UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
1) DO NOT RISK OPEN - UNLESS YOU'RE ARMED TO THE TEETH, WITH WING MATES AND VERY GOOD AT PvP. You won't get a chance to ask questions or talk your way out of it; the SDC are not the Code.
2) If you're getting bored and can't find a reason to carry on - except fishing for a dev to come in and give you a reason. I suggest heading back to the bubble!

I've been to Merope 5C just now.

I saw Aps, Vulture above the planet and FAS, Fer de Lance, Cutter and Federal Corvette right above the Barnacle.

So I flew circles around them just to see how they will react.
No, words, just lasers from them. But I always managed to keep my distance. Then I saw a Cobra MK3 being attacked by the FAS, alone.
So I decided to help the Cobra pilote to escape knowing that I will not have a lot of time before the FAS pilote's wing will be all over us.
FAS shield went down quickly then he rammed my ship (FAS as well).
Not sure I did something useful but the Cobra pilote jumped away and I went back to orbital cruise.
Well... I believe it is possible to fight them but in order to do that, we need Cmdrs willing to fight in a Wing or Wings.

Explorers usually spend their time exploring, not fighting.
And they know this, they know that the real dedicated PvP pilotes are doing their PvP stuff in the Bubble mostly.
It could be a great opportunity to experience combat above a planetary surface.
But why do it in a place where this has no meaning to a huge majority of your target ?
Why do this in a place where the only Cmdrs you will ever meet are not interested at all in that kind of stuff to have fun ?
Right, they were in Open. Ok, Now they are in Solo or Group mode.

Anyway, if there are peoples who still want to have some fun doing PvP against dedicated combat ships above a planetary surface, I believe you know where to find painted targets now. ;)
The Explorers who want to stay in Open need protections. :)

Last edited:

I saw Aps, Vulture above the planet and FAS, Fer de Lance, Cutter and Federal Corvette right above the Barnacle.

No, words, just lasers from them. But I always managed to keep my distance. Then I saw a Cobra MK3 being attacked by the FAS, alone.
So I decided to help the Cobra pilote to escape knowing that I will not have a lot of time before the FAS pilote's wing will be all over us.
Not sure I did something useful but the Cobra pilote jumped away and I went back to orbital cruise.
Well... I believe it is possible to fight them but in order to do that, we need Cmdrs willing to fight in a Wing or Wings.

And they know this, they know that the real dedicated PvP pilotes are doing their PvP stuff in the Bubble mostly.
But why do it in a place where this has no meaning to a huge majority of your target ?
Why do this in a place where the only Cmdrs you will ever meet are not interested at all in that kind of stuff to have fun ?

Anyway, if there are peoples who still want to have some fun doing PvP against dedicated combat ships above a planetary surface, I believe you know where to find painted targets now. ;)

This sounds awesome, I wish I was still anywhere near there, on a whim flew out to the Galactic Core (I always hear that in brian blessed's voice like he read 'planet core' in star wars...) and am now too far away to help. I am about to reach a nebula that looks kinda interesting though, hoping to find a barnacle, although I'm not too optimistic about it.

Courtesy of M. Volgrand we have a spreadsheet and data entry form for people to record where they have searched for barnacles in nebulae outside of the Pleiades. If you are close to the Pleiades then I would continue to use NetSlayer’s form.

The data entry form:
http://goo.gl/forms/wZFi9xJxpB

All the results are pasted in an spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uvZfNx1AA22W-3462ayaycIWZwbDGIZQdwd6xtISt-A/edit?usp=sharing

As you can see a couple of us have made a start :).

Basically if the system has no landable planets, then put a single line in for the system. If the system does have landable planets, then try and put a line in for each planet if you can. Even if it falls outside the current criteria being looked for. However the important thing is that this should aid cooperation between searchers in the various other Nebulae.

Last edited:
1) DO NOT RISK OPEN - UNLESS YOU'RE ARMED TO THE TEETH, WITH WING MATES AND VERY GOOD AT PvP. You won't get a chance to ask questions or talk your way out of it; the SDC are not the Code.
2) If you're getting bored and can't find a reason to carry on - except fishing for a dev to come in and give you a reason. I suggest heading back to the bubble!

I thought other CMDRs had helped keep the system safe. Looks like this is not the case. I am not a Canonn member but recently provided a iCutter video with UA that was used to confirm that the morse draws the Cutter shape. I am willing to help protect Merope so you can all continue your research but will need a few other CMDRs willing to do the same. I am a lone wolf triple elite pilot with 3.2 bil and have been graciously offered to join the combat branches of triadius and cosmic state but have not felt to act on that. However I can put aside my lone wolf tendencies for a cause as important as this. If there are any other competent pilots protecting merope right now please get in contact or PM me so we can wing up.

Last edited:

Give me a holla in game.

Add Cmndr Sancho Deltoro.

I can fight, but in reality, victory depends on the effectiveness of the wing as a whole, rather than PvP skills. This isn't PvP, but Wing v Wing.

Funny thing is, I bet a few of those "griefers" are buddies of mine back in EG. I already saw 1 name come across this thread.

Stories like yours are fun to read, moreso to do. That is why I am a proponent of Open and PvP, and see these guys as salt to my soup, rather than a nuisance.

Last edited:
I have found another one at Pleione 11A at 0.8248, 176.5619 - followed a tip from few pages back in this thread (2.3189, 177.2434), but this one is at slightly different coordinates.
I met another CMDR already there, we had a little chat before he left the site untouched and left me to poke around.

My own observations/thoughts:
- I was able to get five Meta-Alloys (three and two per "ripe/large flower" spike) instead of Max two/spike as stated by the thread summary - anyone else seen this?
- Do barnacles always show up in deep valleys?

I have been there... no barnacle any more. (open)

Last edited:
Can anybody confirm for me that the barnacle on Merope 5C spawns in solo? with the people getting attacked including myself I am thinking of going solo or in a private group.

We all know what it going to happen, its just a question of who is going to shoot the thargons first and start the war, I mean you can't even see the barnacles because some guy in a python is pumping 3x class 3 beams and frag cannons into them.

Can anybody confirm for me that the barnacle on Merope 5C spawns in solo? with the people getting attacked including myself I am thinking of going solo or in a private group.

I could of swore the other day they were in solo because I was going to do a video, but the next day they only appeared in open.

This thread is way to long to read it all back so i have no clue if its already thought of..

But, that small emblem on the barnacles, we all assume its Barnards loop? Can it be the Galaxy it self? Can it be a crater somewere on a planet? A map? If you look at a specific angle to Barardsloop, its looks like an eye, Is it the eye of the Galaxy? are they watching us form somewhere in side that dustcould?

Also, if you "Fly around" Barnards loop in the galaxy map, there are a few Nebula's in front of it, and 1 behind, did anyone draw a line through them? And were does the line lead?

We dont have Horizons yet on Xbox. If i had, i would surely go to Barnards loop, to the center, and start looking form there.

Last edited:
I think this pretty much sums up what's going on in the community goal right now

southpark.jpg

I have been in barnards loop for days exploring planets and found nothing but the usual ship wrecks and probes

Yeah, as i thought, i really have doubt's its really Barnards Loop on that Barnacle.. I think its something entirely els, like, the Galaxy it self..

Last edited:
This thread is way to long to read it all back so i have no clue if its already thought of..

But, that small emblem on the barnacles, we all assume its Barnards loop? Can it be the Galaxy it self? Can it be a crater somewere on a planet? A map? If you look at a specific angle to Barardsloop, its looks like an eye, Is it the eye of the Galaxy? are they watching us form somewhere in side that dustcould?

Also, if you "Fly around" Barnards loop in the galaxy map, there are a few Nebula's in front of it, and 1 behind, did anyone draw a line through them? And were does the line lead?

We dont have Horizons yet on Xbox. If i had, i would surely go to Barnards loop, to the center, and start looking form there.

There's still research that XB CMDRs can do: some of us have a theory that if there are other Barnacle breeding grounds, then they'll possibly have another UA shell around them, as with Merope.

If true, then it'll be significantly easier to find UAs than it will be Barnacles - since as soon as you hit the right distance, you get SSS spawns within minutes.

The problem remains, with nebulae as large as, say, Barnard's Loop, is the size of the thing: if there are other shells like the Merope shell, it's going to be centred on one planet again, and we won't know which one. So some 'fuzzy' searching will be required. Before this CG kicked off I was planning to go back to the California nebula and search there.

But, anyway - if our XB scientist could get onto that, it'd be great.. Especially since the first free-floating UA was spotted on XBox ;)

I'm going to pursue my barnacle stepping stone theory - that barnacles seed from one system to the next - and pursue the line outwards.
Merope - Pleione - P-Sec JC-U B3-2 - ???

I'm expecting that if it pans out it'll lead me to the area where you can see this:

View attachment 97113

Negative image:
symbol_neb_neg.jpg

Colour enhanced:
symbol_neb_enh.jpg

Last edited:

It could be anything really. We're assuming the emblem is made by someone with the same perception of color that humans have. A possibility could be that it only represent a small span of wavelengths that we cannot perceive. It all really depends on the type of ambient light the barnackles evolved under.

ô7

There's still research that XB CMDRs can do: some of us have a theory that if there are other Barnacle breeding grounds, then they'll possibly have another UA shell around them, as with Merope.

If true, then it'll be significantly easier to find UAs than it will be Barnacles - since as soon as you hit the right distance, you get SSS spawns within minutes.

The problem remains, with nebulae as large as, say, Barnard's Loop, is the size of the thing: if there are other shells like the Merope shell, it's going to be centred on one planet again, and we won't know which one. So some 'fuzzy' searching will be required. Before this CG kicked off I was planning to go back to the California nebula and search there.

But, anyway - if our XB scientist could get onto that, it'd be great.. Especially since the first free-floating UA was spotted on XBox ;)

Im certainly willing to help. Its also the only way to get involved at the moment.

I think im going to outfit my Conda for long distance jumping, and go to the California nebula. Do my part.

What am i looking for exactly? SSS in that area?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom