UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
When will we get ingame lore rather than messages on a forum board as clues ?

I kind of dislike how reading Fdevs post's often brings more clues than playing the game.

all the theories i've read until now are fantastic, amazing ....

but every time i watch that picture i think ''where are the landmarks?''

May be there are plenty of them.
Those 4 symbols, for example, maybe are cardinal points ?
The angles, maybe are sextants value numbers ?
The other various symbols (the little man, the bows, the hieroglyphs.. maybe are something else that we didn't yet consider enough ?

That's what I have been working on.

People are assuming those "numbers" in each quadrant are actual numbers. I think they indicate that the two upper quadrants are "modifiers" and I now have coordinates from applying those. You are thinking like humans! :D

The bottom two symbols clearly indicate a pair... |-- --| [ lat long ]

Combining Murdock's -116.15 modifier for the top right, as inclination, with the 90 degree modifier, from the top left, I now have 6 different coordinates to investigate, as I have no way, at present, of knowing which should be positive or negative for latitude.

I was flying an AspX, my friends were flying a clipper and a vulture. As far as I know neither of us had anything in the cargo holds.

It sounds odd. This has never happened in all the visits everyone has ever done to barnacles. It still doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else.

The module damage sounds consistent with one of them having a UA on board without the safety cargo racks, so maybe it was just that and you weren't aware of it?

These two quotes still bother me..

The UAs are pointing to Merope (its center) but not for the sake of barnacles.

We still haven't understood the relation between nebulae and barnacles.

I think we are stuck on puzzle 3 because we never completed 1 (UAs) and 2 (barnacle relation to their nebula). Its like finding a safe deposit key, but not knowing the bank or the box number.

I think this is an important point, and one I brought up earlier on. The link between UA's and UP's is behavioral, visual and locational (i.e they behave in similar ways, look similar and appear in similar places).

Barnacles are on Merope 5c, but they are also on other planets in other systems in other nebulae, that have not so far been reported to contain UA's, UP's or indeed Federal forces.

This suggests that the link between UA's/UP's and Barnacles is actually Merope 5c, and there is no direct factual proof that any link exists between UA's and UP's directly.

If the UA's/UP's were looking for Barnacles, there are other places they would appear. If the Barnacles were producing UA's/UP's, we'd see them in these other places.

It suggests that the important thing here is the planet itself.

It's as if the planet has attracted barnacles (the same as other planets in other systems have), and the planet has also attracted UA's and UP's.

If (as has been hypothesised) UA's and UP's are searching for something, the UA's found the system and the UP's found the planet. Barnacles are an interesting thing to find on the planet, but there might be something more interesting to find on the planet.

Last edited:
It sounds odd. This has never happened in all the visits everyone has ever done to barnacles. It still doesn't seem to be happening to anyone else.

The module damage sounds consistent with one of them having a UA on board without the safety cargo racks, so maybe it was just that and you weren't aware of it?

hmm.. I don't think they were in possession of a UA. It was probably just bug.

If (as has been hypothesised) UA's and UP's are searching for something, the UA's found the system and the UP's found the planet. Barnacles are an interesting thing to find on the planet, but there might be something more interesting to find on the planet.

I had never thought about it this way before but this is now my new favourite idea.

Barnacles and the UA/UP are NOT from the same species/races/civilisations of aliens and yet something on Merope 5c has attracted 3 different races.

3? Yep. Barnacles, the masters of the UA/UPs and Mankind's own 'Federation'. 5c is very important so the answer MUST be something to do with 5c. Maybe not in regards to the UP mystery specifically, but in the end game. Merope 5c will be very important.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

hmm.. I don't think they were in possession of a UA. It was probably just bug.

Most likely. Thank you for mentioning it though and please mention it if it happens again. We can always use more information on things like this just in case :)

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Hey Micheal,

I'm curious as to how you guys come up with these great ideas for puzzles and story, is it just you working it all out in a super secret dark room? or do you have a team of awesome puzzle masters?

Also, (if your allowed to say) how long did it take for you to come up with this particular puzzle?

It's a mixture, in this instance I set the basic idea (based on the story arc developed with David and the design/writing team) and audio ran with it.

Michael

THe pointing is deliberate, but also for a different reason to the UA.

Michael

Please don't answer this if it gives too much away but could you clarify;

Is it different to the UA only in that this points to a planet and the other is to a Star? or is the entire reason the Merope system has attracted 2 kinds of satellite wholly different?

It's interesting. Merope was once the playground of the Thargoids. It's like we are all hovering over the ruins of ancient Greece and wondering what we can learn from these ruins... and then someone else turns up with Radar and sees things we can't see because we only have brush and shovel. We then look at what they are seeing and have no clue how to interpret it.

Back to brush and shovel...

Let's not gloss over what MB said.

He said 'the message has a very specific purpose and it's very different from the UA'.

Do we even know what the purpose of the UA or the morse they broadcast is? We don't.

We have a very strange rule to follow in our hands. Speculate a theory for the UA and something distinctly different for the UP.

This is like solving two equations with two unknown variables. We can see the results, we have to figure out the variables.

so assuming we find Paul, and the inevitable Feds and Imps try and quarantine things for themselves...does it become time for the independent pilots to choose sides / take on the powers?

First - hi Mr B - great to see you again. Good job on this puzzle!

Still too many people trying to fit things on the image rather than working from the image.

Despite best attempts to try and refocus attention on the details and gather observations so that we can then work on interpretations, it seems the collective urge is to work backwards.

Now, I get it: it's what we do. I do it too.

But we must resist. If we're going to sort this out soon, it'll be from first principles. Dumb luck will probably get us there, but in about the same amount of time as it takes infinite monkeys to write shakespeare.

Anyway - another observation, which I noticed right at the start but haven't said:

Anyone noticed how the central image appears to be an illustration with a glow around it? Every element - the circle, those symbols, the radial lines, has a soft edge around it like it's 'lit up'. The only part that doesn't is the gridlines inside the circle.

Neither the left or the right image has that - which is curious.

Some people might immediately jump on it as being a sign of it being our HUD. I'd say the similarities are not strong enough - but it does look like it could be a HUD of some sort, or at least a display.

Why do I think it's significant? Because the glow serves no purpose in terms of the illustration itself.

Last edited:
so assuming we find Paul, and the inevitable Feds and Imps try and quarantine things for themselves...does it become time for the independent pilots to choose sides / take on the powers?

well first morning everyone

second i was trying to get pepole together to send the feds home but pepole in the game are mostly given up on finding anything

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

also Hey Michael

can i ask someting?

are we seriusly bind to something obvius?

It's interesting. Merope was once the playground of the Thargoids. It's like we are all hovering over the ruins of ancient Greece and wondering what we can learn from these ruins... and then someone else turns up with Radar and sees things we can't see because we only have brush and shovel. We then look at what they are seeing and have no clue how to interpret it.

Back to brush and shovel...

Just a query, long time lurker here.

Has anyone tried honking with the UP centered above the crater?

Nobody can solve this puzzle. We need better hints.

People are analyzing it differently than intended and make different conclusions.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom