UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Say,

what if the UAs scan the system for Barnacles after being dropped. If no barnacle is found, the UA points to Merope and transmits its data.

In case a Barnacle is detected in the system, the UA could orient itself towards it.

Just an idea, but did we drop a UA in every of the seven sisters and checked, if the UA point to Merope? It does in Merope and Maia, but that must be true for every star system in the Pleiades.
I think this is a very good idea. Solid and simple and using the UA´s in the same way as they were used before - to show the way.

Yeah, it's this region - it can be very small (but still not a dot) - and I guess the colour might depend on the colour you set for your HUD, as it's overlaid on to the scanner.

But, yeah - that's the one :)
All right, but what about the 13.6 km? It could mean that there is a at least 8 km high mountain with a PoI at it's top, but as you can see there is no mountain that high there...

Could there be a link with the Sap 8 Core Container missions? These (summarised here) seem to concern another kind of alien artifact (Sap 8 Cores, which are also referred to as 'data crystals' in mission text), which appears to contain some kind of encrypted data ("We don't know what all the numbers mean").

Coordinates for a barnacle site?

You have to be Elite to get the Core 8 missions so I haven't done them. But I wonder if anyone who has could head back to the station referred to, where you are told that the data will be sent after being "decrypted within a week" and see if there are any new missions or interesting bulletin board stories that might progress the story?

There was another dev post a fair while ago, just prior to the UA morse code discovery, saying that there was 'something going on' with the Sap 8 Cores and that we should keep digging.
Weren't the Sap 8 containers and those crystals more linked to Raxxla than to the UA? That's what I think to remember, but could be wrong...

I do like the using planet types to narrow the search compared with meta-alloy description and what we know about UA. I really like the Electra system.... It has 7 planets. first three are all metal rich high temp and over 1G. And to top it off they have that blue green color scheme like the UA. - Keep hoping to see some geographical features that look like some of the weird stuff on the UA - At any rate - i toodled around there all night with nothing to show. Ya im probably barking up the wrong tree, but will do some more tomorrow.
The description of the meta alloys says that they are good thermal insulators. A thermal insulator is only useful where there is a temperature gradient. On a tidally locked planet the temperature at any one point is likely to be constant and unless the barnacle spawns in an area where temperature is in the ideal range for its growth it is unlikely to be there.

On a planet that is not tidally locked the barnacle could use the day and night temperature differences to regulate its internal temperature and be able to exist where there are extreme temperature variations. I would then concentrate on planets that are metal rich, fairly close to their star and not tidally locked. This would also not favor the bottom of deep craters where starlight never reached.

All right, but what about the 13.6 km? It could mean that there is a at least 8 km high mountain with a PoI at it's top, but as you can see there is no mountain that high there...

You are seeing POI circles at 13 km ? interesting ... I admit i havent really tested the upper limit of the circles ... am usually hovering around that 2km - 1.7 area trying to see the little buggers before deciding if i want to land.

You are seeing POI circles at 13 km ? interesting ... I admit i havent really tested the upper limit of the circles ... am usually hovering around that 2km - 1.7 area trying to see the little buggers before deciding if i want to land.
I'm doing all my scouting between 5 and 15kms above the surface and ordinary blue circle PoIs show up on your radar at those heights. Fixed PoI's (at least the one I visited in Orrere) do not have a blue circle.

I think this is a very good idea. Solid and simple and using the UA´s in the same way as they were used before - to show the way.
Checked Electra, Taygeta, Alcyone, Atlas, Pleione, Maia close to main star->Pointing to Merope

Options:
-Theory does not work.
-All visited systems did not contain Barnacles.
-Only works close to target planet instead of target system.

The main question is, how fPoI can be distiguished from normal ones. Those 13.6 km ones appear when approaching and can be seen when going up as well, sometimes to heights of 30+ km...

The description of the meta alloys says that they are good thermal insulators. A thermal insulator is only useful where there is a temperature gradient. On a tidally locked planet the temperature at any one point is likely to be constant and unless the barnacle spawns in an area where temperature is in the ideal range for its growth it is unlikely to be there.

On a planet that is not tidally locked the barnacle could use the day and night temperature differences to regulate its internal temperature and be able to exist where there are extreme temperature variations. I would then concentrate on planets that are metal rich, fairly close to their star and not tidally locked. This would also not favor the bottom of deep craters where starlight never reached.
good point ! I will have to check - cant remember if all tidally locked or just two of them ... And since 2 and 3 are paired ... i wonder how that works

This must have been said already, but I think we're missing something. There must be a clue, like Planet + Coords somewhere, like the morse code from the artifacts.

Maybe it's not Merope, because it's a small system, with few land-able planets, and also has a big bright star. Maybe a system with a brown-dwarf or something.
The only thing I can think of is that, somewhere, there's a local bulletin board article containing a clue, waiting for someone to notice it.
If that's the real answer we would need a way to reduce the numbers of stations otherwise you would be dealing with yet another needle in a haystack (YANIAH I'm claiming the acronym). Ideally it would have to be a station in Maia, Varati (go canonn!) or Palins current system if not all meta alloy mission spawning stations). The alternative is GalNet so get to reading.
You mean a hint like the given and published one since a few days (08.01.)? https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=195658&p=3385999#post3385999
That would be great, wouldn't it? ...:D... (dead centre, perfect viewing high:cool:)

Weren't the Sap 8 containers and those crystals more linked to Raxxla than to the UA? That's what I think to remember, but could be wrong...
Yes, one of the missions appears to hint about Raxxla, but the gateway there is also supposed to be an alien artifact.

However, the dev post encouraging us to look into Sap 8 core missions was the exact same one encouraging us to look into the UA mystery IIRC.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but maybe not.

Last edited:
Don't forget to take a look, from time to time, at the frontpage, as I've started updating it constantly, depending on relevant news, tools and informations, coming out from current discussions taking place here ;)

If you think I've missed something relevant and I should put it on the FP, please PM me so that I can consider it.

@simulacrae: I'd really like to put the entire collection of your AWESOME artworks on the OP. All of them starting from thread 1, inside a spoiler tag, preferably with links to the posts, not the images themselves. If you'd be so kind to send me the list... ;)

I prefer not to put too many images on the FP, given that on mobiles, SPOILER tags do not work as intended.

Checked Electra, Taygeta, Alcyone, Atlas, Pleione, Maia close to main star->Pointing to Merope

Options:
-Theory does not work.
-All visited systems did not contain Barnacles.
-Only works close to target planet instead of target system.
I´ll get me an UA and try to release it in orbit close to the each planet in Merope. Maybe it changes it´s behaviour and shows to another point when close enough. I´ll keep you updated...

Don't forget to take a look, from time to time, at the frontpage, as I've started updating it constantly, depending on relevant news, tools and informations, coming out from current discussions taking place here ;)

If you think I've missed something relevant and I should put it on the FP, please PM me so that I can consider it.

@simulacrae: I'd really like to put the entire collection of your AWESOME artworks on the OP. All of them starting from thread 1, inside a spoiler tag, preferably with links to the posts, not the images themselves. If you'd be so kind to send me the list... ;)

I prefer not to put too many images on the FP, given that on mobiles, SPOILER tags do not work as intended.
Thanks - will put something together - dont know if you have seen but bitstorm put together a great thread image index tool : http://lolcathost.co.uk/UAFiles/

possible coords to check on likely planets:
any shown in sneak peeks
any mentioned in space odyssey
+52.205, +0.119 (cambridge uk)
+28.4556, -80.5278 (cape canaveral/kennedy space center)
+0.6875, +23.4333 (location of first moon landing)
think of the locations as passwords of FD's your trying to guess.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom