UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Quick question - we recorded a bunch of times around the same day/time. Has anyone got a recording more recently? Would be interesting to see if anything changes with time.

OK... the write up of what I've done to process the signal to retrieve this will have to wait to tomorrow, but until then here's the best image that I have produced so far. I'm not sure that there is much more to get from it due to the techniques involved.

There's a lot more detail in the left frame, and the right frame is still somewhat of a mystery. What am I saying, it pretty much all is a mystery :)

qIS6pWc.jpg

The image has been saturated to bring out the image structure. This is done in floating point so that rounding only takes place when it is converted into an image in the final step, and the "over saturation" from dominant signals on the left and right is a consequence.

LkxQaym.jpg

Just to jump on the image interpretation bandwagon for a moment, if you squint at the right hand image then you might be able to see a barnacle in the lower left corner. I'll check the Nyquist sampling frequency tomorrow to see if it is actually part of the image or just "transformation noise".

Make of that what you will :)

Last edited:
Why do we actually expect "Thargoids" in particular? From the Elite History we know, that we already had contact with them. Why would they make such a big puzzle so we find them? Why don't they just visit a system with population and say "Hi, we're back again boys."?

The line in the lower right Quadrant may indicate a 45 degree angle which is 1/8th of a full circle.

The 2 lines in the lower left appear to be 30 degrees acute and 330 obtuse. 30 degrees is 1/12th of a circle. The UA has 12 canisters/fragments

uper left is 90

lower left is 30 (there is 3 equal spaces between the lines)

Why do we actually expect "Thargoids" in particular? From the Elite History we know, that we already had contact with them. Why would they make such a big puzzle so we find them? Why don't they just visit a system with population and say "Hi, we're back again boys."?

Maybe they are testing, how we react, because we hit them with bioweapons back then.

Personally, i will not think about thargoids, before any evidence is pointing in that direction.

Last edited:

I don't think many of us are specifically expecting Thargoids, just aliens, but if it is Thargoids then the reason they don't just pop in and say hi is actually a decent question. I didn't play the old Elite games but weren't they pushed back quite severely because we developed a phage that wiped basically them out, aside from a few planets?

I also remember reading that the most recent game before E:D had its ending retconned so that some events in E:D will make more sense. Maybe that references changes to the thargoid story? I have no idea.

HERE'S A QUESTION: As I never played the old games... has anyone ever actually SEEN a Thargoid? Or do we just have descriptions of them to go on?
If we've never seen them, maybe the UA/UP Are actual Thargoids? You know.. Insect-like. SPACE BEES! haha! :p

So if we go along with the code we know that LeftUp is 2PI*RightDown and LeftUp is 3 LeftDown

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

this means that LU can only be 6 OR 3....

HERE'S A QUESTION: As I never played the old games... has anyone ever actually SEEN a Thargoid? Or do we just have descriptions of them to go on?
If we've never seen them, maybe the UA/UP Are actual Thargoids? You know.. Insect-like. SPACE BEES! haha! :p

They were flying octagonal discs that were able to drop "Thargons", little fighter like drones. And yes, you can encounter them in all 3 predecessor Elite games.

I don't think many of us are specifically expecting Thargoids, just aliens, but if it is Thargoids then the reason they don't just pop in and say hi is actually a decent question. I didn't play the old Elite games but weren't they pushed back quite severely because we developed a phage that wiped basically them out, aside from a few planets?

I also remember reading that the most recent game before E:D had its ending retconned so that some events in E:D will make more sense. Maybe that references changes to the thargoid story? I have no idea.

All I hope is, that the probes and artefacts are not from the Daleks. ;)

In the original game you saw a thargoid ship, then you saw a lot of little thargoid ships, then you died. You never see a picture of a thargoid and the only description I can find comes from some Oolite fanfic. It does claim they have three digits on their "hands", which may explain the octal codes, but then it contradicts itself by saying they have four digits. Nonsense.

add to that the fed capital ships the entire planet is 1 instance etc

sounds like whatever we need to find is on 5C, with the entire planet in one instance FDev may want as many commanders as possible to experience the the find going off on a planet wide scale...sounds like the "message" is going to be big.

In the original game you saw a thargoid ship, then you saw a lot of little thargoid ships, then you died. You never see a picture of a thargoid and the only description I can find comes from some Oolite fanfic. It does claim they have three digits on their "hands", which may explain the octal codes, but then it contradicts itself by saying they have four digits. Nonsense.

Interesting.

I wonder if we'll actually get to meet them finally. Hopefully they're a little more original than green mantis-people, which is what I had already envisioned haha.

So if we go along with the code we know that LeftUp is 2PI*RightDown and LeftUp is 3 LeftDown

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

this means that LU can only be 6 OR 3....

Ok i made another step , if radius is 2, the 1/4 circunference would be 3, and the 1/12 would be 1 (ROUNDED UP)

if this is correct then |-- = 1 --| = 2 and -|- = 3

Last edited:
Hi all been following the thread for a while and thought i'd try and add something (useful or otherwise).

Not sure if it's of any use but I recorded 30's of the Barnacles on 5c and when analyzing the audio the following bit stood out from the rest.

N2zmWYx.png

Could the "green" key in the newsletter refer to chroma keying / green screening and overlaying in some way?

I've uploaded the 30's clip here if anyone wants a copy, the symbol is at 12.95's in.

So has anyone seen a symbol like this on another ship/container etc... Was hoping it was Caine-Massey or Vespine ... .but doesn't seem like it. Feels almost like a company logo

0rxpRzO.png

Last edited:

Base 8 number system?
Actually it is
Decimal Binary
0 0000
1 0001
2 0010
3 0011
4 0100
5 0101
6 0110
7 0111

Left>R or L<Right

- - - 0 - - -

- - | 1 | - -

- | - 2 - | -

- | | 3 | | -

| - - 4 - - |

| - | 5 | - |

| | - 6 - | |

| | | 7 | | |

Guys.......

I just thought of something. The golden ratio, that appears everywhere in nature. It can also be represented as an angle. That angle is 137.5 degrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_angle

Maybe that is a "maths" clue.

hmm that makes sense.
What if its just :
Hi look we exist !
We know Pi (not too precisely, ...just give us a brake with precision already)
We know golden ration
= we are intelligent

What if that is just a way to let us know. And it is now our turn to start communicating ?
You know we are here we are not food so would you kindly stop tickling our beards (barnacles)
that would be really interesting... :)

Guys.......

I just thought of something. The golden ratio, that appears everywhere in nature. It can also be represented as an angle. That angle is 137.5 degrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_angle

Maybe that is a "maths" clue.

Also... look at the picture at the bottom of that page:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Goldener_Schnitt_Blattstand.png

Very interesting. Has anyone tried to overlay a top-down image of the barnacles over the basketball from the scan? I've tried scanning the barnacle stalks before, and you can. But it doesn't produce any results. Maybe you have to scan them in the correct order and this is the "key".

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom