UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Dull Mission Report:

Flew for 1hr at full unboosted speed over Merope 3 C at -55deg in a westerly direction at a height between 2 and 4km.
While I of course ignored any Blue Zones, I was interested to see what I would be able to eyeball. The only one of the many blue zones I spotted was a few warehouses with defence turrets from a height of 2.4km. It had spot lights so was incredibly easy to eyeball, I cant tell if I would have spotted it otherwise.

You risk The Wrath of Dom. He might even travel all the way to Ceti Alpha six just to pick up one of the native inhabitants so that he can suggest not to post this kind of info... ;)
Aw. I can remove it if it's against policy, I wasn't sure. I hear Ceti Alpha 6 is unpleasant this time of year...

Great points. The bolded bit is a bit conflicting though. If they really wanted a very dark place, they wouldn't pick a system within a nebula to start with.

The only things I can think of as being significant for nebulae:

- They reflect light, which means <in game hat on> someone/something might like brighter places or <out of game hat on> the brighter light makes these places easier to search!
- They're visual landmarks that are a lot more appealing than a random system in deep space.
- They're the nurseries for stars and planets. Has anyone seen a brand new star or planet recently? Maybe if we hang around for a few million years something might show up....

Unless for some reason "they" don't like direct starlight - but do need some form of light.

Hi folks; I just recently joined the hunt in the Pleiades, and I noticed some possibly useful clues in the game's data files. Looking at the files is kinda meta-gamey, so if you don't want to see I've spoilers'd it, but I figured meta-gaming for meta-alloys could be appropriate :)

PLEASE do not. Spoiler tags dont work on Mobiles

Sorry for posting that, I've flagged it to be removed (new to the forum, can't edit/delete my own posts yet :/) I didn't actually look at any files, just filenames, but I realize it's not in the spirit of the hunt.

If the barnacles are in some way radiosynthetic (obtaining nourishment from radiation) then residing on atmosphere-less worlds would convey an advantage (more cosmic radiation). But what if they can't tolerate the intense radiation from solar proximity and can only thrive on world's some distance from their host star, in darkness?

In this case the extra background ionizing radiation from Nebulae might provide the Goldilocks zone for this species.

Maybe worlds further out from their host star are good candidates.

I'm no nuclear physicist or space barnie physiologist. Just some creative reflection.

Good luck commanders!

Unless for some reason "they" don't like direct starlight - but do need some form of light.

Hi Obsidian (Massive fan),

These were my initial considerations on the barnacles possible relationship to light and radiation.

Fly safe.

Thats the settlement on Maia B1 D
2016-01-11_00002.jpg2016-01-11_00001.jpg

I was just on Merope 1D - did the flying low thing for a while then started SRVing - there are an awful lot of Metallic Meteorites down there. So, must remember this: Metallic planets aren't really/necessarily the best places to go for a wide range metal.

And again I come to something I've been thinking - if a planet has a Barnacle on it - how did it get there? On a metallic asteroid?

Hi, Quick question for MB or anyone that KNOWS...

Can we search via our ships (eg. height of 100m) or will we need to land to spot the Barnacles?

I really don't want to waste time searching via flying, if the will not show...

Thanks

Nutter

Guys, I was on my way to B1 D and I think I recognise the... organisation of those stars in the sky...

QWVlSG7.jpg

Am I crazy or is this well known ?

The problem with "quite logical if you think about it" is that I can think of lots of reasons! :)

Nebulae are pretty distinct against a backdrop of stars, so make good navigational points in the galaxy. They're transport hubs?

They catch the eye and so intelligent life forms will explore them? A lot of explorers in ED explored nearby nebulae way before the UA business started.

This kind of nebula produces stars (they don't all do that) and is 'energy rich', the barnacles being a kind of energy harvesting organism that produces/grows 'power-cells' for other Thargoid technology?

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Yeah, he did actually say meta-alloys were "exceedingly rare" towards the end of the last thread. People then started pointing out how similar his wording was to a post he made when UAs were first introduced.

I did indeed say they are exceedingly rare - much rarer than UAs. ALthough unlike the UAs there are some that have been physically placed by us, although they are generated in certain areas of space.

Michael

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom