UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The message has a specific purpose, and a very different one to the UA.

Michael

The purpose of the UA was to show the way to the barnacles wasn't it.
So the UP purpose is very different, either pointing to something else, or the picture is the message, and we just haven't solved it, maybe a warning, a location, or something else.... but clearly from MB, forget about the barnies, we are looking for something new.

Not enough 'why' questions being asked here.
I'm sure there's more, but you get my point.
It's a good point. I am just afraid that we have way too little data to answer to the "whys" or find the context.

Anyway, my approach to the "why" questions here:

Why UP points to Merope 5C?
Because in a future something will happen there. I'd say it's kind of road sign. Similar to UAs. Bring more attention to the place. The other answer I can think of is: Because UP needs "reference point" to place itself properly in space. UAs formed a shell where Merope star was such a reference to keep more or less fixed distance. Maybe UP will form similar shell inside the Merope system, around Merope 5C in a future?

Why response to discovery scanner?
Because currently scanners are the only way (other than shooting at them) to interact with ingame objects. Ingame answer: Because disc scanner sends kind of audio pulse (honk) and audio is the way UP communicates.

Why audio?
Because a) UAs did the same and UP seems to be similar in origin; b) Maybe it's easier to broadcast audio message and hide something complex there than in, let's say, light changes. Of course, we do not know if there are other than audio broadcasts done by UP.

Why EMP pulse?
To make sure you receive complete message before you run like hell. ;) Other possibility is that UP disables ship's systems to get access to them. This could be an argument for theory that UP sends picture of ship's console (radar etc). That's actually very similar to UA behavior. UA scan a ship and send it's "drawing" back, UP scans ship's systems and send their image back. I'm wondering if all ships have the same layout of instruments. If so, that would explain why image is always the same.

Why those symbols (if they're symbols)?
I think it's a riddle so why not? We need to guess/figure out _what_ they are, before going for their "why" part. My guess is that whole picture is either graphical representation of Merope 5C with symbols describing its properties like gravity, temperature etc or UP sends back image of recently scanned ship's systems.

It's interesting. Merope was once the playground of the Thargoids. It's like we are all hovering over the ruins of ancient Greece and wondering what we can learn from these ruins... and then someone else turns up with Radar and sees things we can't see because we only have brush and shovel. We then look at what they are seeing and have no clue how to interpret it.

Back to brush and shovel...

Where does that come from? I don't remember any lore about a Pleiades playground, though I remember something about a Thargoid ship lost in a battle in the Pleiades. References please?

Well yes and no, to be fair I had consumed a bottle of Brandy before that conversation, or it may have been surgical spirit I can't recall.

Anyway, for the record the the good Doctor here says "Thargoids" and always has done. ;) Any other remarks regarding humanities general stupidity are irrefutable simply based on....well.....the history of humanity.

Woo, good to see you Glorious Leader!

Haha good to see you also. "Glorious leader" is perhaps a tad strong, but I'll take it and any other complimentary remarks that are going. :p

Where does that come from? I don't remember any lore about a Pleiades playground, though I remember something about a Thargoid ship lost in a battle in the Pleiades. References please?

In 1.4, the UA will scan all ships within 1 kilometer and is confirmed to point and align itself to Merope, a star system in the Pleiades Nebula that has been linked with Thargoid activity in Elite lore.

From http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Unknown_Artefact

:eek:

I agree.
I was planning to take some MAs with the UP for my experiments, but then it died.
MOREOVER: do not forget that convoys carrying UPs were carrying MA as well... that could not mean anything... or not.

Anyway, the spreadsheet with the experiments, is on the FP.

I can reasonably confirm that MAs do not affect the audio. I have done most of my experiments with a UA close to the UP or on board when it was in deep space, and almost always had MAs on me.
I also recently carried the ultimate test: honking the probe near on an intact barnacle site, on Merope 5 C, with one fresh uncollected MA on the ground, the UA, the UP and one MA on a spike still. Nothing changed, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought of the reason ships are disabled, then the message is transmitted. Well we know it is really the devs who coded the message, maybe they just wanted to make sure we could get a clear recording, by shutting the ships systems down first.

edit:
The transmission from the UA is its purpose.

Michael

wooah!! is he saying they are talking to each other here.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought of the reason ships are disabled, then the message is transmitted. Well we know it is really the devs who coded the message, maybe they just wanted to make sure we could get a clear recording, by shutting the ships systems down first.

I strongly feel like the nature of it is very important. If the devs wanted us to get a clear recording it is only because the Probe, in-fiction, is also demanding that level of focus.

Hello, so if barnacle are in nebulae for a reason, and specialy in merope nebulae, wich is made of carbon, does the barnacle need carbon to survive , it is something to search , carbon life ?

So, knowing the purpose of the UP is very different to that of the UA...we can deduce that the UP's role is anything *other* than documenting/transmitting the shape of our ship?

Phew, real progress being made at last.../s

I can reasonably confirm that MAs do not affect the audio. I have done most of my experiments with a UA close to the UP or on board when it was in deep space, and almost always had MAs on me.
I also recently carried the ultimate test: honking the probe near on an intact barnacle site, on Merope 5 C, with one fresh uncollected MA on the ground, the UA, the UP and one MA on a spike still. Nothing changed, as far as I know.

but wot if the up is designed to replenish a dead barnacle? has this been tried, after all the barnacles have the same spacial effect as the probes when viewed under the barnacles with the d-bug cam well the one at -26.3496 -156.4044 does anyway

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom