UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Guys, my thoughts on the UP’s and where they are:

Firstly MB Answered ‘yes’ to the question ‘Are we SURE that free floating UP´s exist in space? (in other words: can they be found by playing 1.6?)’ – So I conclude from this that they are in Space but more importantly, not on or near a planet. Hence 1.6 and not Horizons. So no low exo atmospheric USS’s.

Secondly the UP’s only last 6 minutes in open space, so how can they be free floating and still active? – Either A. they spawn very close to their origin for 6 minutes, B. they are encased in something protecting them.

So my theory is…..

They are somehow Frozen in ice and stuck in either a Comet\Meteor or Asteroids in an Ice Ring.

Has anyone seen a comet\meteor or searched an Ice Ring?

Well if there was a real obvious shell out from m5c where as soon as you hit it you start getting USS's, you still would have seen it. Can't imagine there would be something important that far away...
(i mean they still could but omg why, just to be annoying?)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

The one with the hats and the weird smell. You know, the main one.

All I got were degraded emissions uss and hard to get to as you travel rather fast

Last edited:

Firstly MB Answered ‘yes’ to the question ‘Are we SURE that free floating UP´s exist in space? (in other words: can they be found by playing 1.6?)’ – So I conclude from this that they are in Space but more importantly, not on or near a planet. Hence 1.6 and not Horizons. So no low exo atmospheric USS’s.

Secondly the UP’s only last 6 minutes in open space, so how can they be free floating and still active? – Either A. they spawn very close to their origin for 6 minutes, B. they are encased in something protecting them.

So my theory is…..

They are somehow Frozen in ice and stuck in either a Comet\Meteor or Asteroids in an Ice Ring.

Has anyone seen a comet\meteor or searched an Ice Ring?

People have mentioned this time and again...in the same way that the UAs which were found in convoys degraded as soon as they were released, the free floating ones did NOT degrade, until collected, then they behaved as any other.
No reason to believe the free floating UP would be any different.

Thanks for dropping in Michael!

Without wanting to spoiling anything or wanting another clue...are we close / have we come close? :D

It's logical, but probably only obvious after the fact.

Michael

Ok so I think this for me adds to my thinking that the probes are looking for a crashed ship (it will become obvious because they are surrounding the planet they have crashed into).

So I think we need to find candidate planets (the UPS will likely be floating in space around the planet).

It seems logical they would be in merope but the sheer volume of commanders in the system means if they were surrounding a planet we would likely have found them by now.

I think Merope 5C is a starting point my theory being the story went like this

1. Alien ship crashes in our galaxy
2. Search and rescue party is launched
3. Search and rescue artefacts dropped into Merope system
4. Unknown artefacts spread out from Merope and form a shell (question: why the shell? why that distance?)
5. The UAs find enough of what they need and call for probes to search a planet (1 single planet they have identified)
6. Probes are sent to and launched from Merope 5C to the planet in question and begin surveying.

This leads me with a couple of theories as to where the free floaters could be.

1. A system surrounding Merope the shell has formed wide enough to capture all the transmitted distress signals (seems unlikely as why would there be a signal that can only travel 150 ly?
2. A planet within Merope which has not been surveyed (again seems unlikely as this would surely have been found by now)

I think there is merit in searching systems around Merope and specifically searching around planets (not within orbital cruise because of the previous comment from MB). I will be focussing around those areas over the weekend but thats my train of thought at the moment.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know if one of us has made that logical suggestion yet?. I'm starting to wish I had Vulcan blood.

A number of pages back he said that some people were close, this largely seems to have been buried in a tidal wave of new ideas which may or may not have used that as a reference point.

"Yes, a few have come close, but a lot of the assumptions being made aren't the right direction.

Michael" back on the 28th July

Last edited:
To Mr. Brookes: do the signal sources containing UP-s show up with the same frequency as the UA-bearing anomalies do in the shell, or are they more rare?

I keep wondering whether I have already searched a system that contains them or not, but I'll only know that after the fact, heh.

it means not in the planet, but they can still orbit the planets. have you tried to get close to a planet? close enough till you get the orbital flight HUD? I can be done in 1.6.

A number of pages back he said that some people were close, this largely seems to have been buried in a tidal wave of new ideas which may or may not have used that as a reference point.

Almost every thinkable idea was suggested before MB posted that. If you go back and make a list of all suggestions made before that post, I don't think you would be much wiser.

It would have been a better hint, if he said that no one had been close. :D

If they are "in a nebular" - how many systems should we search and for how long? This is easily a number above 500 K. Impossible for us. We need at least more research, or a slight hint ingame. Or an information that we missed a hint ingame :)

The obvious answer is that the Unknown Probes will be found in systems that have whatever they are looking for or have planets that could have it (even if they do not), unfortunately we seem to be no closer to working that out then when we started.

The most likely things I can think of are

1) Alien life or technology - perhaps check system with known alien relics
2) Colonisable Worlds (to them) - systems with ammonia worlds perhaps
3) Barnacles
4) Scouting for potential threats - Military systems or systems with shipyards

Almost every thinkable idea was suggested before MB posted that. If you go back and make a list of all suggestions made before that post, I don't think you would be much wiser.

It would have been a better hint, if he said that no one had been close. :D

Hey that's fine, but just 'cos something seems like hard work is perhaps not a reason to discount it yes/no? Scientific process and critical thought are not always the easy path. When I'm recovered from my surgery if you gents haven't and work and family allow then I'll try.

Just seems wasteful to me to discard a clear hint that is workable but yet entertain every theory no matter how baseless. I of course bow to those of you who have been around the longest

In light of the new comments by Mr. Brookes, and no offense to Rizal's great discovery of the convoys.. But I think we should all forget about them for a moment.

This puzzle was meant to be solved a bit different than we have, I believe. I think we need to go back to the beginning. We had a UA shell that pointed to Merope. They scanned our ships. What's the next step? Forget for a moment that we already have data about the probe. Forget that it points to 5c. What is the next logical step from what we knew in the beginning?

Personally, my theory has always been that the next step is in the Merope system itself. But after spending countless hours there, I've found nothing. And no other CMDRs who have been there seem to have found anything either. So I'm not sure that theory is correct unless we are missing something.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom