UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Are you 100% sure? I thought I read FD confirmed the locations are "fixed", apear in both solo and open every time you go there etc. Are they ones from the "sheet" at start of this thread?
100%! same coordinates, also checked from the srv all the area. gone

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Are you 100% sure? I thought I read FD confirmed the locations are "fixed", apear in both solo and open every time you go there etc. Are they ones from the "sheet" at start of this thread?

There are fixed locations and random spawns - however it appears that the fixed ones aren't appearing for some people - we're investigating the cause.

Michael

I meant nebulae.

Michael

Thanks Michael!!!!!
NEBULAE then.
You can all forget what I've said previously, then :D

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

There are fixed locations and random spawns - however it appears that the fixed ones aren't appearing for some people - we're investigating the cause.

Michael

Thanks again.
Can you tell us if the random spawns do behave like normal POIs? Blue Circle I mean?
Or all the Barnacles, random and fixed, must be spotted by eye, as I already suspect?
Thanks

Last edited:
Well... Blistering Barnacles!!!

If the Barnacles are some sort of mining site:

Then the central barnacle is an energy collector? Like Solar Panel - hence why they appear to point at the sun during the day, they are in optimum position to get the most energy from the sun!

Are you going to stick around for when it's owner turns up to collect the mined materials? Or are they abandoned? If we find active mining sites, will we find the aliens who planted them?

And Thank you MB. Onwards and upwards with the search... There is a Nebula somewhere that is connected with the Origin of the Barnacles...

Michael

When you say some are random spawns, do you mean that they are not persistent?

If I park next to a barnacle that is random spawned and log of, will it still bee there when I log back in the next day?

1. The meta-alloys around the barnacles are there to lure us into going to visit the area for a particular reason. One of the clues are the three symbols on three of the barnacles' sections/petals.
2. The glow when firing laser at the centre of barnacles IMO to make sure the symbols are visible when visiting the area is in darkness.
3.Why three symbols and not just one, or two? So the number of symbols and the symbols itself IMO are clues.
4. There also six sections/petals forming the barnacle, again we six as another clue.
5. So we have numbers 3 and 6. The three could mean the 3 dimensions of space, the 6 could mean the six directions of space, and the symbols could mean a type of system.
6. I speculate that barnacles in space together may form a geometrical pattern, and each point to each other through extension into space from the three sections/petals with the three symbols. Each barnacle IMO might form part of much larger system which at the moment its functionality and purpose are not clear.

Well... Blistering Barnacles!!!

If the Barnacles are some sort of mining site:

Then the central barnacle is an energy collector? Like Solar Panel - hence why they appear to point at the sun during the day, they are in optimum position to get the most energy from the sun!

Are you going to stick around for when it's owner turns up to collect the mined materials? Or are they abandoned? If we find active mining sites, will we find the aliens who planted them?

And Thank you MB. Onwards and upwards with the search... There is a Nebula somewhere that is connected with the Origin of the Barnacles...
I can follow the trail of logic that got us to Merope but have a hard time contributing to it.
MB has said the word "origin" many times but this discussion hasn't seemed to pickup on it yet to find the other Nebulae. It could be as simple as the random spawns will be in other nebulae (logical based on nebulae being the birthplace of stars)
However, "origin", thinking about the Pleiades system, 7 sisters, etc, what were their origins? Father/mother, who named these systems?

1. The meta-alloys around the barnacles are there to lure us into going to visit the area for a particular reason. One of the clues are the three symbols on three of the barnacles' sections/petals.
2. The glow when firing laser at the centre of barnacles IMO to make sure the symbols are visible when visiting the area is in darkness.
3.Why three symbols and not just one, or two? So the number of symbols and the symbols itself IMO are clues.
4. There also six sections/petals forming the barnacle, again we six as another clue.
5. So we have numbers 3 and 6. The three could mean the 3 dimensions of space, the 6 could mean the six directions of space, and the symbols could mean a type of system.
6. I speculate that barnacles in space together may form a geometrical pattern, and each point to each other through extension into space from the three sections/petals with the three symbols. Each barnacle IMO might form part of much larger system which at the moment its functionality and purpose are not clear.
Are the symbols consistent between the known barnacle spawns? Are they a visual indication of the aural tones we've heard in the past regarding system location?

Michael

Awww man.

Do I wait and resurvey the planets I've been checking or do I sack it and just carry on. At least I'm updating my spreadsheet. Fingers crossed the team finds the problem quick

In that gif where the laser shoots from the left side, the barnacle lights up a little after the beam starts hitting it. If you look carefully you can see the exact moment it all starts glowing. If it's an artifact of the lighting mechanism, it's a really elaborate bug :D

Not really. I won't try to explain the reasons why as it'd be a very poor explanation. The effect of the beam hitting a "object" is quite different from hitting nothing. I noticed while destroying the "organic structures" for tests, on occasion (but not regularly) I could make the center light up in just the same way, as when you hit the structures it creates the same lighting effect.

In addition, destroying the "organic structures" created a lot of debris. Even that lights up when shooting the center, which makes sense from a graphics perspective (in my mind at least), but not from a gameplay or story perspective (at least, not the sensible ones).

I've taken two more shots, one of the "unlit" barnacle and one of the "lit" barnacles, highlighting the relevant debris. It definitely isn't "glow" from the main structure (only part of it is lit, not entirely, so if it was the glow, it should cover the entire thing, not just a section of it.

lit.jpgunlit.jpg

I dunno, I've seen this kinda behaviour before with some graphics engines, like where the lighting of a ship engine just happens to match the lighting of some other obscure element in the game. Graphics engines can produce weird stuff, despite your best intentions.

If this post doesn't convince you, nothing else I can say probably can. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's just an artefact.

EDIT: For reference, you can make the barnacle glow intensely by shooting a tentacle remnant close to it, but you struggle to "light" it shooting a distant one.

Last edited:
Distant World Prospectors are actively engaged in the Lagoon Nebula. Doesn't strike a chord with me that this would be a logical location for more barnacles but we're keeping an eye out. Would still be great to have a different colored POI from altitude.

Michael

Thanks.

Can I assume that since I have found the one on Pleione 11A based on coords given here this one was a 'fixed location' SO I am not having this problem you mention?

Argh. Picked up a UA from the UA zone and thought I'd take it around different places see if it did anything.. odd. or different. Stopped in HIP 15609 since convoys carrying UA were last spotted there and dropped out of supercruise to drop the UA and see what it did. Instantly that I did that an NPC called Treyd Wynds spawned in a sidewinder, grabbed it and shot off like a rocket.

*sigh*

How do you determine what it's 'pointing' at ? It didnt seem to me to be pointing at the pleiades.

Has anyone looked at these lines and determined if they mean anything?

UA1.jpg

and Smiley face or Sad Face?

UA2.jpg

Not really. I won't try to explain the reasons why as it'd be a very poor explanation. The effect of the beam hitting a "object" is quite different from hitting nothing. I noticed while destroying the "organic structures" for tests, on occasion (but not regularly) I could make the center light up in just the same way, as when you hit the structures it creates the same lighting effect.

In addition, destroying the "organic structures" created a lot of debris. Even that lights up when shooting the center, which makes sense from a graphics perspective (in my mind at least), but not from a gameplay or story perspective (at least, not the sensible ones).

I've taken two more shots, one of the "unlit" barnacle and one of the "lit" barnacles, highlighting the relevant debris. It definitely isn't "glow" from the main structure (only part of it is lit, not entirely, so if it was the glow, it should cover the entire thing, not just a section of it.

I dunno, I've seen this kinda behaviour before with some graphics engines, like where the lighting of a ship engine just happens to match the lighting of some other obscure element in the game. Graphics engines can produce weird stuff, despite your best intentions.

If this post doesn't convince you, nothing else I can say probably can. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's just an artefact.

I know exacly what you're talking about with 'some graphics engines' - but having looked at it a good few times now, it doesn't make any sense why part of the model that's obscured from the weapon lighting suddenly decides to start glowing - and it's not 'instant-on', it fades in - uniformly across the top of the barnacle.

So, yeah, I appreciate your scepticism, but I'm a believer. That said, it might be no more than just a behaviour to being shot for curiosity's sake and no more.

Argh. Picked up a UA from the UA zone and thought I'd take it around different places see if it did anything.. odd. or different. Stopped in HIP 15609 since convoys carrying UA were last spotted there and dropped out of supercruise to drop the UA and see what it did. Instantly that I did that an NPC called Treyd Wynds spawned in a sidewinder, grabbed it and shot off like a rocket.

*sigh*

How do you determine what it's 'pointing' at ? It didnt seem to me to be pointing at the pleiades.

View attachment 96365

View attachment 96366
If this is repeatable, maybe worth carrying a wake scanner and following them.

*sigh*

View attachment 96365

View attachment 96366

sounds like a pirate npc must have just spawned just before you dropped out of SC and followed you, carrying UAs attracts them

Last edited:
I meant nebulae.

Michael

Woohoo! Thanks Michael!

Can you tell us if the random spawns do behave like normal POIs? Blue Circle I mean?
Or all the Barnacles, random and fixed, must be spotted by eye, as I already suspect?
Thanks

Hi Michael. This is a big one for us. Can you help with this? Are we looking for blue POIs that appear randomly with a very low chance of spawning a barnacle or are the ones that aren't hand placed just procedurally generated permanent features? It would change it from looking for a microbe in a haystack to an actual needle if we can ignore the blue POIs when solely hunting for barnacles.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom