UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Could there be a reason we're finding so much Tea (and Animal Meat - as opposed to what kind?!?) Are we assuming that the barnacles are going to be inert? Perhaps they are/were active and had a fondness for tea. Or animal meat. And attacked anything carrying them - hence the surfeit of wrecks containing these. (Maybe that's what MB's comments meant about the barnacles when he said you'll know when you see them..) Maybe we follow the wrecks to find the barnacles. Maybe we just carry lots of tea and animal meat and they'll find us?

It's been a while since I posted a wacky theory.. there was a grave danger of people starting to take me seriously.
Alternatively, Thargoids with a sense of humour:

1 - Intrepid explorer stumbles on Barnacle.

2 - Said explorer gets summarily assimilated.

3 - Body-count piles up.

4 - Thargoid necessitated to jettison waste/by-products, hence cannisters of liquids and solids.

5 - Vicious cycle continues

Last edited:
I feel like blowing up stuff in the name off science. Maybe the Barnies are below the future remains of Pavlou? How about we blow that base up? Small group with armed vessels should be able to. The one mining laser on my ASP just won't do it...

So, I was thinking about the whole "thursday nights' game" thing.

Here are my conclusions and possibilities:

PR5 = Planet Rock 5
Row 2 = Moon 2
Seats 5 e 6 = coords in radians, converting to degrees:
5 rads = 286.479 degrees
6 rads = 343.775 degrees

Check these coords in every planet/moon.

Update:
Also, thursday night could be some kind of tide, an ideal time to spot then... at night, which doesn't mean the planet/moon is tidally locked.
Checked. No planets with those coordinates in this dimention. :)

Well, I'm back in Hudson space until Thursday. The needle is somewhere, but it would be nice to know which haystack to check.

Maybe MB could give us another nudge, at least help us figure out where we could get more info from. :/

Last edited:
barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles....

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Frontier
Ok so time for a bit of out of the box thinking. The great MB has said that you are guaranteed to find them if you are in the right location. FD are presumably pretty good at Maths so they will know that even with 1000 CMDRs scouring every landable moon at POI height would take essentially forever. Secondly Kerrash mentioned that he thought that it would be visible from orbitalish height - although he may have no expert knowledge so a caveat there.

However if both these possibilities are correct then we have not been to the location yet even in orbital cruise. Given the number of people involved this seems unlikely.

theory: the dashed things are on a planet immune to the powers of the advanced discovery scanner. Trying a bit of old school parralax stuff in (most obviously) Merope might be worth a shot?
The barnacles are too small to be noticeable at orbital height.

Michael

I found one Barnicle.
It is inside the black hole in Maia, but due to the gravity force, it can't be seen from outside the event Horizon (hence the name ED Horizons)
The only way is to change the dimension, so, going from simulation dimension to software dimension you will be able to break the Horizon and find the Barnicle under the form of a file namend unk_barnicle.ovl
This is the right pattern to follow to solve the mistery.

Damn... now I will be found... escape!

Last edited:
Where did this 'log entry' come from?

(I'm wondering if it was the correct number of ly from Earth to be a transmission from the present day that just arrived at the finder's location)
That is really weird ^^ is the AI in ED taking over the World and already got the FD Guys =]

Game crashed again, submitted a ticket to support. (which is in the spoiler)

Looking for Barnacles in my ImperialCourier in Open on Pleione 6 at the pole, sound cut out for 0.3 seconds, frame rate froze, sound resumed for 1.0 seconds then froze for 0.3 seconds again, then game crashed.

These files were being used at the time:

~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\Audio\audiomusic_music_supercruise_bnk_s.aux
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\Stations\Shared\LandingPadsStandard\LandingAreaLarge\Data.ovl
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\UIStreamsOutfittingIcons\PaintJob_DiamondBackXL_Militaire_Sand_icon\Data.ovl
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\UIStreams\OutfittingIcons\Paintjob_Viper+Militaire_Sand_icon\Data.ovl

Had ResourceMonitor.exe open to see where or when the below would appear (they never did, so I've given up on the search)
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_uknBarnicle
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_01
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_02
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_03

I officially give up looking, it's not worth my time.
I have crashed once or twice when approaching a POI, makes me wonder now...

I am sure that this must have been occurred to someone already, but I don't feel like browsing 160+ pages of discussion to dug it up.

Basically I thought that what if UA's (as well as barnacles) are weapons of sort? Why they are pointing at Merope although there seems to be nothing that could explain this fact? No one knows whether they of Thargoid origin, but if they are, it is good to keep in mind the hostile nature of Thargoids.

And now the Thargoids laugh somewhere "the stupid people are falling to our trap" and boom, 1000s of commanders in one system could be wiped overnight by triggering a WMD of unknown type. Thinking in these lines made me careful about not to park my ship in Merope while taking a rest; I want to be able to react if something happens in Merope. I really hope that this is merely a paranoid though but you never can be too careful with unknown, can you?

-v

Maybe could this mean that they only spawn when you're in a SRV? If that person who said they found one and died on Pleione 6 is telling the trust.
No picture, no video, very poor description... I doubt he found anything other than the incredible exploding SRV bug.

As far as Staple goes can Atlas B3 be ruled out, sitting at N34 W118 right now and there's nothing except a nice view with a moutain in the south.

Gonna check the other 3 landables here for that and then go to Electra because one planet there matches my gravity estimation and I wanna check that.

Last edited:
If I were a game designer and I would place something on a planet surface to help someone else to find it, I would choose one of the following four options:
- North pole
- South pole
- Equatorial plane
- Ecliptic plane

and I think the first two are the most probable; the last is the most realistic if crash site hypotesis.
For the planet, I still thinking about the one with a manually placed outpost: Maia B1D

Game crashed again, submitted a ticket to support. (which is in the spoiler)

Looking for Barnacles in my ImperialCourier in Open on Pleione 6 at the pole, sound cut out for 0.3 seconds, frame rate froze, sound resumed for 1.0 seconds then froze for 0.3 seconds again, then game crashed.

These files were being used at the time:

~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\Audio\audiomusic_music_supercruise_bnk_s.aux
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\Stations\Shared\LandingPadsStandard\LandingAreaLarge\Data.ovl
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\UIStreamsOutfittingIcons\PaintJob_DiamondBackXL_Militaire_Sand_icon\Data.ovl
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\UIStreams\OutfittingIcons\Paintjob_Viper+Militaire_Sand_icon\Data.ovl

Had ResourceMonitor.exe open to see where or when the below would appear (they never did, so I've given up on the search)
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_uknBarnicle
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_01
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_02
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_03

I officially give up looking, it's not worth my time.
Oh snap. Could it be that the desired poi is indeed buggy at the moment? Some other people have reported that they crashed when approaching certain pois...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom