 10km distance maybe out of range for usual POI intial spawn ?

The hope is that they are permanent structures, not spawning POIs.

I checked Merope, Maia and Atlas and out of the three systems only the landable planets Atlas B1 (0.82G), B2 (0.75G) and B3 (0.98G) are close to 1G.

Heading there now, as the sun is also yellow.

Edit: Thrusters were absolutely horizontal on Atlas B3. A bit more gravity than 1.0g would be a better fit.

Last edited:
"As you get low enough, the scanner starts to show the surface height map.
It'd be awesome to raise the altitude where that starts significantly and then overlay the areas you fly over onto the surface map."

I'd like this too - you get extra height on the scanner with your landing gear down - at the expense of speed.

Last edited:
I'd agree with you in the context of a traditional story. From the perspective of a multi-player game that has 400 Billion star systems, not so sure.

There are lots of other aliens out there, they will have their own agendas. If we conflate them, that's our problem, not theirs.

Cheers,

Drew.

You make a good point, thanks for the input Drew! However the problem here was the person I was responding to was making an argument against searching the Pleiades because they thought the UA and the Barnacles were not related in any way. As Michael Brookes has been kind enough to confirm, the Pleiades is indeed were we should be looking. So it does seem in this case they are at least linked, albeit still no evidence of them being associated with the same alien race necessarily.

Ok then, how about something a little more catchy for the new thread title?

THIS, This is the best thing I have seen on this thread to date!

Somebody prod me when the new thread is up. I'm likely to miss these things.

Can't wait to get home from work tonight and have a bit more of a search around! It's a shame to see that guy a few of us ignored last night is still here, confusing the people who play during the day.

I still believe Merope is our best bet. The UAs are our friends in this search, they are not to be ignored.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom