UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I've seen two videos now where those noises occur on a planet in Merope. Very strange sounds, many I've never heard before, even near black holes. I can't help but wonder what relevance they have, if any.

I've been searching on Merope 1A today and have found nothing of interest. No weird noises, no barnacles, no biscuits. And so the search continues :D

Heard them loads of times before in my Asp when out exploring. It's usually when dropped out of SC and just sitting there with a planet targeted.

Okay so I may as well ask;

MB said that Nebulas are good places to look, then gave the 'Seven Sisters' hint. A couple of thoughts;

1 - Does he mean literally within the cloud? Or among the bubble of systems that can have the 'Pleides xxx' name?
2 - Is anyone, by pure chance, checking OTHER nebulas?
3 - Do we think the 'Seven Sisters' hint implies one of the 7 main systems in Pleides? If so I want to find misty planets within those 7 systems.

This is the sound I am unfamiliar with, sounds like a heavy breathing, if the wave scanner is off it's no longer there. I can confirm I did not here this on HIP 17862, all was normal there.

[video=youtube;O6L6Ll1z3mk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6L6Ll1z3mk[/video]

Lol, this whole time I thought that MB said Barnacles could be found in the game, not meta alloys.

So is it even confirmed that Barnacles can be located yet?

The patch notes confirm they are in game. Also, if you'd read all of MB's quotes (that's why they're in the OP) :

07/01/2016, 11:58 AM

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Michael Brookes
Would you be interested in knowing a region of space that is likely to contain barnacles?

Michael

Evening, CMDRs!

I've spent the last few days studying the conditions under which airless planets will develop the mist/fog that we'll sometimes see, and I believe I have a pretty good understanding of when and how it happens.

To summarize: Planets with significant rock content, when heated by sunlight, give off gas, which collects in craters, but can also form a thin layer over the surface in general. In the absence of solar heating, this gas disspates into space fairly quickly. You will find this gas on the day side of a given planet, but the night side will have usually cooled enough that the fog is gone.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, THIS MEANS YOU WILL GENERALLY NOT FIND FOG ON THE DARK SIDE OF A PLANET TIDALLY LOCKED TO ITS STAR.
If you're searching the dark sides of tidally locked planets because of the trailer footage alone, I'd suggest finding a new line of inquiry.

The Details:

I began my investigation in Merope. Here's a screenshot (which I already posted here before my results were conclusive) taken from above the day/night line on Merope 2D:

If you look at the horizon at the edge of the planet, on the right you can see a significant layer of beige-colored fog; on the left, as it darkens, this fog thins out and eventually disappears.

The main breakthrough, though, came entirely by accident, when I visited Shriver Landing (or whatever it's called) in the Ovid system:

That's both pitch black, AND super foggy. So what's going on here? Luckily, that moon is tidally locked to the Earth-like planet that it orbits, and its' orbital period is only 4.8 hours.

I decided to wait a while, and see how long the fog stuck around:

After thinking it over for a while, I've worked out what I think the day/night fog cycle is, on both this and other airless worlds.

DAY/NIGHT/FOG CYCLE

I. Sunrise. No/minimal fog present. Solar heating gradually causes fog to form during the "morning" of whatever part of the body you're on.
II. Eclipse (if a moon). This particular moon passes into its parent planet's shadow at the end of its "morning" period. This was when my "foggy" screenshot was taken - the beginning of the daily "eclipse" period. The Eclipse period starts out dark and foggy, but the fog dissipates a bit from the lack of sun.
III. Re-emergence. The sun comes back out from the other side of the parent body. Fog is present but diminished; heating begins again.
IV. Sunset. The angle of light gets low enough that the fog often dissipates well in advance of the "sunset line" (see my Merope 2D horizon shot above). After sunset, no fog is present.

Obviously, if a planet is not a moon, the Eclipse/Re-emergence phases won't occur.

In Conclusion:

You won't find fog on a tidally-locked night side of a planet. I suggest finding something new to search for.

These foggy areas are definitely where I'd expect to find a strange life form on a dead airless moon, but I don't have a clear enough picture here to help narrow down the search much (yet).

Happy Sciencing CMDRs!

Edit: Realized the horizon shot was actually Merope 5C, and not 2D. Whoops!

Late reply, but absolutely brilliant science. Thank you, very valuable information.
+10

Okay so I may as well ask;

MB said that Nebulas are good places to look, then gave the 'Seven Sisters' hint. A couple of thoughts;

1 - Does he mean literally within the cloud? Or among the bubble of systems that can have the 'Pleides xxx' name?
2 - Is anyone, by pure chance, checking OTHER nebulas?
3 - Do we think the 'Seven Sisters' hint implies one of the 7 main systems in Pleides? If so I want to find misty planets within those 7 systems.

"Nebulae are good places to look, especially the one with the seven sisters in it."

So unless MB confirms that Barnacles are indeed in Horizons we could be chasing something that isn't there, we know people have mentioned the Barnicles supposedly mispelling in game files. Are we jumping to coclusions that they can indeedbe found in game.

All I can remember being confirmed was:

Thargoid content was in horizons, whether is Planetary landings or a later part we dont know.
There is more than one Alien Race/Entity in game.
And the new Meta Alloys can currently be found in the Nebulae. does this mean in rocks/outcrops etc with an extremely low chance of being found, in wrecks or simply for example like the first UA's in SSS USS etc.

Maybe we should start taking looks at USS SSS as well in The Nebulae as they appear?

So MB the million$ question are Barnacles in the game as it is now, or are they coming later?

A weird graphical glitch makes a region near 14 -40 in Merope 5C take longer than usual to load as I approached the planet in supercruise. Investigating.

So unless MB confirms that Barnacles are indeed in Horizons we could be chasing something that isn't there, we know people have mentioned the Barnicles supposedly mispelling in game files. Are we jumping to coclusions that they can indeedbe found in game.

Thargoid content was in horizons, whether is Planetary landings or a later part we dont know.
And the new Meta Alloys can currently be found in the Nebulae. does this mean in rocks/outcrops etc with an extremely low chance of being found, in wrecks or simply for example like the first UA's in SSS USS etc.

Maybe we should start taking looks at USS SSS as well in The Nebulae as they appear?

So MB the million$ question are Barnacles in the game as it is now, or are they coming later?

Please read my prior post, they are in game. We can say with certainty they exist in game and with 99% certainty that they are the source of meta-alloys.
All this doubt will only lead us off course. If you're bored of searching do what I did and stop searching, chase up clues, start up your own intergalactic detective agency, go out and have some fun. It's what I'm doing and it's been great so far.

Last edited:
Service Infos :D

I've started shaping the frontpage's posts the way I'd like.
So, work in progress... ;)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

The Barnacles are widely confirmed by MB being in the game, and likely to be found on a planet, in the Pleiades.
You should take a look at the NEW frontpage posts, specially the part with all MB comments so far ;)

Where and how have you confirmed they are in game, and no i am not bored maybe close to 30 hours this weekend hunting the little buggers :)

Worst case, you'll be hell of a driver when elite meets mad max! Seriously i know how you feel...but how this game can turn into a freaking horror game amazes me. IF you look for the buggers on the dark side for long enough.

Can the SRV make noises even when you are not in it? Forgive me, haven't done much planetary roving, but I was in Merope just now on the surface just sitting in my ship, when I heard what sounded like a SRV being deployed and rolling around underneath my ship. When I took off and turned around there was nothing there.

Can the SRV make noises even when you are not in it? Forgive me, haven't done much planetary roving, but I was in Merope just now on the surface just sitting in my ship, when I heard what sounded like a SRV being deployed and rolling around underneath my ship. When I took off and turned around there was nothing there.

I've heard that sound before, I think it's just part of the ambient sound, it does sound like a SRV rolling though

MB has confirmed they are in game AND the patch notes confirmed they are in game.
Along with that there is plenty of evidence in game to suggest that they are, in fact.... (wait for it) .... in game.

MB has confirmed wait for it the Alloys in game, guess what just read patch notes 2.0 - 2.0.3 Not one mention of Barnacles in notes on the front page of all patch notes.

Now if you have anything concrete besides some game files / folders then point me in the direction that says they are there.

I'm still searching anyway but having gone through loads of threads I have not seen MB confirm Barnacles are in game just the new rare alloy.

MB has confirmed wait for it the Alloys in game, guess what just read patch notes 2.0 - 2.0.3 Not one mention of Barnacles in notes on the front page of all patch notes.

Now if you have anything concrete besides some game files / folders then point me in the direction that says they are there.

I'm still searching anyway but having gone through loads of threads I have not seen MB confirm Barnacles are in game just the new rare alloy.

You didn't read the patch notes very hard

"Shouldn't have to drive away from the crashed ship sites and Barnacles to be able to recall your ship."
it's right there.
Also I did say read my previous post, or the 3rd post down on the front page, where you can open a spoiler section and read everything Michael Brookes has said on the matter.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom