UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I think the yellow star may be a secondary star. Like in Maia. In one shot you can see a blue star in the distance, next to the yellow.

BTW, it's not Maia. No planets orbits the yellow star there.

LoL! I am very painfully aware of that as I have already checked every yellow/white type star (and red dwarfs), over about 4 days, in the Pleiades nebula and close to the nebula and none, that I can find, fits the bill of the trailer planet.

Don't forget in the trailer, it details three separate SRV "stories" on three separate planets.

The SRV pair are the ones who go past the Type 9 derelict and then the big greeny thing. A mountainous rocky planet (icy planets can look like this too), with brownish ground and a primary yellow star (possibly, with blue binary). The yellow star is also quite close.

I actually don't think the planet exists in game, but it has given me some pointers, in terms of planet composition rocky brownish land colour. High metal content worlds have a more striated mesh like look to the surface, which the trailer planet didn't have.

Ok, I did some thinking and have my theory. But it can provide some direction only if the devs didn't decide to simply put the barnacles in the nebulae and then left all of it in the hands of God of RNG. If there is really some scientific logic behind all this, my theory should work and narrow the area of searching.

Barnacles are living organism right?! What does living organism need to prosper?

1. Basic building compound - carbon. This should by provided by the Pleiades reflection nebula.
  2. Metal - as barnacles are source of meta-alloys. Should by provided by MR or HMC bodies. Here we can debate, if the rock bodies has sufficient amount of metal in them for barnacles to grow (personally I think they don't). Maybe better conditions for growing if the body has volcanic activity.
  3. Energy - starlight, space radioactivity, volcanic energy (dark places, such as craters, canyons, dark side of tidally locked body.
  4. Liquid media or vapors (cellular fluid) - water, hydrogen sulfide (sulfane), ammonia. This plays key role in my theory, because it significantly narrows the parts of planetary body surface for searching. For tidally locked bodies, this would include dark side (if volcanic activity is present), twilight zone, or deep craters or canals. For other bodies only poles are the possibility, as caves are not on the game.

Now, maybe I overdid it, but I think it's logical to look at it this way. Feel free to correct me, or add your own thoughts Commanders. I hope that Frontier will not disappoint me by using only the nebulae and RNG.:D

Following that road it appears the name of Celaeno:

Celaeno is one of the seven stars of the Pleiades. On its fourth planet is the Great Library of Celaeno, which houses stone tablets containing secrets stolen from the Great Old Ones and Elder Gods. Professor Laban Shrewsbury spent some time here, transcribing the library's knowledge in his notebook—a manuscript that would later be known as theCelaeno Fragments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterrestrial_places_in_the_Cthulhu_Mythos#Celaeno

Such a pity there is no Celaeno 4, and no landable planets.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

This maybe?

Taken from the book :"A Dictionary of Some Tuamotuan Dialects of the Polynesian Language"

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...AEIfDAS#v=onepage&q=barnacle pleiades&f=false

Just to add a little more definition:

Capella is in the bubble in ED

According with Wikipedia, Barnacles should grow over a substrate eroding it and these are marine organism.
Due to the fact that Horizons doesn't allow us to land on air planets with wather, the only possible option is the MIST. The substrate can be a crashed ship.
Being manually placed like some crashed ships, we have to search for a manually placed crash site on a planet with MIST.
Where can probably crash a ship on Pleiades? Near a black hole I think... who knows?

I think your theory is correct, however substitute MIST for Nebula gas and particles. Any planet therefore without an atmosphere could be a possibility maybe as others have suggested a slightly higher G world to concentrate the nebula material closer to the surface.

I saw dense PoIs at the poles on Merope 3C. Best guess is that it's an artefact of the distribution process. If you assume that there is a random chance of a PoI showing up at each (x,y) on the surface then there dense clusters of these at the poles due to the lines of latitude converging, hence more PoIs.

The graphic below might help: if there is a equal chance of a PoI showing up in each divided area then sitting at the pole you have more chance of seeing PoIs around you as there are more areas.

That is clever! I did consider the 'spherical warp' when we were talking about breaking the surface up into longitudinal/latitudinal strips for searching, but it never occurred to me that it might result in a greater density of POIs around the poles, unless the generation system factors it in.

POIs generally are easy to find though; with the scanner at max range I can generally see 2 or 3 without moving. I wonder if the POIs are distributed by lat/long (in which case they'll be packed more densely on small planets) or by surface distance (meaning there'll be more contacts on large planets than on small). My guess is the former.

I feel there's a bit much emphasis on tidally locked planets in this discussion. Therefore I would like to comment on 2 points which I think are the most "harmful" to our search.

- The trailer scene which we assume shows Barnacles is in the dark, therefore Large Barnacles are only found in the dark.
- The trailer scene which we assume shows Barnacles is in the dark, therefore it must be a tidally locked planet.
Those two points are completely baseless. The trailer could be shot at night, the trailer could be shot on a planet far away from a star or it could indeed be on a tidally locked planet. But we have absolutely no indicator which it could be. And the darkness could very well serve an exclusively dramatic purpose.

In my opinion it would be much more useful to try to understand what the Barnacles "want", what a suitable environment might be for Large Barnacles. I think it's safe to assume that the Large Barnacles have been dubbed that way because they look similar to the barnacles we all know and love, and not because those "interstellar explorers" have run a lengthy analysis to figure out that they actually are similar.
If we assume those things in the trailer are indeed Large Barnacles then I would tend to exclude planets with a really low gravity. Why? Because I think the gravity of that world would favor tall and slender entities over those with a broad base as was shown in the trailer. This kind of structure to me looks like it would be a much better fit on a world with gravity equal to or greater than Earth's.

On the subject of yellow stars: for what it's worth Pleiadas Sector DL-Y D65 has a yellow star and 9A (I think) is landable. It is a beautiful little moon, white with giant gashes all over the surface revealing brown subsoil. The gashes are really treacherous - they get dark and go DEEP, often unexpectedly. RIP two buggers.

Last edited:
That is clever! I did consider the 'spherical warp' when we were talking about breaking the surface up into longitudinal/latitudinal strips for searching, but it never occurred to me that it might result in a greater density of POIs around the poles, unless the generation system factors it in.

POIs generally are easy to find though; with the scanner at max range I can generally see 2 or 3 without moving. I wonder if the POIs are distributed by lat/long (in which case they'll be packed more densely on small planets) or by surface distance (meaning there'll be more contacts on large planets than on small). My guess is the former.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but wouldn't it be more likely for "water" to accumulate on the poles as well?

I feel there's a bit much emphasis on tidally locked planets in this discussion. Therefore I would like to comment on 2 points which I think are the most "harmful" to our search.

- The trailer scene which we assume shows Barnacles is in the dark, therefore Large Barnacles are only found in the dark.
- The trailer scene which we assume shows Barnacles is in the dark, therefore it must be a tidally locked planet.
Those two points are completely baseless. The trailer could be shot at night, the trailer could be shot on a planet far away from a star or it could indeed be on a tidally locked planet. But we have absolutely no indicator which it could be. And the darkness could very well serve an exclusively dramatic purpose.

In my opinion it would be much more useful to try to understand what the Barnacles "want", what a suitable environment might be for Large Barnacles. I think it's safe to assume that the Large Barnacles have been dubbed that way because they look similar to the barnacles we all know and love, and not because those "interstellar explorers" have run a lengthy analysis to figure out that they actually are similar.
If we assume those things in the trailer are indeed Large Barnacles then I would tend to exclude planets with a really low gravity. Why? Because I think the gravity of that world would favor tall and slender entities over those with a broad base as was shown in the trailer. This kind of structure to me looks like it would be a much better fit on a world with gravity equal to or greater than Earth's.

The in-game description has something like this in it:

Meta-alloys have a complex lattice structure with large internal voids. They are cellular in nature, and formed organically. They are incredibly strong - much stronger than foamed aluminium for example. Many elements form the structure so technically they are alloys, but the composition is different in different parts of the cell walls for strength. They are good thermal insulators, and have a high melting point, but if they are melted they lose all their special properties and become a conventional alloy. They are easily machined, but as yet cannot be manufactured, only found in space. They are associated with recently discovered alien entities nicknamed 'Large Barnacles' by interstellar explorers. These appear to be common in certain parts of space, although no-one is certain why. This material has been heralded as the next step in materials technology. It is ultra-light and stronger and more versatile than most commercially available alloys.
Seems like they don't like light too much. Although that could also just mean that planets near stars are out of the question, unless they're tidally locked.

Last edited:

Sounds an awful lot like mold when you put it this way which is known to proliferate in dark, damp, and warmer envioronments. Lichen is somewhat similar but in colder environments. Someone had pointed out that there are some liches that have been dubbed barnacles in addition to the actual animals.

Meta-alloys have a complex lattice structure with large internal voids. They are cellular in nature, and formed organically. They are incredibly strong - much stronger than foamed aluminium for example. Many elements form the structure so technically they are alloys, but the composition is different in different parts of the cell walls for strength. They are good thermal insulators, and have a high melting point, but if they are melted they lose all their special properties and become a conventional alloy. They are easily machined, but as yet cannot be manufactured, only found in space. They are associated with recently discovered alien entities nicknamed 'Large Barnacles' by interstellar explorers. These appear to be common in certain parts of space, although no-one is certain why. This material has been heralded as the next step in materials technology. It is ultra-light and stronger and more versatile than most commercially available alloys.

Seems like they don't like light too much. Although that could also just mean that planets near stars are out of the question, unless they're tidally locked.

I don't see anything about light in the meta-alloy description, only about heat. Where are you getting the thing about them not liking light from exactly?

The weird noises is the Thargoids playing games behind you, mocking you, drawing alien D in your SRV and stuff.

Yep, watch out behind you....

VgN6wqc.gif

Thanks ! I think that's what was going in my mind.
http://i.imgur.com/YMRm2Bo.png
http://i.imgur.com/flqQLuf.png
http://i.imgur.com/IIm6TPJ.png

not going to post them as pictures to avoid confusion, but I think that, after my first week of UA threading, my brain has finally rotten away...

i can agree with that! I go to bed, by the time i get home there are 50 pages, at minimum, to read. im still set about merope. gut feeling as well as the UA pointing towards the star however there is always the possibility of UA, barnacles and meta-alloy all being completely unrelated >.>

@ Micheal Brooks:

Can you confirm that a unique audio file is played when barnacles are near/in vicinity of the player? Sort of similar to the whale song that the UA emits?

Thank you kindly :)

About VerneAsimov's screenshot: the message is nearly verbatim from somebody selling two tickets on Reddit. Looks like those are for Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Do we have any other sightings of this message, or something similar?

This disheartened me a little. I really want that eye mission to be a clue to something, but it could just as easily be one of the dev's saw that on reddit and thought to himself, "that would make a good cryptic log entry / eye mission" with no further thought put into it.

Sounds an awful lot like mold when you put it this way which is known to proliferate in dark, damp, and warmer envioronments. Lichen is somewhat similar but in colder environments. Someone had pointed out that there are some liches that have been dubbed barnacles in addition to the actual animals.

As far as I remember, the big stars in the Pleiades nebula has a dual effect on the Nebula it self.

It pulls the heavy elements in, due to gravity and blows the light elements out due to solar wind.

Planets will probably be bombarded with the heavy elements. This could be something baracles feed on, if they wave their 'filter hand' like regular barnacles.

Another point. The Pleiades stars were not created from the nebula. Theopen cluster and the nebula met in spcace at a later point.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom