UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
"green key" with 34;49;97 RGB
(x;y;z) in three dimensional Cartesian coordinate
(31.5; 55.2) in spherical
31.5 + 180 = 211.5
55.2 + 180 = 235.2

yeap its useless :D

yeah, I've been working along these lines... slowly tracking through my list from thread 7

EDIT - Well linking to the locked thread lost all the contained spoilers... meh

EDIT: WARNING WALL OF TEXT AND MATH INCOMING

I’ve been looking at the theory that the corner makings are binary numbers that provide Z X Y coordinates.

This works somewhat if you consider that the UP points at the centre of 5C and the centre of 5C is z=0 y=0 and x=0

if the things around the image are binary there are 4 numbers
-|--|||----|

There are three main issues with this theory:
1. Z X Y only needs 3 coordinates, while the picture provides 4;
2. If the binary is correct, the coordinates must be in the northern and eastern hemispheres as they are all positive numbers...(well maybe, bur we will get to this); and
3. The binary information contains significant redundancies e.g. -|- =2 but |- = 2 similarly --| = 1 but -| =1 and |=1 also -|| = 3 and || = 3. The only binary that doesn’t have the redundancy at the front is |-- = 4

To me these issues create the following difficulties:
1. For me it is far from easy to work out the math and I’m not sure I’m using the correct formula
2. There are 24 different permutations of the numbers. This makes for a lot of math and a lot of checking;
3. Why would FDev introduce a 4th number when it isn’t required. Unless the 4th number is meant to symbolise something else (my original thought was the third moon, but is that really needed when the UP points at merope 5C?...assuming that they are coordinates for 5C);
4. Are there number redundancies? Are Fdev substituting the first binary as a positive or negative (it’s a binary method of having –ve numbers, google it if you care). IF FDev are using –ve or +ve numbers which is which? – or |?

The upside of the –ve +ve number idea is that it reduces the binary numbers greater than zero to 3. It result in 12 different coordinate possibilities (6-ve possibilities and 6+ve possibilities which is an improvement on 24).However it creates several problems:

1. to achieve 90 degrees from a centre point in a sphere (in any direction) you need a value of between 4 and -4 (well unless there is some other way to math it that I’m unaware of). Assuming that the first binary symbol is the –ve or +ve it isn’t possible to have a value of 4 (not enough binary digits);
2. all the numbers would be –ve or +ve, so there is no spatial advantage for FDev in using a –ve or +ve number, assuming |-- or 4 is the number now = 0 or -0.

Working on the theory here are the 24 binary number combinations

Using the following formulas we can work out the Z, X ,Y angles:

angle radians = atan2(z, sqrt(x*x+y*y))
other angle in in radians= atan2 (y,x)

This formula assumes that the binary values give a distance (doesn't matter the unit) relative to each other, that allows us to calculate the angles.

Of the 24 options these are the angles (lat and long in radians):

The radians can then be converted to degrees (otherwise known as Lat and Long). There is a complex formula using pi but it's about 1 radian = 57.296 degrees:
which gives an untidy table like this:

The lat long table includes the 6+ve coordinates if we go with the binary redundancy theory. However, I haven't bothered calculating the coordinates related to the -ve values yet...

The LAT and LONG coordinates in nice clean tables that are sorted by LAT (left table) and LONG (right table) for easy searching is here:

you will notice each lat has 2 longs and vice versa.

I don't have Horizons, otherwise I would check the coordinates. I hope the math is right :)

Cmdr Sealento, out, o7

As an aside, my theory of the central image is that it is simply a celestial body and has relevant markers as per below.
wqoKX8e.png

Edited. 24/07/2016 at 12:20 PM Reason: added warning

[/SPOILER]

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
That too.

Seriously. I hold back on a lot in this forum because i don't believe in baselessly shutting down speculation with no proof of my own to show otherwise. Unfortunately i rarely see the same philosophy shown by others, but whatever, different strokes, different blokes.

But every time MB pops his head in here (which is entirely appreciated)

This.

Happens.

Every.

Time.

Mr brooks, Mr brooks! Please inundate me with hints!

MB said this which I've vaguely interpreted as something which i have no other way too prove. It must be fact!

No that theory isn't right, MB said something which i can't actually quote and link anywhere (because it never actually got said) so you're wrong!

Everyone's heard me rant that this stuff is indicative of the need for more tangible ingame leads to follow, no matter how vague, and the UP is a great example of this in action and FD deserve high praise for it.

But seriously. Demanding hints and complaining that we haven't solved this after a *week*? What the actual...

Edit: this is not meant to sound critical of fd or mb. They've done real good on this one and as i said, they deserve a lot of praise. The community shouldn't spoil it with this stuff.

Bah I repped your first post, but you surely deserve some for this one too.

I logged into game to try and science my quoted theory. Frustration and more questions.

The problem is the Elite Galaxy Online Orrery view doesn't really line up with what is seen in game. Now I understand that orreries in general don't tend to be to scale, and neither is the online viewer. Otherwise we'd have to show planets and moons the size of needle points in an area larger that football fields. My problem is the orientation of the orbits of the planets and moons don't match. Let me illustrate:

http://i.imgur.com/MX8g3wk.png

So the above shows the Elite Galaxy Online representation of Merope. I did my best to look down on the on the planetary plane and I took a screenshot of the system, as shown in the bottom right. Then I carefully panned and zoomed without changing the view orientation, and took another screenshot of the Merope 5 star, as seen in the top left. It's a bit hard to see because of the light displayed by Elite Galaxy Online, but the asteroid belt as well as the orbits of Merope 5a and Merope 5b around the Merope 5 star is shown along the same plane as the rest of the planet orbits around the main Merope star.

However, this is not the case in game. Here is another in game screenshot where I positioned myself directly between Merope and Merope 5, looking towards Merope 5:

http://i.imgur.com/6dYUHr4.png

Look at the radar, you can see that Merope and Merope 5 are on the same plane and I am directly in between them. Now look at Merope 5 above, with the orbit of Merope 5a shown. The asteroid belt and plane of Merope 5 is almost perpendicular to the line between Merope and Merope 5. Not what the Elite Galaxy Online shows at all. Maybe that's what an Orrery is supposed to do, I don't personally know. But all I have accomplished is to prove that using the Elite Galaxy Online orrery to solve this puzzle is not possible and shouldn't be done.

Another thing I discovered is I could not, regardless of what I tried, get the Merope 5 orbit line to show up. I still wanted to try to fly to the intersection of the Merope 5 and Merope 5b orbit lines and see what happened, but it was impossible because of in game mechanics/bugs.

So now my questions:

- Is the fact I can't get Merope 5 to generate an orbit line a bug, or has the Merope system been altered by FD and Merope 5 isn't orbiting at all? If so, that would be pretty significant.
- I also don't understand orbital mechanics. Merope 6 shows an orbit line around Merope 5, but is shown in the list as being a child of Merope (the main star). The way I understand it, Merope 6 should actually be Merope 5d, and shown as a child of Merope 5.

Good try. Maybe you need artefact in cargo to open gates or start trigger on the planet? Because artefact is a key literally.

Another theory about puzzle.. As M.B. said some smart guy from JPL solve this puzzle. Imagine that he is not elite player but he know the astronomy things. Maybe we need to view puzzle from perspective of only astronomy without links to ingame content and lore?

We know that puzzle have markers and degrees. Know that it use Voyager message binary symbols (guy from nasa must know it too). We don't know what clarifying questions is JPL-smart-guy asked M.B.

Maybe we need to start from beginning and read again first theories?

That too.

Seriously. I hold back on a lot in this forum because i don't believe in baselessly shutting down speculation with no proof of my own to show otherwise. Unfortunately i rarely see the same philosophy shown by others, but whatever, different strokes, different blokes.

But every time MB pops his head in here (which is entirely appreciated)

This.

Happens.

Every.

Time.

Mr brooks, Mr brooks! Please inundate me with hints!

MB said this which I've vaguely interpreted as something which i have no other way too prove. It must be fact!

No that theory isn't right, MB said something which i can't actually quote and link anywhere (because it never actually got said) so you're wrong!

Everyone's heard me rant that this stuff is indicative of the need for more tangible ingame leads to follow, no matter how vague, and the UP is a great example of this in action and FD deserve high praise for it.

But seriously. Demanding hints and complaining that we haven't solved this after a *week*? What the actual...

Edit: this is not meant to sound critical of fd or mb. They've done real good on this one and as i said, they deserve a lot of praise. The community shouldn't spoil it with this stuff.

i am jokingly asking for hints and im not the only one so reel ur neck lol this isnt a thread for slinging matches, if you dont agree then ignore but like i said im not the only person askin for guidance

I know at least one guy from JPL does :)

Michael

Good try. Maybe you need artefact in cargo to open gates or start trigger on the planet? Because artefact is a key literally.

Another theory about puzzle.. As M.B. said some smart guy from JPL solve this puzzle. Imagine that he is not elite player but he know the astronomy things. Maybe we need to view puzzle from perspective of only astronomy without links to ingame content and lore?

We know that puzzle have markers and degrees. Know that it use Voyager message binary symbols (guy from nasa must know it too). We don't know what clarifying questions is JPL-smart-guy asked M.B.

Can we be careful with misquotes MB said someone from JPL does in response to someone asking

"Don't. :)
You cannot imagine how many times I felt like that in this thread.
So many ultra-smart people around!

I suspect at Nasa they are all playing ED, and a couple of them are becoming mad about this puzzle ;)"

This doesnt mean they've solved it just playing the game

Another theory about puzzle.. As M.B. said some smart guy from JPL solve this puzzle.

Seriously, stop "quoting." The artifact is a key? Never said. The JPL guy solved the puzzle? Nope, he plays the game.

Just thinking, has anyone measured the angles on the 4th segment? I.e. is this a "golden triangle" (isosceles 72,72,36 degrees)?

If it is, we could fit a logarithmic spiral into it to zero in on a location... That just leaves us to work out what the radius is (merope 5c to 5? 5c to merope? UA shell to merope?) a little bit of maths and then we'd have a search area at the "end" (approximately) of the spiral

The golden ratio pops up over and over and over in nature, including insects.... Pi is a universal constant (hah!). Pi etc was used on the voyager et all plates from what I recall

One question for Michael if he could be so kind. This I think is important because it will determine who will really be able to participate.

Is the next step in the process something anyone can do? Is it simple enough most players could achieve it? Or does it continue to require outside programs, math etc?

How accessible is the next part of the puzzle?

(Reason being my math skills suck, my geometry is good but I'd rather someone narrow the parameters and then let the bulk of us explorers go out and search for the next piece with guidelines. That is the ultimate fun for people who like to look and explore for new things)

Last edited:
After reading most of the threads on here (and not actively taking part as I'm running to Jaques), I can't shake the feeling that top right, ((-||, is something broadcasting/transmitting. Specifically the (( being a quarter circle. It's used a lot to indicate a 'signal' broadcast of some kind or to represent sound. See https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=broadcast+icon click images for many examples, some stylised but many with the quarter circle lines.

Sees to me that part of the image is something, in close proximity, broadcasting/transmitting to the planet.

At this point, my imagination runs away and I can't back anything with reasoning... maybe I'm being too literal in looking at the image.

I'm sure I remember reading that now we have the image from the UP, the rest can be worked out with a pen and paper. Can anyone confirm that?

The (( is a signal/force broadcast/transmitted by a probe over a planet. Does the Fed's "orbital testing" communications support this?

Have two CMDRs tried scanning one UP at the same time? If one scan results in the UP pushing nearby ships away, would two scans give the UP more "power"?
(Maybe - is the UP and || is two ships. FD want us to work together to solve this, right?)

Anyway, back to lurking until another epiphany.

SECOND WARNING, BE CAREFUL AGAIN!!!!
NO ONE FROM JPL SOLVED THE PUZZLE!

MB just said he knows of one at JPL playing ED. That's all.

I logged into game to try and science my quoted theory. Frustration and more questions.

The problem is the Elite Galaxy Online Orrery view doesn't really line up with what is seen in game. Now I understand that orreries in general don't tend to be to scale, and neither is the online viewer. Otherwise we'd have to show planets and moons the size of needle points in an area larger that football fields. My problem is the orientation of the orbits of the planets and moons don't match. Let me illustrate:

http://i.imgur.com/MX8g3wk.png

So the above shows the Elite Galaxy Online representation of Merope. I did my best to look down on the on the planetary plane and I took a screenshot of the system, as shown in the bottom right. Then I carefully panned and zoomed without changing the view orientation, and took another screenshot of the Merope 5 star, as seen in the top left. It's a bit hard to see because of the light displayed by Elite Galaxy Online, but the asteroid belt as well as the orbits of Merope 5a and Merope 5b around the Merope 5 star is shown along the same plane as the rest of the planet orbits around the main Merope star.

However, this is not the case in game. Here is another in game screenshot where I positioned myself directly between Merope and Merope 5, looking towards Merope 5:

http://i.imgur.com/6dYUHr4.png

Look at the radar, you can see that Merope and Merope 5 are on the same plane and I am directly in between them. Now look at Merope 5 above, with the orbit of Merope 5a shown. The asteroid belt and plane of Merope 5 is almost perpendicular to the line between Merope and Merope 5. Not what the Elite Galaxy Online shows at all. Maybe that's what an Orrery is supposed to do, I don't personally know. But all I have accomplished is to prove that using the Elite Galaxy Online orrery to solve this puzzle is not possible and shouldn't be done.

Another thing I discovered is I could not, regardless of what I tried, get the Merope 5 orbit line to show up. I still wanted to try to fly to the intersection of the Merope 5 and Merope 5b orbit lines and see what happened, but it was impossible because of in game mechanics/bugs.

So now my questions:

- Is the fact I can't get Merope 5 to generate an orbit line a bug, or has the Merope system been altered by FD and Merope 5 isn't orbiting at all? If so, that would be pretty significant.
- I also don't understand orbital mechanics. Merope 6 shows an orbit line around Merope 5, but is shown in the list as being a child of Merope (the main star). The way I understand it, Merope 6 should actually be Merope 5d, and shown as a child of Merope 5.

I think you are onto something. It still doesn't define a target though. It is just a map of a system.

One question for Michael if he could be so kind. This I think is important because it will determine who will really be able to participate.

Is the next step in the process something anyone can do? Is it simple enough most players could achieve it? Or does it continue to require outside programs, math etc?

How accessible is the next part of the puzzle?

(Reason being my math skills suck, my geometry is good but I'd rather someone narrow the parameters and then let the bulk of us explorers go out and search for the next piece with guidelines. That is the ultimate fun for people who like to look and explore for new things)

As was said by Mr Brookes, they designed the riddle and then gave it to the sound guys to go wild. My guess is, we need our brains and the game now and probably a spectrogram scanner from time to time.

I've always wondered that myself. Anyone knows why?
Merope 6 should be orbiting the Main Star: instead it is orbiting Merope 5, while it is called Merope 6.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom