UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is how if Merope 5 is orbiting the star, how is it that M5C always manages to stay on the GP? When it and M5 are together orbiting the sun?

That can't in any way be natural, and has to be an artificial harmonic orbit. In other words, it's orbital speed, as well as M5s orbital speed have been calculated by the devs very precisely so that M5c's tidal face will always face at any given time the galactic plane no matter where M5 is in the solar system.

Please, no more threads. We tried that in the early days of UA hunting and it was (IMHO) not good. Too hard to keep up to date with them, too hard to notice the new ones that inevitably get created, too hard to find the post you're looking for week or months down the track. I know the single thread is hard to keep up with when it's like this, but it's still better than the alternative in my view.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Rizal keeps the first few posts updated, just check there.

I wasn't there in the beginning but it seems to me that it could work easily if we had a sub forum with the 3 categories he mentioned as sticky threads.

awwh you ninja'd me :p

Isnt that always the case for stars? no matter what system??

BuijD8L.png

Has anyone identified what the UP is transmitting in it's squeaks? This phrase is pretty common:

TxjRJNg.png

_ - - / - _ - / - - _ / - - - / _ _ _

I don't think it's Morse as every "character" has three bits of information in it? As binary 35670 or 42107 (in base 10)

But looking at the sounds, only one of three bits is every a low note, unless all three are low notes. I wonder if three low notes designates a break between words.

Has anyone investigated the chirps from the UP yet?

I wasn't there in the beginning but it seems to me that it could work easily if we had a sub forum with the 3 categories he mentioned as sticky threads.

Sub forums are not happening unfortunately.

FD community team have their own rules for this, but also from an organisational point of view it'd be very difficult because we'd need dedicated mods to ensure all threads stayed on topic; and that opens up a whole mess for the team, because if the Canonn gets that (even though this mystery doesn't belong to the Canonn, it's how people would see it) then every group would want it.

Even then, I'm still not sure it'd be worth it. Keeping track of dupe threads, cross-posting info between threads, it'd be a mess rather than a reading challenge :)

I hear people talking about Resustant Corrosion Cargo Racks, are they still obtainable? It would make life so much easier.

I think this should be high up the list of experiments

As soon as my (Pat's :D) UPs get reimbursed I'm gonna do that. It should, knock on wood, be today. Pat and Praetor both have had their UPs refunded. So it should be today for me as Pat had his refunded later in the day yesterday and I submitted the customer server request not long after him.

I'll likely also pop into Maia or JC-U. I should have everything back by tonight and I may have time to do these tests tonight or possibly tomorrow morning. *Crosses fingers*

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I hear people talking about Resustant Corrosion Cargo Racks, are they still obtainable? It would make life so much easier.

Yes, you just need an invitation to Palin's base.

What I don't understand is how if Merope 5 is orbiting the star, how is it that M5C always manages to stay on the GP? When it and M5 are together orbiting the sun?

That can't in any way be natural, and has to be an artificial harmonic orbit. In other words, it's orbital speed, as well as M5s orbital speed have been calculated by the devs very precisely so that M5c's tidal face will always face at any given time the galactic plane no matter where M5 is in the solar system.

You haven't established that M5C always orbits with the GP. It just happens to at the moment.

not only that, have you noticed the distance of the bodies to the star? 1k 2k 3k 4k 5k... magic?

Orbital Dynamics...

Or Timelords (the ability to shape solar systems, or cause a star to collapse and capture it at the point for becoming a black hole so that you can power your own time machine, cause that's the sort of power you need to punch a hole in the fabric of space/time.)

Please, no more threads. We tried that in the early days of UA hunting and it was (IMHO) not good. Too hard to keep up to date with them, too hard to notice the new ones that inevitably get created, too hard to find the post you're looking for week or months down the track. I know the single thread is hard to keep up with when it's like this, but it's still better than the alternative in my view.

Strikes me that was a function of disorganization. We have 3 discrete topics, or at least 2. Where to find UPs and what do they do, etc. It would be pretty trivial to post a link in the head of this thread so it's clear which are official (so you don't need to keep track of mystery new ones) and what their focus is.

That said it only has merit if people are on board and use it, so far the pro/con responses are pretty well split so I'd call it DOA and not argue the point (beyond what I wrote above).

Alright, so I scanned every planet, every satellite, every bit of the Merope system, and here's the stats. Tho it might be useless, but I feel like posting it here.

Merope 1A, C and D are tidally locked.
Merope 2A, B, C and D are tidally locked.
Merope 3A, B and C are tidally locked.
Merope 4, tidally locked to Merope 3.
Merope 5A and C are tidally locked.
Merope 6 is tidally locked to Merope 5.

So pretty much all the satellites here are tidally locked.

Plus the special mention, Merope 1 is 2kLY from arrival, Merope 2 is 3k, 3 is 4k, 5 is 5K.

Merope 5 is the only one correlating with those distances, you know, Merope 5, 5k light years away... I don't even know where i'm going.

Well, its the third day running and its the same. Just going to have a peek at M5s Orbital period...If its too long... well, its too long.

Well, yes. The orientation of Merope 5Cs orbit will only change as Merope 5 and 6 orbit Merope!

Plus your conclusion is wrong anyway.
As M5C orbits M5 one face should always point to M5 (probably doesn't because tidal locking doesn't actually work).
So after half an orbit that face will be pointing in the opposite direction.

Well, yes. The orientation of Merope 5Cs orbit will only change as Merope 5 and 6 orbit Merope!

Plus your conclusion is wrong anyway.
As M5C orbits M5 one face should always point to M5 (probably doesn't because tidal locking doesn't actually work).
So after half an orbit that face will be pointing in the opposite direction.

Yep. Opposite direction on the GP. Seriously... just go have a look. Its easier that way.

Yep. Opposite direction on the GP. Seriously... just go have a look. Its easier that way.

Seriously, I get it.
M5C's current orbit happens to align with the GP.

Now visualize this:
- How does that orbital alignment change as M5 and M6 orbit their centre of mass.
- How does that orbital alignment change as M5 / M6 orbit Merope along an orbital path that we don't even know.

Also, look up Miterrand Hollow on Youtube and tell me why it's parent planet is moving so fast around and around when they are supposed to be tidally locked to each other.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom