UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Now this is intriguing! I have been at KN MUSCAE as there is only one landable planet in the middle of that nebula, 100% metal content, though a bit hot, but looking interesting.

However, when down on the surface I looked up and saw a planet's silhouette that wasn't registered when I scanned with the advanced scanner.

I am currently flying towards this and am sitting at 2 million LS and it has not got any bigger, or moved in relation to the stars behind. It could just be a graphical glitch. It is very visible sitting against the nebula and anyone else who comes out here will see it without bother.

I doubt it's Raxxla, if that is a planet it must be huge! I'm going with glitch.

View attachment 94409

Could be just a dark nebula in the background?

I think you'll notice one if you're nearby.

And to those asking why nebulae - it's quite logical if you think about it :)

Michael

Well, 'they' either need the nebula as nutrient/raw material, or produce it as by-product. I guess the former is more likely.

BTW, why aren't the UAs all pointing away from Merope...?

As above, they'd only need to intercept a tiny handful of Morse messages any time & anywhere, which include all 26 symbols in order and with each symbol featuring exactly once, and they could deduce that's the correct ordering. So ultimately aliens somewhere might be looking at a graph, but instead of A, B, C written along the axes they'd have ".-", "-..." and "-.-.".

Ultimately it's much of a muchness, they would need to intercept a correct alphabet somewhere in order to plot those schematics. But they wouldn't necessarily need to have any understanding of what those symbols represent - what we see as the Morse for "A" they might think of as "1", hence their use on the plot axes.

No but they also morse the names of stars and planets (our names for them) and there's no reason for Nav Beacons to have the names of Stars that are completely uninhabited. Chances are they have knowledge of humans either through past involvement or careful monitoring.

I'm sure that there is, but not finding what it is until we have all the pieces doesn't help us whilst on the journey (and in fact has been a positive hinderance).

Well it helped us to come to Pleiades. And aren't we there still? ;)

In light of the latest MB post I gave up further analysing the UA sounds. Does anyone know the smallest landable planet in the Nebula? I've found one small enough that you can fly around it in semi-reasonable time in normal flight - if there are no further clues to be had then perhaps the placed barnacles are on really small planets... possibly close to their sun (hence high melting point)? I'm in Pleiades Sector GW-W C1-15 1 (there also aren't that many systems actually contained within the nebula cloud either!)

I guess the question for me is why do the UAs point at merope. It is way way old for a class b star, maybe it will supernova soon which will spread even more breeding ground for barnacles

Greek poet mentions the Pleiades several time
"And if longing seizes you for sailing the stormy seas, when the Pleiades flee mighty Orion and plunge into the misty deep and all the gusty winds are raging, then do not keep your ship on the wine-dark sea but, as I bid you, remember to work the land."
And The loss of one of the sisters, Merope, in some myths may reflect an astronomical event wherein one of the stars in the Pleiades star cluster disappeared from view by the naked eye.

What would be incredibly useful in our search in general and not just related to barnacles or whatever would be a working planetary map that tells you for example
in a different color what sector of the planet you've visited already in the grid once you zoom on in to make sure you aren't visiting a sector that you've been before already.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: jgm
Getting pretty annoyed at this. We get full ingame description of what meta alloys are and a mission to look for them saying that they are linked to barnacles.... And we can't get a word about the origin? did they just fall from the sky before ?

That's pretty sadistic. Exploring is fun but it gets pretty painful at some point, especially with all the teasing...

We don't even have the proper tools for real efficient exploration.

No proper map. No proper ship scanner. No good pop up distance. Come on FD. Our time is valuable too.

Last edited:
As above, they'd only need to intercept a tiny handful of Morse messages any time & anywhere, which include all 26 symbols in order and with each symbol featuring exactly once

Well yes, if they were sent the order or our letters then they would indeed have the order. But now you need a good reason for someone doing that. It's not really a solution.

Anyway, all I wanted to say was that if they don't have a *very* good reason for using our language it'll be a real annoyance.

What would be incredibly useful in our search in general and not just related to barnacles or whatever would be a working planetary map that tells you for example
in a different color what sector of the planet you've visited already in the grid once you zoom on in to make sure you aren't visiting a sector that you've been before already.

the barnacles are randomly generated, so...

In light of the latest MB post I gave up further analysing the UA sounds. Does anyone know the smallest landable planet in the Nebula? I've found one small enough that you can fly around it in semi-reasonable time in normal flight - if there are no further clues to be had then perhaps the placed barnacles are on really small planets... possibly close to their sun (hence high melting point)? I'm in Pleiades Sector GW-W C1-15 1 (there also aren't that many systems actually contained within the nebula cloud either!)

I found a very small one the other day... around 170km I think. I can't remember if it was in Maia or Pleone. I'll check at lunch.

Thinking logically about Mr Brookes' latest comment...

If we were searching for a PPOI then absolutely 'location is key' .... but i'm interpreting that basically he's saying '1 planet is as good as any other in the appropriate conditions', So Merope isn't the only place, but it is a place...
Assuming we're talking the Pleides for now ... and we're dealing with normal POI then in essence we're playing a pure probablity game with spawning POI in which case its an eyeballs + time = results thing... ie a RNG occurance
Unless they've placed 100's on a single planet in which case there'd be a better chance on that planet

Crazy hypothosis here, but what if Barnacles can't be found in Merope. I read that in real life (http://messier.seds.org/more/m045_merope.html), the dust cloud in that region is supposed to be at it's brightest around Merope, but in game that isn't the case. Perhaps there is something damaging or removing the matter from there (either caused by the UAs or being investigated by them) and we need to be focusing on the parts of the nebula that are the thickest... Maia for one is where I'm searching atm.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom