UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well, that should firmly end any speculation that a fixed point on 5c points to the star.:)

From what I have seen, the night/day zones on 5c move as well.

They do but I think it's the illumination from the main system star, not Merope 5. I parked my ship on the terminator and logged back in the next day to find myself on the night side.

Has anyone noticed that when you just tap the Disco Scanner you get a different note each time? Try tapping it... it's beautiful. Do you think there's a message in there for us?

Yes and I discovered this when i was next to a barnacle. Imagine my surprise. But when I moved away and the scanner was still making the same sound I was able to calm down :D. But it is beautiful indeed... Sometimes I play around with it. Especially now when i have 2 advanced scanners on my ship because I am a dummy and bought a second one instead of advanced surface scanner the other day... Took me 2 days to realize this. :D

Just thought id point out... Merpe 5C has a VERY VERY odd orbit... if you check the details i dont remember what its called but youknow how planets orbit are usually avg around the same plane? so they all orbit in a flat circle basicly. 5C has a orbit inclination ( think thats what its called ) of 75 or -75 ( cant chech at collage) so... is 5C placed? as in... are you sure 5C is even a moon... or a planet? or even a celestial body?!

Merope 5C orbits exactly on the galactic plane as opposed to every other body in the system. [smile]

But....but..... Theories i didnt want to actually test anything just throw ideas about the place.... Now ill need to go disprove my theory

You didn't need to do any tests to disprove your theory. All you needed to do was think about it a bit more and you would of realized it wasn't possible. If you still aren't satisfied then by all means go and start doing experiments, that's what I do anyway. Better than doing something you aren't enjoying.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that when you just tap the Disco Scanner you get a different note each time? Try tapping it... it's beautiful. Do you think there's a message in there for us?

the same happens in the galaxy view and the system map, when you hover a diferent planet or star, it is beautiful

Thanks to NetSlayer's audio recording, here are the notes of the UP honk (or howl):

(G4) (A4) (E4) - (D4) (G4) (D4) - -- (E3)

It's a very clear song. very nice to play on Piano. For the exact keys, I'll wait a more expert musician, as I play only by ear ;)
Anyway, the third and sixth notes are longer than the other notes, then there is a longer pause (--) before the last low E3.
It is very similar to Close Encounters notes, but different in some way (there we have 5 notes, here they are 7).

It definitely sings, and much better than the UA, I could say... ;)

can you pls post both? the notes of the UA's and of the UP's pls? This would be very great. I'm not a musician but thats the reason ehy i find it that intresting to experiment with these notes [big grin]

edit +1rep

Last edited:
Hey guys.

I'm not sure of my theory, and it's certainly incomplete, but I think we need to dig a little bit more on this tidal lock.

Is 5C the only planet tidally locked in the system?

There's obviously some advantage of that kind of a planet, it definitly makes it easier for communication through space. (Even space/time maybe?)

So we know that 5C always have the same face "looking" at Merope 5.

What if Merope 5 isnt a star, as we know it? Some referenced Merope 5 was changing color. And yeah, if that was a bug, FD would have told us.

Maybe Merope 5 and 5C are just kind of space relays? Like our phone antennas?

Again, it's just suppositions, and I really want to find more about that.

That was Commander D0nDiego, and i'm out. 07

(Add me IG if you wanna explore this theory with me, CMDR D0nDiego)

WAIT, is it just happen to me or can't we see a distance marker in the system-map for Merope 5?

Confirmed, no distance marker.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Screenshots:

B8B9tyl.jpg

Y9sWu6h.jpg

That may be temporary. It depends on how Merope 5 orbits Merope which is almost impossible to establish.

Not impossible at all. If you land at any time on 5C, directly under Merope 5 (as in its EXACTLY overhead (can be checked by switching FSD on for escape vector), then Merope 5 will always be dead centre on the galactic plane. It's uncanny how accurate it is. It never deviates and is always where the stars are thickest. So yep. It's on the galactic plane.

Not impossible at all. If you land at any time on 5C, directly under Merope 5 (as in its EXACTLY overhead (can be checked by switching FSD on for escape vector), then Merope 5 will always be dead centre on the galactic plane. It's uncanny how accurate it is. It never deviates and is always where the stars are thickest. So yep. It's on the galactic plane.

Galactic plane is irrelevant in this case its more about the orbital plane for the Merope system.
Well saying that if Merope plane is the same as the galactic plane then yes you could use that as well.

Last edited:
Now THAT is interesting, are we looking at a Handmade system and i don't mean by FD.

but, hold on.. I posted the same thing in page 69 and no one payed attention LOL

or, you can speculate about why Merope 5 c is tidally locked, its orbit is in another plane as the rest o merope's moons, why Merope 5 is rotated and the rings are always illuminated by the star, why every star in Merope is separated around 1kly from the others and so on..

is there a point in Merope 5 that has an uninterrupted stream of star light and never gets dark? or one that never gets lit?

oh my, I need a stronger font.. I'll start using Times New Roman!!

I think we need multiple threads. I posted the day after (or of depending on timezone) the UP was found about how we'd go about finding free floaters. By the time I got around to posting the question we were up to page 30 (stock message display setting). We're up to page 85 and your post (that I'm quoting) is already 7 pages back.

I'd say we need a thread on:
  • How to find UP (my main interest) which focuses on where to find convoys (and crack them), and free floaters. Initially it's speculation, eventually becomes documentation.
  • Testing UPs that have been found
  • Random tinfoil and other topics (basically this thread).

Findings from all 3 can be consolidated in the head of this thread but as it is right now the thread is moving too fast. If two people have the right ideas but are separated by 8 or 10 timezones they'll likely never intersect and we'll delay their joint epiphany.

If somebody makes a how to find thread then great. If not I may make one later today and see if it gains traction.

Please, no more threads. We tried that in the early days of UA hunting and it was (IMHO) not good. Too hard to keep up to date with them, too hard to notice the new ones that inevitably get created, too hard to find the post you're looking for week or months down the track. I know the single thread is hard to keep up with when it's like this, but it's still better than the alternative in my view.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Can we start a new thread that is just a daily digest of this threads pertinent info, or even hourly?! I feel that for every page I read, two more get added! With the barnacle new nebula, defences, UP's and now Jaques all happening......keeping up to date is beginning to feel like a job (or grind!)

*ducks and hides*

Rizal keeps the first few posts updated, just check there.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom