UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So, Micheal has seen the amount of work Canonneers put into the UA in terms of analysis, and has upped the game. Perhaps we will require more complex mechanisms of investigation than just a pen and paper.

Ps, Gypsy 12, your Commander gif thingy is really heavy man! I lost half an hour just then after briefly glancing at it. I was only brought back to reality by the Kids getting home from school!;)

Lol! Here it is again! Don't forget to cook dinner now...:)

They've said they'd like to address some of these issues (though probably not the orbits at this point), but it's low priority. Still too much to do on actual gameplay.

I fear you are correct. I have given up on ever seeing some of these wondrous aspects of our universe in E: D. This is a shame though since they could add some really interesting, spectacular sights and add some much needed danger to exploring. Imagine jumping into a system and immediately warnings start sounding, shield starting to take damage, heat rises and sparks fly as the high energy beams from the pulsar you just just appear in front of flicker over your ship every few ms! Panic stations! Red Alert! All systems to shields! Get us out of here...

I can dream...

That's true for the older stuff, some of the new stuff might need a bit more help.
Complex cipher confirmed?!
I think it is.

A few days ago I posted this

And if it's anything like a Vigenere or more complex cipher it gets really hard if there are errors.

In response to the discussion of this:

Ok I just finished 'decoding' what I could from the recording of the probe on Merope 5C. This is what I got.

High Pitched as (-), low pitch as (.): -.- --. ---- --- --... .-- / --. .... --- .-- -.- --. --. --. / --. .- --- ... .--. .-- -.- --. --. --- .-- .-- -.- --. .-- /
Translates to: KG(error)O7W GHOWKGGG GAOSPWKGGOWWKGW

High Pitched as (.), low pitched as (-): .-. ..- .... ... ..--- -.. / ..- ---- ... -.. .-. ..- ..- ..- / ..- -. ... --- -..- -.. .-. ..- ..- ... -.. -.. .-. ..- -.. /
Translates to: RUHS2D U(error)SDRUUU UNSOXDRUUSDDRUD

I'm no morse expert and I did this with my ears and a piece of paper. So somebody with better knowledge and tools could definitely do better. Hope it helps anyway.

Thanks,

Omate.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Im using the 'purrs' as spaces. I don't know if you can hear them, but there are different pitched beeps that are in between the purrs. They are exclusive to the UP, the UA does not have them. They sound a lot like dots and dashes in morse to me.

Thanks,

Omate.

So if it is a cipher we absolutely have to have a clean transcription. The morse to text above has gaps/errors. It's hard enough to decode certain ciphers to begin with, if the object you're decoding contains errors it's substantially harder.

Ciphers and encryption are a bit of a hobby, so if anybody has a clean copy of the morse to text I'd be more than happy to take a stab at it.

Last edited:
Changing the DSS so it acts something like the wave scanner below 1k would be nice. I've been flying around 5c but wouldn't know if I flew over something as I can't run the game at max setting.

I recently upgraded from a system below minimum specs and there's really not much of a difference in my barnacle spotting ability. That could be just me being bad, of course, but I have done extensive testing on my system and haven't noticed any difference at all in "barnacle sensitivity" regardless of how much I tweaked the settings. (Always running same resolution, though.)

I have experienced something weird after watching the Video where the UP points to M5C.
-The bulb on the UA has the same size as the small bulb on the UP.
-The Bulb from the UA points towards Merope (star)
-The Big(!) bulb of the UP points towards Merope 5 C as far as investigated

so, why is at the UP not the small bulb the "head" of this thing like at the UA? :S
maybe it points to somewhere else or from 5C AWAY instead towards 5C ?

you got a point

Ok, new plan of attack.
Can we at least create a visual map of Merope 5C?

Drop out of SC at about 700km and centre the planet.
Take 1 screenshot with the HUD to establish coordinates.
Then switch to the debug camera and take another.

Naming convention: Merope5C_<Lat>_<Long>_HUD/Debug

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0D-mAII9jIUbzRfQ2lQRm56Zzg

Then some graphics wizard can figure out the photo alignments and create a mosaic map.

Once a 700km map is done, do the same again but closer.

Last edited:
In case anyone was curious. Still pointing at Merope.

EupwzVI.png

At this rate, should be at Jaques within 3-4 days.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

The problem with this would be that the UP has been observed to point to the centre of 5c at several different positions around the planet...If we're now to believe that it's actually pointing AWAY from the centre, we should be focusing our searches...everywhere? :/

Yup. The same got asked of UAs as well. If it's pointing the opposite direction, it's literally pointing everywhere. Even if that was the case, and it is actually pointing away, that means the origin point, rather than the destination point, is Merope 5C, which still makes it of-interest.

Just got back from babysitting my granddaughter & haven't caught up on all the posts yet, so apologies if already ninja'd on this, but a thought has occured to me. When I originally heard the report of this lighting "issue" on 5C I assumed it was just another instance of the green/black/red graphics glitches that some have been reporting. However It has just arisen from my subconcious that the words of the first verse of "I love to singa" (reference Cmdr Kerrash's recent post) are:
"I love to sing-aAbout the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a,
I love to sing-a,
About a sky of blue-a, or a tea for two-a,
Anything-a with a swing-a to an "I love you-a,"
I love to, I love to sing!"

About the moon ... and a sky of blue ..."
methinks this maybe a significant clue after all

Hmmm blue sky, Bubble nebula :)

"Galactic News: Jaques Speaks
30 JUN 3302
Following news that Jaques Station has been found in the Eol Prou RS-T d3-94 system, Jaques has broadcast a message to the media, having apparently restored communications at his starport:

"First, I'd like to thank all the pilots who came looking for me."

"As for what happened, well...I guess it was a little ambitious to try to jump all the way to Beagle Point. As soon as I entered witch-space, it was clear something was up with the drive engines. And the navigation system. And the power distributor."

"Pretty soon I realised I had a choice – push on to Beagle Point and arrive as a cloud of shrapnel, or drop into the nearest safe system. I made the only choice I could – to push on. Then I came to my senses and decided to drop into Eol Prou RS-T d3-94."

Jaques was asked if he would be making another attempt to reach Beagle Point.

"I don't think Jaques Station will be jumping again anytime soon. The old girl wasn't really built for long-distance travel, and the last leap put a lot of strain on the superstructure. I think I'm going to be in Eol Prou whatever-it's-called for the foreseeable future. Still, the view here is lovely, so it could be worse."

In related news, various members of the galactic community have begun collecting meta-alloys to repair Jaques Station, and will soon depart for Eol Prou RS-T d3-94."

Alright guys, let me know if I'm being paranoid here. Is it not a little weird that Jaque makes no mention whatsoever of UAs, singing, anything even slightly weird? His distress comms were pretty darned distressed sounding and it seems like he witnessed some pretty crazy stuff. Now he comes out like "yeah I could tell something was wrong so I just decided to drop myself out in this nebula, whatever."

Just been catching up on the thread & saw the stuff about Merope5 being a binary & so not showing it's orbit around the main star.

Took my ship 10,000ls straight out from the orbital plane (for the inner two bodies) & turned around so I could see the whole system in view. Merope, and Merope 5 do not align to the galactic plane, so (correct me if I'm wrong) that means no matter what 5's orbital path is, it cannot be on the galactic plane.

The four main orbiting bodies are also well away from each other making any kind of alignment of bodies difficult any time soon.

So while 5c definitely does seem to orbit 5 on the same plane as the galaxy, it would bob up & down relative to it because of 5's movement, and process a little due to 6's influence on 5.

This means that the point on 5c that is always directly below 5 is a thing, and that the poles of 5c always point the same directions are a thing, but there are no other things.

I have experienced something weird after watching the Video where the UP points to M5C.
-The bulb on the UA has the same size as the small bulb on the UP.
-The Bulb from the UA points towards Merope (star)
-The Big(!) bulb of the UP points towards Merope 5 C as far as investigated

so, why is at the UP not the small bulb the "head" of this thing like at the UA? :S
maybe it points to somewhere else or from 5C AWAY instead towards 5C ?

How is that supposed to happen? We first tested the UP on one side of Merope 5c. Then we went to the far side. The big "head" always pointed to Merope 5c. So, then the little "bulb" would have pointed two completely different places in those instances.

Last edited:
How about a new game mode called "Han Zen Solo Mode"?

I play open, when I'm not mode switching. :)

And I think we better stop the naming after first finder thing . I would hate for the UP to be known as Monkey Balls.

P.S. The therm 'Shell' was started by me. It was a small reference to the 'sea shell' markings on the UA and other maritime tinfoiling ideas.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to declare a fail on my search method.

I got fairly near the M5C barnie at -26.35 -156.40 so I thought I see how close I'd need to get before I saw it.
Obviously, flying the 10 degree lines of latitude at -20 and -30 and the longitude at -150 and -160 was too far.
Flying along -155 was also too far.
Sadly, flying along -156 was also too far because the barnie is out of line of sight in a canyon.

I'm afraid finding anything is still a matter of luck.
The best bet is still to focus on areas of interest like canyons and craters.

A methodical search is just going to waste a whole lot of time for no certain result.

More in-game tools needed FD.

This issue has been an interest of mine ever since the first barnacle hunt. See my original video here: https://youtu.be/3nSGJdu2Slw where I perform an experiment to see how far out one can detect the barnacle. I landed far enough away that it was undetectable, deployed my srv and proceeded to drive toward it. You can see how it becomes detectable at a great distance. Unfortunately, since the SRV doesn't tell you the actual distance, I can't put a number on it.

I just did an experiment to determine the effective range of the SRV's wave scanner, using my landed ship. I drove away from my ship backward past the auto-departure distance of 2km, the ship was still showing up bright and loud on the wave scanner. I continued to drive backward as my ship left and eventually frameshifted out. The last ship signature detected had the ship at approximately 4.3km, still quite visible and audible on the scanner. My conclusion is therefore that the SRV's wave scanner range is probably 5km or more. Unfortunately I still can't determine the max range without another player's ship to use as a scan target. However, from general use and experience I think the range is probably so great that it would exceed the SRV's standard scanner, based on my observations of npc ships flying around nearby. I am able to detect those even when they are so distant the SRV cannot register them as contacts on the standard scanner, though often they are only detectable as audio signatures, sometimes faint, but easy to spot if you are paying attention.

I think this information will greatly help those of us searching the planet as it will allow us to refine our search methods. Previously, the assumption was that the wave scanner's max range was 1km, which seemed far too low in my opinion. That is why I performed this experiment. I wanted to both disprove that misconception while also detemining exactly what the maximum range was. While I still don't know the max range, I do know now that it is much higher than we originally thought.

Here is the video of my range determination experiment: https://youtu.be/TAq8ljNkpEs

Just gone further out again (in the direction of Maia just fore the sake of a pretty view of the nebula).

At pretty well exactly 100,000ls I got a 'new signal source' message, but nothing visible or targetable. Now I wasn't really paying much attention to the screen, just listening for the message click so maybe I missed it.

So I carried on, watching the screen & at exactly 130,000ls had the same thing again. Message, but nothing targetable on my nav panel or visible that I could find.

So maybe there is another shell...

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom