UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up on the no damage thing. This is also the case with the Barnacles and has been since they were first found. Back when I used to go visit the Barnacles I would always just fly straight at them at full speed and use them as an emergency brake. I doubt it is anything important and is most likely a side effect of how the item is spawned and has to interact with the ground.

Just a heads up on the no damage thing. This is also the case with the Barnacles and has been since they were first found. Back when I used to go visit the Barnacles I would always just fly straight at them at full speed and use them as an emergency brake. I doubt it is anything important and is most likely a side effect of how the item is spawned and has to interact with the ground.

That's kinda what I figured, but you never know with this game sometimes!

That's kinda what I figured, but you never know with this game sometimes!

Very true, and it's always good to at least note anything that might even be remotely suspicious. An easy thing to test I suppose would be to try it with a crashed satellite or one of those crashed ships that show up on the surface sometimes. I've never tried it with anything but the barnacles but I suspect it is probably the same with all of those types of items.

I took a high res aerial photo of the site for anyone who wants to look at it. Let me know if it shows properly because i had to use Flickr instead of imgur because of size limits.
You know, looking at it, I think it had only 4 "legs". like a fancy bio-mechanical space-shuriken. of course, being jointed, it can fold them up. somehow

well done everyone! well done to the commander who found it, well done fd this has been what its all been about for me for so long an alien ship! top top work community well done to lord z ,riz, slarty mr d and many more.

fantastic cant wait for 2.2 and i hope that the outpost and frontier commanders start seeing, hearing and finding many wierd and wonderful things.

o7

I tried to color code the parts as I named them for my own speculations. Here is the color coded picture. I'd like to know what you think about these parts of the craft. Also big thanks to Krewzur for the awesome aerial!

e74JjSh.jpg

Last edited:
Great findings guys! True geniuses in here.

Should we search the rest of the moon? Perhaps they started moving in their 'srv'.

The glyphs.. Those are worth investigating, I can see some recurring.

Also, did we find the scorched cobra scene yet?

I don't think we can go off this information as we have already been told that the aliens have undergone an extensive re-imagining (listen to the latest Drew Wagar interview, along with DB talk about the design for the aliens) to be more "alien" and less "human". The only things we can go off for real Thargoid lore lies in First Encounters (and some of that has been confirmed to have been redone). I could be wrong though, it's hard to see through so many layers of tinfoil...

Also, is it entirely impossible for the Thargoids to have used another advanced species to re-configure their ships to deal with the Mycoid virus? We do know that they would have had to deal with that first before coming back for a fight....

I'm afraid you can't use the info in the previous games as canon any longer. Unless it's been mentioned specifically in ED (which is what I am now summarising on my site) it's interesting, but no longer reference material.

Cheers,

Drew.

My take on the 'is it Thargoid or not' question depends a lot on some metagaming. Or more like meta-game designing.

In my mind, as far as I understand the design philosophy behind ED and its lore, there's simply no way they'll be using 8 fold rotational symmetry on anything else than the Thargoids. The consistency in design simply doesn't allow for that.

Just like they followed the original ship designs for the iconic snake-ships, they will definitely follow the octagonal design for the Thargoids, which is just as much iconic. Hence, no 8 fold rotational symmetry for other species, ergo this thing is either directly Thargoid, or based on some design someone learned from Thargoids.

I could of course be wrong but in this, I don't think I am.

You may be right, but I think to say now "it is Thargoid" is premature. I want to some evidence to warrant that, moreover Thargoids might now be friendly, we still have very limited evidence of intent. But I do sort of like the idea that this may not be a ship but is in fact one of the Guardians- reverse metagaming?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom