UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I have discussed my theory in the Canonn discord for the last week or so regarding the chittering sound at the beginning of the EMP. This sound is different across recordings, but there seems to be a pattern to it. One possibility is that it is locational. The recordings from Merope 5c all have similar sounding chitters (there are minute variations), but the recordings from Obsidian Orbital, Lobachevsky Outpost, and HIP 92142 (with a UA present) are all different. Also, the recording from Maia B (the black hole) has no chitter at all. Most of these recordings are available on the first page of this thread, and others I have acquired from sources in the Canonn and our new Experiments Database Spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...F-lm91sUwaRQ/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1078588269

I created some test samples to compare the sounds. You can clearly hear that there is some kind of pattern, but as yet I can't determine what that pattern is. Here are my test samples:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40870714/BurstDiscrepancyTestSampleA_m5c_m5c_MaiaB.ogg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...yTestSampleB_OO_Lob_HIP92142UA_HIP92142UA.ogg

Obviously, my research is somewhat slow and limited due to the lack of available UA's and limited recordings, but I think if there is a pattern here, it may be important.

I was not aware of that ( this thread is the open Canonn share site rather than discord), & it is very interesting. First time we've had concrete evidence of UP behaviour differences. Now the distracting hubbub & trolling of last week has died to sensible levels I will try to get on the PC later & run up Audacity ( though Im a complete novice with signal analysis) & have a look

Michael Brookes

Game Director
I think we should approach this as 'designed to be understandable'.

I know we don't seem to have enough information (certainly a lot less than the Evpatoria message) but this can also mean the actual information and the content of the message is that much simpler.

What I'm trying to say is, we have to set some ground rules as to what to look for which could define a purpose. FD designed this to be a puzzle or easter egg for the game but if we stop metagaming for a second, someone or something designed this as a message to be understood by some other one. No other way around it. Why would a sentient being send out a message for the purpose of being cryptic, unless they are deeply religious?

I'm maintaining this two options:

1- The message is pretty straightforward and we are overcomplicating things (step by step approach with a defined methodology will lead to solution).

2- There's nothing to be solved and this is just a cool tidbit (we'll see what the meaning of this all is when they tell us).

It's obvious which one is more fun and I hope FD didn't go for the other.

The message has a specific purpose, and a very different one to the UA.

Michael

The message has a specific purpose, and a very different one to the UA.

Michael

Hey Micheal,

I'm curious as to how you guys come up with these great ideas for puzzles and story, is it just you working it all out in a super secret dark room? or do you have a team of awesome puzzle masters?

Also, (if your allowed to say) how long did it take for you to come up with this particular puzzle?

Thanks so much for these kind of things! Keeps the brain alive! Such an amazingly better experience than 100% of the rest of the gaming industry!

Lots of love in the design of this game and integrity to your own ideas!

all the theories i've read until now are fantastic, amazing ....

but every time i watch that picture i think ''where are the landmarks?''

May be there are plenty of them.
Those 4 symbols, for example, maybe are cardinal points ?
The angles, maybe are sextants value numbers ?
The other various symbols (the little man, the bows, the hieroglyphs.. maybe are something else that we didn't yet consider enough ?

I have been thinking along similar lines- a map to any part of a planet ( must be 5C 'cos why else would the UPs point there) should have landmarks. The grid lines across the circular glyph are not a lat/ long grid but appear to be a cartesian grid projected onto part of a sphere; I think that is significant- it's saying look for a circular object that is either convex or concave on 5C. We have found no domes, I therefore suspect the circle is intended to represent the most obvious landmark on 5C - the very large crater. What I don't understand is how the other glyphs fit in-as they must, all of them, to provide a complete solution. One idea I was just musing ( I'm delaying today's gardening session!) is whether the "number" glyphs should be viewed as a countdown, perhaps
4) approach the crater (& maybe drop the UP, ensure it is facing the planet- since the two external lines lead in to the planet)
3) scan the UP so it triggers the EMP/response
2) land on the planet (similar symbol to system map symbol for land-able planets)
1) land at the centre of the crater and search along a heading of 137 degrees (approximately)

this would be a feasible solution to most of the glyphs, but not all. Possibly they are to do with other aspects of the decoding process. Need to think more, garden less.

So you know how the spectogram has links to the Tests done with the UA(how it was tried one one) maybe its also linked to a certain other test that happened on the UA one that required a couple type 9s and lots of cargo!(Aka the one where someone had every different comodity and tested to see if it changed anything)

Last edited:
I have a question: Are there any commanders that have had barnacles causing interference with their ship systems? If so, have you been hostile towards them? The reason why I am asking this is because a little while back I was investigating the barnacles with a couple of friends. At a certain point the barnacles started 'attacking' their ships, but I was left untouched. The only difference between me and my fellow commanders was that I had never shot at the barnacles/been hostile towards them. My friends however had shot at them before. (I'm sorry if this has already been covered).

I have a question: Are there any commanders that have had barnacles causing interference with their ship systems? If so, have you been hostile towards them? The reason why I am asking this is because a little while back I was investigating the barnacles with a couple of friends. At a certain point the barnacles started 'attacking' their ships, but I was left untouched. The only difference between me and my fellow commanders was that I had never shot at the barnacles/been hostile towards them. My friends however had shot at them before. (I'm sorry if this has already been covered).

You'll have to give more details about which planet this was on if you can.

Just a speculation from DNA-Decay's Image...the 'numbers' (if they are) read ..., ..-, .-., .--, -.., -.-, --., ---
That reads as SURWDKGO in morse code.

Dunno what to make of that.
Snip

Uh, the eight dot dash sequence is mostly NOT in the image.
The only ones from the image are:
.|. (And then) .||
|.. (And then) ..|

Which in zero count binary corresponds to:
2 (And then) 3
4 (And then) 1

Giving you a possible order to the quadrants of the circle.

So quadrant 1 has a line going to the center
quadrant 2 has an arc above the surface
quadrant 3 kinda looks like it's getting scanned
quadrant 4 has two lines going out from the surface

Also not my pic

This was on Merope 5c. somewhere around the -28/-113 coordinates.

If there was a Capital ship hovering over that Barnacle you might find it was something to do with the fleet that 'protects' the site. Also remember that 5c is incredibly buggy right now. It is possible your friends had an instance of the capital ship that you did not.

Other than that then no, there have been no reports of other people being attacked by barnacles. As somebody that has attacked them in the past they have never attacked me either. This leads me to suspect the source was not the barnacle itself.

Do you remember what ships you were flying or if your friends had anything in their cargo holds?

Thanks so much for these kind of things! Keeps the brain alive! Such an amazingly better experience than 100% of the rest of the gaming industry!

Lots of love in the design of this game and integrity to your own ideas!

Can't agree more. Puzzles like that are awesome.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom