UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
thats the first golliath ive found in 10 days on the surface in my srv.there does seem to be a pattern, ive found 2 crashed t class ships one with golliath and one with 2 guardians. when i log in mobius i tend to find about 5 sites eg gold tea srv crash beacons and sattelites and then a nasty so the longer you drive in srv the better it gets.

I've had a sneaking suspicion that with the except of fixed POIs it becomes a matter of mileage almost like your timer to barnacle spawn starts every time you deploy your SRV and stops/resets when you board your ship and thus can never find them while on your vessel (except for fixed POIs wherever those may be). I may be offbase here but I've observed the SRV's health go from trashed to brand spanking new every time it gets stowed in the ship.. I'm sure your bay repairs it but that gives you the impression of a start/stop/reset mechanic at play here... wouldn't surprise me if barnaclespawn was tied to it somehow and for the RNG spawns it's a matter of living in your SRV for extended period of times until your number is up.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I agree its odd as it doesnt seem consistent, Ive just put it down to orbital forces that I am unaware of. Be nice if it was MR B Nacle related !

Well there are only two forces I can think that would do this 1. Gravity and 2. Magnetic fields.

Gravity I don't really think is the case because it would be somewhat evenly distributed across the entire area.

Magnetic fields could be more localized depending on metal distribution of an area theoretically buffeting your ship and causing a reaction to your ship's control that the thrusters have to struggle to keep up with.

Pleiades Sector GW-W C1-15 has a large number of landable planets and moons, 5th planet in is 1.02 Gravity, almost Earth mass. Might want to add it to the Spreadsheet.

Hey guys! I'am at my 2-nd day exploration, and I found some strange sites on one of the planets. Its has some pretty tought deffence towers rendering my ship to 60% in few sec, and a beacon (radar) in the middle of it. You can scan it with SRV, and its says that signal was scaned. Can someone please explaint to me what is it?

Hey guys! I'am at my 2-nd day exploration, and I found some strange sites on one of the planets. Its has some pretty tought deffence towers rendering my ship to 60% in few sec, and a beacon (radar) in the middle of it. You can scan it with SRV, and its says that signal was scaned. Can someone please explaint to me what is it?

Its an outpost Point of Interest. Its a data point type (you can also get cargo canisters)

If you land, deploy the SRV, target the scanner and use one of your equipped scanners you will get some cash off it in the form of an intel package.

They are common

If the location of the barnacles has anything to do with any Earth-based mythology I'll be very annoyed. This is alien life we're looking for, after all.

The communications from UA > Merope is via Morse code isn't it?
Somewhat arcaic given 3302 is hardly likely to use Morse anymore

• Like (+1)
Reactions: jgm
Pleiades Sector GW-W C1-15 has a large number of landable planets and moons, 5th planet in is 1.02 Gravity, almost Earth mass. Might want to add it to the Spreadsheet.

I spent all my night in that system, and Planet 5, with his huge yellow and misty crater, together with planet 1, with his bugged 20Km deep crater (a well to hell, TBH), are by far my favorite bodies there ;)

Last edited:
Arrived at KN Muscae 1, high metal content world, pinkish coppery dirt with some ice around. 1.27G.

also getting some odd scanner readings, very faint and spred out right at the stop of the scanner,not sure if this is a normal thing rocks and stuff do, will post vid when able

eddit - link to vid http://tinyurl.com/jduc4sr

2nd eddit - link to 2nd vid - http://tinyurl.com/hnt22sw turns out it was a crashed nav beacon

Last edited:

I was just thinking in the poste before that it says it adds intel telemetry data so if they are of telemetry then scanning at least three radars could give you some coordinates or location on planetary map.

Nav Beacons do the same: yes in 3302 ;)
That's why I've assumed many times the UA makers could have learned morse from our Nav Beacons, hence the abundance of crashed Nav Beacons everywhere....

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Arrived at KN Muscae 1, high metal content world, pinkish coppery dirt with some ice around. 1.27G.

also getting some odd scanner readings, very faint and spred out right at the stop of the scanner,not sure if this is a normal thing rocks and stuff do, will post vid when able

Check if you find misty Craters please: they should be easily spotted from OC.
Right on, CMDR!

Last edited:
I was just thinking in the poste before that it says it adds intel telemetry data so if they are of telemetry then scanning at least three radars could give you some coordinates or location on planetary map.

It gives you cash. In the form of an intel package. I've scanned dozens while looking for barnacles.. I've received no special info unfortunately

Hi guys, maybe I'm wrong but yesterday I was in a wing and I've the feeling that the POIs spawned more frequently; it's just me or, exactly like SC with USS, being in a wing (or not alone) increases the probability of spotting POIs?

I just realised something... If UAs are alien, why would they transmit in morse code ? That's a 100% human made language...

Last edited:

Morse is very low maintenance from an electronics point of view. Very easy to produce and interpret when received. The required equipment is also very rudimentary.

The nav beacons in game use it, both the working ones and the crashed ones found on planets so Morse is apparently still in active use in 3302, just like linen shirts and wool socks are still in use after several thousands of years.

So I took another UA down to Merope 1 A and the signal defintely does change from the signal in space. However, the whale sound does not seem to mark the beginning or endof the message, as the code is not the same in between each.

There is also code being transmitted while the whale sound is played which makes it difficult to isolate. Any recommended tools for the task?

Nav Beacons do the same: yes in 3302 ;)
That's why I've assumed many times the UA makers could have learned morse from our Nav Beacons, hence the abundance of crashed Nav Beacons everywhere....

As long as they had a handy morse code to English translation sheet lying about and a list of all of our names for the star systems to be able to make sense of the outputs, of course.

Yeah I'm starting to get bored of the search.

I just realised something... If UAs are alien, why would they transmit in morse code ? That's a 100% human made language...

Really?! Well... that's the first question we asked ourselves after discovering it :D
Nav Beacons are a good guess, btw...

That's a really good question, and one that no one has been able to figure out yet.

I've travelled to Merope a bunch of times. Spent last night exploring its moons for clues. But no luck.

I've also run a line from Merope through the center of inhabited space (Sol) and out the other side and followed it until I reached the same position where another UA shell would be if it had been "mirrored" around the center of the Bubble, Also no luck.

Other CMDRs have taken a UA to distant places to see if they could find somewhere where it would point in a different direction. This was to test the theory that perhaps there are other stars like Merope that "interest" the UAs, and if they are closer to one of those other stars than they are from Merope they would point to it instead. Alas, also no luck.

For the last point, it doesn't mean that those other stars don't exist, but that everywhere that it's been tested the UA has still pointed to Merope. There may be stars like that in a really far away system on the other side of the galaxy, but given that the UAs damage your ship, and that there are no bases to repair in uninhabited space, there's only so far people have been able to go before their repair modules run out.

So we are still looking for answers. If you haven't done so already and you want some idea of many of the things that have been tried, check out the 2nd and 3rd posts of this thread. Rizal has made us a nice compendium of the UA/barnacle investigation history thus far.

In any case, it's good to have another pair on inquiring eyes on this. Good luck CMDR o7

Thanks. I am never far away. Reading from time to time. Got some time before going back to search for metallic rings. So I help.

As long as they had a handy morse code to English translation sheet lying about and a list of all of our names for the star systems to be able to make sense of the outputs, of course.

Yeah I'm starting to get bored of the search.

I like to assume the Nav Beacons have the full catalogue in them already ;)

Hi guys, maybe I'm wrong but yesterday I was in a wing and I've the feeling that the POIs spawned more frequently; it's just me or, exactly like SC with USS, being in a wing (or not alone) increases the probability of spotting POIs?

If the triggers for the spawns are player based instead of instance based, it's logical for the rates to be increasing. If the logic is a simple one, it should double with 2 cmdrs and quadruple with 4. That's why I keep saying we should be scouring in wings instead of alone :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom