UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I wonder if a higher spec of computer gives a greater chance of success in finding barnacles, as I fear I could fly right passed one before my laptop churned out an intelligible sign that one was present. Unless of course they are so stunningly dramatic as not to be easily missed.
We have a whole universe to explore..... and we're looking for barnacles, maybe not even live ones........not even real ones? What are we like?

Hey go and find a small thing that's somewhere, that somebody's told you exists and obviously in a nebula...no not seen one myself.

Ok, here it goes.

After another afternoon on the moons of Merope, it hit me; Without something more, this whole endeavour is absolutely futile. Taking the 7 Sisters as a clue, that still leaves a truly phenomenal area for us to cover. We're spread out all over the Pleiades, when even as a focused effort on a single moon, we're going to be there a long time. As it stands, we could be doing this for years. Something a little more precise is needed. I'm not asking for the answer, merely a start for the community to knuckle down on and get to work. At least in the right system (not necessarily a moon as a clue), we can at least feel a sense of progress. So, I guess what my single question to Michael would be is this:

Which of the seven sisters would you consider to be most attractive?

I agree, even if we knew which planet the odds are statistically against even the combined efforts of all CMDRs searching - unless once on that planet it becomes obvious where to look. Having now personally investigated over one third of all landable planets inside the nebula cloud, i'm beginning to think it's time to divert my activities elsewhere until more clues are released in game!

cmdr log

last night was a tedious endevor. after reviewing comments made by the big M, i decided that i would move on from searching Merope to Maia. Never have i felt such a level of defeat as i search its many moons and planets. The first one iv decided to start on is the planet that Obsidian orbital, orbits around.(sorry can not remember the name currently). From space, this planet looks as if it is covered in barnacles with its greenish grey hew. It has many a crator and many a mountain. At the very least i figured it would be a fun planet to explore. boy was a wrong. The continued malfunction of my rovers forward propultion made navigating the mountanous bumpy region of this planet very difficult (and not smoking a cigarette for the entire 6 hour search because it finally started snowing yesterday just added to my heated fury).

now i found 3 things of note about this planet. 1 good and two bad. i will start with the first.

-the good-
[SNIP]
-the bad-

[SNIP]
And the ugly.

Last edited:
That list is excellent! There is one thing missing, a category listing volatiles. I can sort of guess looking at these now though. Thank you for the great work!!!

Volatiles provide the mist and I think is one of the critical components to finding these things, along with metal content, temperature and tidal locking. We already have the nebula component, as we are all there!

There is a reason MB implied they aren't in Merope. Once we answer that question, we are a huge step forward to finding those things. It was the biggest clue he gave, I think.
Thank you :)

What do you mean by volatiles? Do you mean the breakdown of composition? If its listed in the description I can add it. Maybe not tonight though :)

Oh and NEVER buy exploration data from the Galaxy Map, its {redacted}.

Last edited:
Well, I see a big nose and smiling face on that alien ship thing. Kind of like those old time pictures of the half moon with a face.

Nah, I wouldn't laugh at you for proposing your ideas. They're good ideas, and it's clear that you want to be and are involved, but some things are nothing more then simple conjecture and banter. Michael really likes Cthulhu and believes a statue to Cthulhu should be on every street corner, but Michael didn't place the barnacles. I guess the question you should be asking is who did place the barnacles? Maybe it's their "elder-god" that you should be asking about.

I know he didn't place the barnacles. That's not my point, you're thinking too narrowly. Did you take part in any of the treasure hunts? As user Donald Duck suggested a couple of pages back, the "statue to the elder gods on every street corner"... what can you find on a great many street corners in a city? Clocks. Clocks which are statue-like, and clocks = chronos, which is an elder god, and a system in the game. Now you're thinking, "but Chronos isn't in the pleiades nebula!" I don't care. People have said that there must be something else in game that leads us to someplace specific to look on a planet in the pleiades. I believe that too. Maybe that hint will be stumbled upon if we solve MB's statue "clue."

a-street-corner-clock-in-montgomery-alabama-EAG81B.jpg

edit: this is just one example of what this could lead to.

Last edited:
Ok, here it goes.

After another afternoon on the moons of Merope, it hit me; Without something more, this whole endeavour is absolutely futile. Taking the 7 Sisters as a clue, that still leaves a truly phenomenal area for us to cover. We're spread out all over the Pleiades, when even as a focused effort on a single moon, we're going to be there a long time. As it stands, we could be doing this for years. Something a little more precise is needed. I'm not asking for the answer, merely a start for the community to knuckle down on and get to work. At least in the right system (not necessarily a moon as a clue), we can at least feel a sense of progress. So, I guess what my single question to Michael would be is this:

Which of the seven sisters would you consider to be most attractive?

Taygeta, I just flew to them all and Taygeta is just stunning.

Here is something else to consider.

M said that the 7 sisters is a good place to search right? He also said that there are both generated and hand placed barnacles right? He didnt however say that hand placed were necessarily in the 7 sisters. Not saying my theory is that the hand placed ones arent there, just making a suggestion that things outside the box.

right, but look closer. Maybe it's just my eyes from all this barnacle scouring, but doesn't it look like a giant alien captial ship right next to the planet?

You're right, I hadn't actually spotted that. Probably for the same reason you suggested about what you saw in it. :D

enhance....enhance...looks like wreckage

View attachment 94653

True, but a rather large one like that... aren't they usually fixed signal sources?

Nice ! ... wish they gave some location info ...

I'm guessing there were bits of it about in all of the nearby wrecks and that the location is not the big news we thought we might get out of it. Instead, it looks like better jump drives might be on the way at some point...

I'm beginning to feel like this is a huge waste of time.

Commander, here's a well meant advice for you.
You shouldn't be 'grind searching'.
Stop to smell the roses. Play the game. Explore. Shoot things. Run around at some of the gorgeous planets, enjoy the scenery.

I know may of us is not 'grinding search' for this reason. Play the game, spend time, enjoy the time. Don't waste it ;)

Last edited:
Anybody else had his productivity affected by this endeavor?

Mine dropped, like, a lot.

I was reading about Merope and Pleiades mythology and couldn't find any clue. Gonna read some Lovecraftian Cthulhu myths now.

In other news - Galnet ingame, I wasn't aware until now.
The Antares has been identified. Interesting times ahead.

View attachment 94651

The external Galnet is still broken, couldn't find it there.

I think it is unrelated to the Barnacles, probably leading to more content in 2.1 (passenger ships? Powerful drives to reach distant nebulae?). I'm saying this also because of the very low success of the related CG, which barely got to tier 2, I was really surprised that it was actually enough to complete the search.

I'm beginning to feel like this is a huge waste of time.

We're essentially trying to brute-force a problem, and with that methodology there is going to be a lot of wasted time. Even I feel there is a lot of waste going on here, but unfortunately there is very little concrete evidence to narrow our search. A lot of people have tried different ideas, and nothing has succeeded yet.

We're essentially trying to find a piece of currency in a lake, but at least we have a general idea its going to be a coin, which lake to dive into and know its probably on the bottom of it.

All we need to do now is figure out more specifics to narrow the search (which randomly throwing ideas on here has had a few decent productions), or be lucky enough to win the lottery.

Here is something else to consider.

M said that the 7 sisters is a good place to search right? He also said that there are both generated and hand placed barnacles right? He didnt however say that hand placed were necessarily in the 7 sisters.

Yes he did..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222049&page=120&p=3403073&viewfull=1#post3403073

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post

Mike already hinted at plural in an earlier post. Its not specifically Seven Sisters.

True - although I know for certain that there are some placed in that nebula.

Michael

I added the bold for emphasis..

I think it is unrelated to the Barnacles, probably leading to more content in 2.1 (passenger ships? Powerful drives to reach distant nebulae?). I'm saying this also because of the very low success of the related CG, which barely got to tier 2, I was really surprised that it was actually enough to complete the search.

Maybe the ship was infected with Barnacles.. and thus got destroyed all those years ago... I'm curious if their analysis will show traces of said meta-alloys. A huge leap here.. but we'll see!

Mainly because we don't know which comments are breadcrumbs and which are red herrings. The problem is, we're hungry for clue so we're eating them all.
I'm just concerned that this kind of endeavour by fdev costs goodwill.
Line between this being a legitimate puzzle and sadistic how

This feels worse than money island puzzles

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom