UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Note that canyons, which is where I think we should search, can be on the sun rise/set side of a planet and be completely dark as well (and may be darker as they aren't lit by the general light from background space, e.g. nebula). It also does not have to have mist to be dark. Been searching canyons only for the past few days.

Last edited:
Awesome!

In which case this narrows tonight's search down to;

Titdally locked worlds with vapour geysers;

Maia A 7
Maia B 1 B A
Maia B 2 D
Maia B 3 A

Also the planet that is NOt tidally locked but DOES have Vapour geysers;

Maia B 2 C

Any idea if silicate magma means mist?

Any other wild theories that need testing regarding the UA?

I tried today releasing in the gravity well of the planet, see if it turns to merope so close to a planet. Figured it might be a compass after all, to the magic X spot.
Above Merope 3C i lost it, ejected from cargo but it didn't even hit the space just vanished.

If you're in the mood. :D

I took them to all merope planets but it was telling me nothing special just the usual body name

Last edited:
Conclusions from Gaseous Fog Research

Evening, CMDRs!

I've spent the last few days studying the conditions under which airless planets will develop the mist/fog that we'll sometimes see, and I believe I have a pretty good understanding of when and how it happens.

To summarize: Planets with significant rock content, when heated by sunlight, give off gas, which collects in craters, but can also form a thin layer over the surface in general. In the absence of solar heating, this gas disspates into space fairly quickly. You will find this gas on the day side of a given planet, but the night side will have usually cooled enough that the fog is gone.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, THIS MEANS YOU WILL GENERALLY NOT FIND FOG ON THE DARK SIDE OF A PLANET TIDALLY LOCKED TO ITS STAR.
If you're searching the dark sides of tidally locked planets because of the trailer footage alone, I'd suggest finding a new line of inquiry.

The Details:

I began my investigation in Merope. Here's a screenshot (which I already posted here before my results were conclusive) taken from above the day/night line on Merope 2D:

Screenshot_0276.png

If you look at the horizon at the edge of the planet, on the right you can see a significant layer of beige-colored fog; on the left, as it darkens, this fog thins out and eventually disappears.

The main breakthrough, though, came entirely by accident, when I visited Shriver Landing (or whatever it's called) in the Ovid system:

Screenshot_0277.png

That's both pitch black, AND super foggy. So what's going on here? Luckily, that moon is tidally locked to the Earth-like planet that it orbits, and its' orbital period is only 4.8 hours.

I decided to wait a while, and see how long the fog stuck around:

Screenshot_0281.png

After thinking it over for a while, I've worked out what I think the day/night fog cycle is, on both this and other airless worlds.

DAY/NIGHT/FOG CYCLE

I. Sunrise. No/minimal fog present. Solar heating gradually causes fog to form during the "morning" of whatever part of the body you're on.
II. Eclipse (if a moon). This particular moon passes into its parent planet's shadow at the end of its "morning" period. This was when my "foggy" screenshot was taken - the beginning of the daily "eclipse" period. The Eclipse period starts out dark and foggy, but the fog dissipates a bit from the lack of sun.
III. Re-emergence. The sun comes back out from the other side of the parent body. Fog is present but diminished; heating begins again.
IV. Sunset. The angle of light gets low enough that the fog often dissipates well in advance of the "sunset line" (see my Merope 2D horizon shot above). After sunset, no fog is present.

Obviously, if a planet is not a moon, the Eclipse/Re-emergence phases won't occur.

In Conclusion:

You won't find fog on a tidally-locked night side of a planet. I suggest finding something new to search for.

These foggy areas are definitely where I'd expect to find a strange life form on a dead airless moon, but I don't have a clear enough picture here to help narrow down the search much (yet).

Happy Sciencing CMDRs!

Edit: Realized the horizon shot was actually Merope 5C, and not 2D. Whoops!

Last edited:
Can also confirm that Ariel (Moon of Uranus, not Neptune, I was wrong earlier) is thickly laden with mist but has NO Volcanism, according to the in-game stats so that isn't a factor either.

Trying to track down the source of the creepy noise. Its definitely getting louder and more creepy and had two CTD so far. Not had a CTD before that for months.

Note that canyons, which is where I think we should search, can be on the sun rise/set side of a planet and be completely dark as well (and may be darker as they aren't lit by the general light from background space, e.g. nebula). It also does not have to have mist to be dark. Been searching canyons only for the past few days.

Yeah that trailer was dark and the only place we get dark is canyons or craters. Of course the trailer could have been from a build where night side wasn't so well illuminated. Still craters/canyons get my vote as most likely.

Awesome!

In which case this narrows tonight's search down to;

Titdally locked worlds with vapour geysers;

Maia A 7
Maia B 1 B A
Maia B 2 D
Maia B 3 A

Also the planet that is NOt tidally locked but DOES have Vapour geysers;

Maia B 2 C

I'll be looking around Maia A7 for a couple of days. I had a look around where I've landed for the night (-8,4455 by -96.3830) and in about 10 minutes found some Tungsten (rare) and Antimony (very rare) lying around.

Screenshot_0083.jpg

Doesn't look that misty here but I'll be moving around to other areas on the planet.

Last edited:
Tomorrow morning: Michael reads this thread. Ask Development again. They take a look into the spawn table of the Barnacles Poi.

*uhh we have it game, but we forgot to active them..*

So the UA points at Merope's star. Has anyone pointed themselves at the star? Maybe there's a special audio cue that would tell us which body in the system to search.

I'm just anticipating that moment when I check back in on this thread and ten pages have been laid down in 10 minutes. At that point...i'll know.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom