UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I suspect though that MB wants us to use our brains to find the target, not use a brute force approach as many of us are doing.

My guess is his hints were not intended to send us all scurrying to the region to start scanning madly, but instead apply those hints to the things like analyzing the videos or in-game info (little that it is) to it.

I could of course be totally off base.

Agreed, but we seem to have a lack of real in-game info to go on at the moment.
In the absence of more hints, brute force seems like the only way.

I'm not sure I like a reliance of out-of-game resources for things like this.
If the trailer clip is an actual clue - i.e. a real location in the game and not just custom resources for the video, then it would be better to reveal it via a news item with some additional info in the text.

What do we actually know from in the game:
- UAs orient to the main star in Merope
- UAs transmit morse representations of ships
- the meta-alloy commodity description - "associated with barnacles ... common in certain regions of space"
- the meta-alloy mission - ~6 days to find it on a 'Planet'

We already have a better clue than the information that MB gave us - UAs pointing to Merope, and specifically to Merope.
But then the linkage between barnacles and UAs is speculation at this point.

Not much more than that to go on that I can see - everything else that people are chasing seems like speculation to me - gravity, dark-sides, fog, tidally locked, etc.

Last edited:
I had the same glitch, pointing at the about same place that I never had before in any other system.

OMG we're looking for the Mysterons! ;)

I've been searching quite a lot lately but almost exclusively in the SRV. Driving over mountain ranges is so much fun and the views are spectacular. Nothing worth reporting though.

On another note the meta-alloys apparently could be the next stage in materials tech according to the mission. So crafting? So does this mean there is only a certain amount of time to find them before the next big update arrives? Could be interesting.

Dont forget we've been told once before (on the UA's) not to overthink too much

I do like the using planet types to narrow the search compared with meta-alloy description and what we know about UA. I really like the Electra system.... It has 7 planets. first three are all metal rich high temp and over 1G. And to top it off they have that blue green color scheme like the UA. - Keep hoping to see some geographical features that look like some of the weird stuff on the UA - At any rate - i toodled around there all night with nothing to show. Ya im probably barking up the wrong tree, but will do some more tomorrow.

@ FIXED POINTS OF INTEREST:

As it has been said, normal PoI show up at a heigth of between 6 down to 1.6 km.
So does that mean that PoI appearing at 13.6 km (as in the picture) are fixed ones?

Could not find any discription of fPoI...

treasure_hunting_036.jpg

I´m with you.

If we look at the UA´s they clearly show us the way to merope - without having to understand the morse. Like a huge traffic sign, impossible to miss. The morse is additional information, not essential.

If I continue in this logic I would say there has to be a simple way to get to these barnacles. I cannot be expected from an average gamer to get into this story like The Canonn & friends, which is just a question of time for many. But I expect FD to make it possible for them to find barnacles as well. So I still believe we are all missing out on a clue, so obvious we just don´t see it -- or, much worse, the ultimate clue wasn´t given until now.

And for sciences sake, there will be enough to science about in trying to understand what they are, how they work and why they are here.

(Luckily I´m safe from overthinking, flying in orbit for hours while scanning surfaces with my eyes took away 95 % of my brain. Thanks FD for this nice weekend :D)

Say,

what if the UAs scan the system for Barnacles after being dropped. If no barnacle is found, the UA points to Merope and transmits its data.

In case a Barnacle is detected in the system, the UA could orient itself towards it.

Just an idea, but did we drop a UA in every of the seven sisters and checked, if the UA point to Merope? It does in Merope and Maia, but that must be true for every star system in the Pleiades.

Yeah, however, we tend to miss the "obvious" and then spend months looking for the obscure.

What is obvious for MB and not overthinking things might take a while for those who are analyzing this to hit on the solution.

Anyway, yes, the solution will probably not be as convoluted as people are currently thinking, and with hindsight it will be one of those "Oh, that's so obvious!" type things.

@ FIXED POINTS OF INTEREST:

As it has been said, normal PoI show up at a heigth of between 6 down to 1.6 km.
So does that mean that PoI appearing at 13.6 km (as in the picture) are fixed ones?

Could not find any discription of fPoI...

View attachment 93975

I'm still unsure of what the "blue dot" people are talking about is when talking about POIs. If they mean the area that comes up on the radar, it's more purple than blue and it's definitely more than a "dot".

Say,

what if the UAs scan the system for Barnacles after being dropped. If no barnacle is found, the UA points to Merope and transmits its data.

In case a Barnacle is detected in the system, the UA could orient itself towards it.

Just an idea, but did we drop a UA in every of the seven sisters and checked, if the UA point to Merope? It does in Merope and Maia, but that must be true for every star system in the Pleiades.

Worth a shot - very simple ;)

UAs have been taken to most of these systems in the past I think, but not sure if a concerted effort has been made since Horizons to check this out.

I'm still unsure of what the "blue dot" people are talking about is when talking about POIs. If they mean the area that comes up on the radar, it's more purple than blue and it's definitely more than a "dot".

yup the "purple" circle ... shows up (centers) over a POI from 2km and up to around 4km high

Could there be a link with the Sap 8 Core Container missions? These (summarised here) seem to concern another kind of alien artifact (Sap 8 Cores, which are also referred to as 'data crystals' in mission text), which appears to contain some kind of encrypted data ("We don't know what all the numbers mean").

Coordinates for a barnacle site?

You have to be Elite to get the Core 8 missions so I haven't done them. But I wonder if anyone who has could head back to the station referred to, where you are told that the data will be sent after being "decrypted within a week" and see if there are any new missions or interesting bulletin board stories that might progress the story?

There was another dev post a fair while ago, just prior to the UA morse code discovery, saying that there was 'something going on' with the Sap 8 Cores and that we should keep digging.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's this region - it can be very small (but still not a dot) - and I guess the colour might depend on the colour you set for your HUD, as it's overlaid on to the scanner.

But, yeah - that's the one :)

Say,

I think this is a very good idea. Solid and simple and using the UA´s in the same way as they were used before - to show the way.

Yeah, it's this region - it can be very small (but still not a dot) - and I guess the colour might depend on the colour you set for your HUD, as it's overlaid on to the scanner.

But, yeah - that's the one :)

All right, but what about the 13.6 km? It could mean that there is a at least 8 km high mountain with a PoI at it's top, but as you can see there is no mountain that high there...

Could there be a link with the Sap 8 Core Container missions? These (summarised here) seem to concern another kind of alien artifact (Sap 8 Cores, which are also referred to as 'data crystals' in mission text), which appears to contain some kind of encrypted data ("We don't know what all the numbers mean").

Coordinates for a barnacle site?

You have to be Elite to get the Core 8 missions so I haven't done them. But I wonder if anyone who has could head back to the station referred to, where you are told that the data will be sent after being "decrypted within a week" and see if there are any new missions or interesting bulletin board stories that might progress the story?

There was another dev post a fair while ago, just prior to the UA morse code discovery, saying that there was 'something going on' with the Sap 8 Cores and that we should keep digging.
Weren't the Sap 8 containers and those crystals more linked to Raxxla than to the UA? That's what I think to remember, but could be wrong...

I do like the using planet types to narrow the search compared with meta-alloy description and what we know about UA. I really like the Electra system.... It has 7 planets. first three are all metal rich high temp and over 1G. And to top it off they have that blue green color scheme like the UA. - Keep hoping to see some geographical features that look like some of the weird stuff on the UA - At any rate - i toodled around there all night with nothing to show. Ya im probably barking up the wrong tree, but will do some more tomorrow.

The description of the meta alloys says that they are good thermal insulators. A thermal insulator is only useful where there is a temperature gradient. On a tidally locked planet the temperature at any one point is likely to be constant and unless the barnacle spawns in an area where temperature is in the ideal range for its growth it is unlikely to be there.

On a planet that is not tidally locked the barnacle could use the day and night temperature differences to regulate its internal temperature and be able to exist where there are extreme temperature variations. I would then concentrate on planets that are metal rich, fairly close to their star and not tidally locked. This would also not favor the bottom of deep craters where starlight never reached.

All right, but what about the 13.6 km? It could mean that there is a at least 8 km high mountain with a PoI at it's top, but as you can see there is no mountain that high there...

You are seeing POI circles at 13 km ? interesting ... I admit i havent really tested the upper limit of the circles ... am usually hovering around that 2km - 1.7 area trying to see the little buggers before deciding if i want to land.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom