UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The endeavor may be maddeningly frustrating... but the views more than make up for it I'd say.

Screenshot_0897.png

Well I wasn't wrong exactly, he didn't say it in the UA thread. Which is what SpocksoddSocks said.

But that is just plain bull.
Like seriously, what the hell. Why on earth did he think it was a good idea to make them exceedingly rare. We don't want ANOTHER UA hunt. Sure, it was fun the first time, but not a second time.

It's not fun, it's frustrating. And, honestly, I can't help but look. I wanna be where the excitement is. I'll roleplay salvager and hope to GOD the blue POIs I leave behind when full cargo are not barnacles.

Well I wasn't wrong exactly, he didn't say it in the UA thread. Which is what SpocksoddSocks said.

But that is just plain bull.
Like seriously, what the hell. Why on earth did he think it was a good idea to make them exceedingly rare. We don't want ANOTHER UA hunt. Sure, it was fun the first time, but not a second time.

It's not fun, it's frustrating. And, honestly, I can't help but look. I wanna be where the excitement is. I'll roleplay salvager and hope to GOD the blue POIs I leave behind when full cargo are not barnacles.

Spocksoddsocks confusion would have been that MB posted the followup post saying they'd been checked and in game in both threads, so it's quite forgivable.

It's frustrating yes, but it's also highly compelling as it has me out looking at pretty terrain when I could be using the time to play Fallout 4. Suspect I'll go back to Fallout for a bit this week to freshen up, but I can't help but feel that this hunt was planned as a way of getting people to actually have a reason to see the sights.

I think it's also possible that FD underestimated the difficulty of finding them and are currently deciding what to do about that without giving the game away.

The north pole on Pleione 4 is swarming with scanner hits. I found a crashed ship, another old-timey satellite, and a gold stash all within a a very short drive of each other. This is very unusual. I have a feeling that if I drive around here enough, one of these POI's will spawn a Barnacle.

Hmm, I've been searching on Merope 2D for a day or so now, I guess I can go check out its poles in a few minutes here.

Hmm... you mean in one of the vids you could see something from high up?

Probably I'd venture guess that there is something ever so slight that is "different" about one particular area somewhere where you find barnacles/alloys. Problem is on a planetary scale that is quite an extensive enterprise to look for it. If there is such a thing as a particular type of planet where you will find these things then the progression is Step 1 locate said planet, Step 2 look for bizarre and/or surface features that are unique and not matching with the environment Step 3... be famous?

How much effort has gone in to looking for a crater with a mist like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jE7UhIyRnA

The time when the video was published could be related to when they placed the Barnacles, like an early clue.

The mist makes it possible to spot the crater from distance which no longer makes this a crazy hunt for the needle.

Maybe it´s a fixed barnacle in the mist and we could use the star at the end as a clue?

The video description says cold rock!

Unfortunately it doesnt seem like its in the Pleiades, but at least we have an idea of what we could be looking for.

Last edited:
Crazy theory time (rummages for tinfoil hat):

What if the UA's aren't transmitting to Merope? What if the reason they're all pointed at Merope is because they're listening instead. Merope may indeed be a relay, but whatever was sending signals to it stopped a long time ago and the UA's are just waiting for someone to start broadcasting again.

So, then the question becomes, how do we use a star as a transmitter? Assuming we could, the other part of the experiment would simply involve someone observing a UA pointed at Merope and see what happens when the transmission hits the star.

How much effort has gone in to looking for a crater with a mist like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jE7UhIyRnA

The time when the video was published could be related to when they placed the Barnacles, like an early clue.

The mist makes it possible to spot the crater from distance which no longer makes this a crazy hunt for the needle.

Maybe it´s a fixed barnacle in the mist and we could use the star at the end as a clue?

The video description says cold rock!

Unfortunately it doesnt seem like its in the Pleiades, but at least we have an idea of what we could be looking for.

Nice spot, i've been looking into planet types and volcanicity in the pleiades for more unusual places , but not paid much attention to that trailer till now. I'll explore along that idea tomorrow. could be a good lead.

video's description is interesting too.
Published on Nov 6, 2015
Here's another unedited video taken from Elite Dangerous: Horizons.
Again, many things here are unfinished which I won't call out. This shows another slow zoom, but this time showing the effect of volatiles forming as a mist in a deep crater on a cold, rocky, uninhabited world.

Last edited:
I've driven over 1.4Mm and not suffered one of these strange destructions. I'm not a slow or cautious driver, I will slam pedal to the metal over moguls and thruster from dune to dune, or fall 800m on a 1.2g world and survive because of Premium SRV repair immediately before hitting the floor. Nevertheless, I always load at least a 4G Planetary Hangar (2 SRVs).

That's probably your ship dismissing itself and jumping out to orbital cruise. It makes an echoing sonic boom as it jumps out.

It is friendly for finding Arsenic and Polonium for jumponium. I quite like the planet. Maybe it's the blue star giving everything a washed out shade.

Don't even joke about that! ;)
Really, the collective number of flight and driving hours racked up by all pilots in the Pleiades this weekend is insane!

I've spotted a POI from 3km away in my ship because of the lights. It was distinctive because I've never seen a data point like it, with bunkers and a blue shaft of light shining into the sky. Very human. Nothing usually found.

Kerrash said have we reduced the number of planets to search yet.
Given the SRV thrusters in the trailer indicate a planet with higher than 1g gravity, here's a list of the landable planets over 1g in the Pleiades. Thank you to whichever editor did this in the spreadsheet because it wasn't me. I'm grateful they did it. Thank you.
From spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ZRligUFw79RnXmPPH0H8TAw/edit?usp=docslist_api

PlanetTypeLandableTidally locked GravityTemp (K)
HR 1185 A 4High Metal ContentYesNo4.12701
Taygeta 4Metal-richYesYes3.51388
Taygeta 7High Metal ContentYesYes2.9561
HIP 17862 2High Metal ContentYesYes2.64
HIP 17862 1High Metal ContentYesYes2.19
Maia A 7High Metal ContentYesYes1.96545
Pleione 4Metal-richYesYes1.821046
HR 1172 A 1Metal-richYesYes1.541033
Electra 1Metal-richYesNo1.391334
Electra 2Metal-richYesYes1.351017
HR 1172 A 2High Metal ContentYesNo1.25777
Pleione 6High Metal ContentYesYes1.25789
Electra 3Metal-richYesYes1.161017

I like the look of Electra 3....

A history of Michael Brookes responses Dec 2015 / Jan 2016 (Courtesy of Panzertand)
05/01/2016, 6:15 PM
Q: Soo, does this mean we don't need the mission to find them?
Or any other special requirements (like an UA in the cargohold)?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Michael Brookes

No mission needed.

Michael

Am I reading too much into the omission, or does anyone else think that this means we should have a UA in our hold when we're searching?

Am I reading too much into the omission, or does anyone else think that this means we should have a UA in our hold when we're searching?

I'm starting to think it would help. In other new, I've randomly exploded about 7 SRV's, so I think I'm going to take a break until Thursday...

I forget, was it ever mentioned that they will be found in a POI? Or is there still a possibility of it being a completely random signal?

I forget, was it ever mentioned that they will be found in a POI? Or is there still a possibility of it being a completely random signal?

As far as I know, we have zero confirmation either way. The only clue is that so far, fixed POI's seem to have no blue dot, and we know some of the barnacles are fixed. We do not know if this means no blue dot for them though.

As far as I know, we have zero confirmation either way. The only clue is that so far, fixed POI's seem to have no blue dot, and we know some of the barnacles are fixed. We do not know if this means no blue dot for them though.

So wait, what is this blue dot? On the radar or something else?

About those planet sounds. What I have been listening the videos sent on this thread I think those are just normal ambient sound based on the object type. Just like you can just "listen" water/ammonia worlds and Ammonia-based/Water-based Gas Giants on System map for example.

My sound settings are currently:
Sound Effect Volume: Max
Sound Effect Mute: Unmute
Music Volume: 0
Music Mute: Unmute
Sound Effects: All Enabled

Very good thread for this:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=144782

The sound effects of Elite are just simply the best on game scene and FD's sound effects division members should be raise to nobility at once!

PS:

If you want creepy sounds, set your audio settings like me and land some unsanctioned outpost...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom