UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
You are seeing POI circles at 13 km ? interesting ... I admit i havent really tested the upper limit of the circles ... am usually hovering around that 2km - 1.7 area trying to see the little buggers before deciding if i want to land.

I'm doing all my scouting between 5 and 15kms above the surface and ordinary blue circle PoIs show up on your radar at those heights. Fixed PoI's (at least the one I visited in Orrere) do not have a blue circle.

I think this is a very good idea. Solid and simple and using the UA´s in the same way as they were used before - to show the way.

Checked Electra, Taygeta, Alcyone, Atlas, Pleione, Maia close to main star->Pointing to Merope

Options:
-Theory does not work.
-All visited systems did not contain Barnacles.
-Only works close to target planet instead of target system.

You are seeing POI circles at 13 km ? interesting ... I admit i havent really tested the upper limit of the circles ... am usually hovering around that 2km - 1.7 area trying to see the little buggers before deciding if i want to land.

The main question is, how fPoI can be distiguished from normal ones. Those 13.6 km ones appear when approaching and can be seen when going up as well, sometimes to heights of 30+ km...

The description of the meta alloys says that they are good thermal insulators. A thermal insulator is only useful where there is a temperature gradient. On a tidally locked planet the temperature at any one point is likely to be constant and unless the barnacle spawns in an area where temperature is in the ideal range for its growth it is unlikely to be there.

On a planet that is not tidally locked the barnacle could use the day and night temperature differences to regulate its internal temperature and be able to exist where there are extreme temperature variations. I would then concentrate on planets that are metal rich, fairly close to their star and not tidally locked. This would also not favor the bottom of deep craters where starlight never reached.

good point ! I will have to check - cant remember if all tidally locked or just two of them ... And since 2 and 3 are paired ... i wonder how that works

This must have been said already, but I think we're missing something. There must be a clue, like Planet + Coords somewhere, like the morse code from the artifacts.

Maybe it's not Merope, because it's a small system, with few land-able planets, and also has a big bright star. Maybe a system with a brown-dwarf or something.

The only thing I can think of is that, somewhere, there's a local bulletin board article containing a clue, waiting for someone to notice it.

If that's the real answer we would need a way to reduce the numbers of stations otherwise you would be dealing with yet another needle in a haystack (YANIAH I'm claiming the acronym). Ideally it would have to be a station in Maia, Varati (go canonn!) or Palins current system if not all meta alloy mission spawning stations). The alternative is GalNet so get to reading.

You mean a hint like the given and published one since a few days (08.01.)? https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=195658&p=3385999#post3385999
7Hl7i9R.jpg
That would be great, wouldn't it? ...:D... (dead centre, perfect viewing high:cool:)

Weren't the Sap 8 containers and those crystals more linked to Raxxla than to the UA? That's what I think to remember, but could be wrong...

Yes, one of the missions appears to hint about Raxxla, but the gateway there is also supposed to be an alien artifact.

However, the dev post encouraging us to look into Sap 8 core missions was the exact same one encouraging us to look into the UA mystery IIRC.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but maybe not.

Last edited:
Don't forget to take a look, from time to time, at the frontpage, as I've started updating it constantly, depending on relevant news, tools and informations, coming out from current discussions taking place here ;)

If you think I've missed something relevant and I should put it on the FP, please PM me so that I can consider it.

@simulacrae: I'd really like to put the entire collection of your AWESOME artworks on the OP. All of them starting from thread 1, inside a spoiler tag, preferably with links to the posts, not the images themselves. If you'd be so kind to send me the list... ;)

I prefer not to put too many images on the FP, given that on mobiles, SPOILER tags do not work as intended.

Checked Electra, Taygeta, Alcyone, Atlas, Pleione, Maia close to main star->Pointing to Merope

Options:
-Theory does not work.
-All visited systems did not contain Barnacles.
-Only works close to target planet instead of target system.

I´ll get me an UA and try to release it in orbit close to the each planet in Merope. Maybe it changes it´s behaviour and shows to another point when close enough. I´ll keep you updated...

Don't forget to take a look, from time to time, at the frontpage, as I've started updating it constantly, depending on relevant news, tools and informations, coming out from current discussions taking place here ;)

If you think I've missed something relevant and I should put it on the FP, please PM me so that I can consider it.

@simulacrae: I'd really like to put the entire collection of your AWESOME artworks on the OP. All of them starting from thread 1, inside a spoiler tag, preferably with links to the posts, not the images themselves. If you'd be so kind to send me the list... ;)

I prefer not to put too many images on the FP, given that on mobiles, SPOILER tags do not work as intended.

Thanks - will put something together - dont know if you have seen but bitstorm put together a great thread image index tool : http://lolcathost.co.uk/UAFiles/

possible coords to check on likely planets:
any shown in sneak peeks
any mentioned in space odyssey
+52.205, +0.119 (cambridge uk)
+28.4556, -80.5278 (cape canaveral/kennedy space center)
+0.6875, +23.4333 (location of first moon landing)
think of the locations as passwords of FD's your trying to guess.

I´ll get me an UA and try to release it in orbit close to the each planet in Merope. Maybe it changes it´s behaviour and shows to another point when close enough. I´ll keep you updated...
Someone, I don't remember who, posted a few pages back that the UA drifted when released in orbit. It might be worth checking if this drift goes against the direction one would expect. While the head of the UA may always point to Merope, maybe they tend to drift in the direction of Large Barnacles.
I don't think this will be the case, but still worth a test, in my opinion.
As I picked up a new UA on the way back from the California Nebula, after losing the last one smearing my Cobra all over some planet, I will give this a go tonight. I might also, for a change, bring the UA along in the SRV for a while, assuming it'll survive the drop test(s).

MB is probably sitting in the office right now, checking logs from the weekend, giggling like a school girl about the many times we missed them by a hundred meters.

So, pleiades region five, second star, 5th and 6th planets 0by0 or polar regions.

Does this make sense? I'm at work.
I like it.

And '5' could mean 5-stars system, or 5th brightest(hottest) star in Pleiades

And ''Thursday's night'' might be another pointer there - could it be that we need to look at night side? Why ''Thursday'' though? Hmm...

Last edited:
I like it.

And '5' could mean 5-stars system, or 5th brightest(hottest) star in Pleiades

It could be the fifth of the seven sisters by brightness, number of stars, number of planets, alphabetically or by mythological age. I can't think of another way of ranking the seven sisters.

I was there today on Pleione 3A, which has a huge crater near one of its poles. Very beautiful with Pleione 3 in the background!

http://i.imgur.com/OiAXYcC.jpg

However, I. lost my ship as I left with the "leave planet-go into supercruise-hit planet suddenly appearing in front of you" bug. Had to fly the 500Ly back *sigh*

Not a lot of POIs curiously. On Merope yesterday, they popped up regularly, but on Pleione... nothing.

I had exactly the same on Saturday whilst exploring what is probably the very same crater (very large and steep sided). The moon also has very low gravity iirc 0.04g and in addition to the bug you had I also had a relog incident, where I spawned several km above the surface and had some skimmers drop out of the sky - seems to be a planet surface "collision detection vs visible model" issue.

Could you listen for the whale songs? A UA normally alternates between two distinct whale songs. What I'd look for is it starting to only sing one.

I found if you put two UA together they each play one whale song only.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom