UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It seems I've been afflicted by the invisible POI bug. A couple days ago I went to the crashed anaconda on Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 1 to check it out then left my ship in sight of the nearby barnacle. Seeing the new community goal I logged in to get some meta-alloys but the barnacle wasn't there. Reloaded several times, solo and private group, but it didn't show up.

So I flew back to the Anaconda and there's nothing there either. Went to 2 other barnacle sites listed in the spreadsheet but there was nothing at those sites either and nothing on the srv scanner.

Is there a known workaround or am I screwed until there's a patch?

I have to assume the time I spent searching was a complete waste of time if they rarely even load for me.

That's not true, it would continue, but along another path.

Michael

AhAh! Thanks Michael!
That means that FD will truly react depending on players actions.
So, what I take from your comment is that we can choose to take meta-alloys to Palin, or not.

Rizal likes to get his point across clearly. That is why we have decided to hold him responsible for the consequences of harvesting the barnacles.:p

Unless all goes well. In that case the community will share the glory. :D

Leadership brings risks: I am already responsible of so many troubles in real life that one more is no problem! :D
Aren't you curious of what could happen, are you? Because I am... ;)

EDIT:
I've added MB comment on the Front Page. ;)

Last edited:
Exiting to desktop seems to get them to pop up again - not sure how long you need to be logged in before the problem reoccurs though.

I hope FD are gathering lots of data from this CG to identify the problem - it's a big credibility issue for them.

Im certainly willing to help. Its also the only way to get involved at the moment.

I think im going to outfit my Conda for long distance jumping, and go to the California nebula. Do my part.

What am i looking for exactly? SSS in that area?

Ow, one more question though,

What do i do with the UA's if i find any? And were do i post my findings?

Courtesy of M. Volgrand we have a spreadsheet and data entry form for people to record where they have searched for barnacles in nebulae outside of the Pleiades. If you are close to the Pleiades then I would continue to use NetSlayer’s form.

The data entry form:
http://goo.gl/forms/wZFi9xJxpB

All the results are pasted in an spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uvZfNx1AA22W-3462ayaycIWZwbDGIZQdwd6xtISt-A/edit?usp=sharing

As you can see a couple of us have made a start :).

Basically if the system has no landable planets, then put a single line in for the system. If the system does have landable planets, then try and put a line in for each planet if you can. Even if it falls outside the current criteria being looked for. However the important thing is that this should aid cooperation between searchers in the various other Nebulae.

I've added it on the FrontPage. Thanks.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

First you should check if it is pointing somewhere else than Merope, because if you find a new UA shell, it could really have another center then Merope;
than report it here immediately, and PM me if you like! ;)

EDIT: obviously, I'm talking of finding new UAs in distant and unknown places than the one we already know.

Last edited:

You should be able to find a UA relatively easily. Theres a shell of them surrounding Merope at 130-150 LY. As to what you should do with one.. Pretty much whatever you can think of. Theres an overview of progress on the research in the first posts (2 and 3) on this thread.

Where should you post any findings.. Right here.

EDIT: ninja'd

Last edited:
I've added it on the FrontPage. Thanks.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

First you should check if it is pointing somewhere else than Merope, because if you find a new UA shell, it could really have another center then Merope;
than report it here immediately, and PM me if you like! ;)

EDIT: obviously, I'm talking of finding new UAs in distant and unknown places than the one we already know.

10-4..

And with pointing you mean visually pointing somewhere right? Or is this a figure of speech?

Last edited:
Aren't you curious of what could happen, are you? Because I am... ;)

Yes I am. I had originally decided not to shoot at the barnacles, but that caused to many limitations on the science. I may as well give the leftovers to Palin.:D

I still think this could go horribly wrong. At least for my ambition to get friendly status with any aliens.

That would be a pity. I need their equipment for science. :p

That's not true, it would continue, but along another path.

Michael

My thoughts are that there's a very good chance Palin could end up doing/causing something very stupid in the pursuit of science; as could we. But I don't think we should second guess it too much...

True, it might end up that we should have been more like when enigma was cracked during WWII and the intel gained abput attacks etc wasn't immediately acted upon, in the interests of a longer term goal, thus allowing thousands more people to die...

The analogy there being if we choose not to take Meta-Alloys, then more stations will continue to fall and potentially worse still, but for a smoother outcome in the future (I.e. aliens accusing us 'poaching' or worse).

But my angle is this: we have an unknown plague affecting our ability to protect humanity, possibly caused by alien/unknown artefacts, and another alien substance that appears ab;e to stop it.

We have to understand what the plague is, how to stop it etc, otherwise it's bad news either way.

We're acting out of a desire to protect - if that leads to diplomatic problems with another species in the future, and we can't make them (whoever they are) understand that, then it won't matter either way.

Protect the bubble now, and learn more about what we're facing before it's too late.

Last edited:
10-4..

And with pointing you mean visually pointing somewhere right? Or is this a figure of speach?

Yes, all the UA already found are aligning them towards Merope: you select Merope on the Galaxy Map, then align yourself with the UA, trying to spot if it is pointing its bulbous head in the direction of Merope.
If not, we have a breakthrough.
Be careful, you have to double check it, gently nudging the UA with your ship, and waiting for it to re-align. Sometimes they do not.

What we are looking for, is another UA shell around another star.

Last edited:
More processing of the image - heading down the speculative UA sound path here into sketchy areas:

Symbol:
symbol.jpg

Nebulae image with some color shifting and a bit of radial blur (to make it more 'symbolic'):
symbol_neb_blur.jpg

@Michael Brookes:

if an intergalactic WAR will blow up, I'm expecting that nice Cthulhu action figure on your desk you promised me! :D :D :D

Yes, all the UA already found are aligning them towards Merope: you select Merope on the Galaxy Map, then align yourself with the UA, trying to spot if it is pointing its bulbous head in the direction of Merope.
If not, we have a breakthrough.
Be careful, you have to double check it, gently nudging the UA with your ship, and waiting for it to re-align. Sometimes they do not.

What we are looking for, is another UA shell around another star.

Copy that..

in that case i wont go in my Conda. Cant get close enough with the location of bridge.

Ill buy me a Asp Scout for this, finally a reason to own one.. lol

Am I just going mad, or did the MAIA system just expand by seven objects?

Gave it a parp on the way home, and there they were...

???

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom