UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
In thinking about the sounds I started pondering whether the UA/UP and M5c are vibrating mechanically (literally making sounds which would be unfortunate in a vacuum) or vibrating in an EM sense and our ship board computers are simply transcoding them into audible ranges.

Assuming the latter (probably doesn't really matter but that makes me happier) I started wondering if the colors (blue, red) were of any significance (in terms of wavelength shifts) and more importantly what could make a tidally locked planet vibrate in an EM sense. Theoretically it shouldn't, once it's tidally locked there's no rotating core. That implies it's an object and not the planet itself.

I'm not there at the moment but one thing I might try (that I have elsewhere) is simply drift out of supercruise and listen to the planet at various Lat/Longs and see if there's any variation as a function of position. (apologies if this has been posted above but the thread is simply moving too fast for my limited time to keep up).

Last edited:
What kind of help? I know with the UAs you said "Have you listend to them?" what about the UP... I mean... The Jarvis Effect ( Merope 5C copying the UP howl ) does that mean anything?

PS: Yes I named the... i guess the planet echoing the UP howl after me since nobody found out about it until i pointed it out :D and people seem to like it ;D

As the discoverer of the UA shell I wasn't egotistical enough to name it after myself. I don't think I even came up with "UA shell".

In thinking about the sounds I started pondering whether the UA/UP and M5c are vibrating mechanically (literally making sounds which would be unfortunate in a vacuum) or vibrating in an EM sense and our ship board computers are simply transcoding them into audible ranges.

Assuming the latter (probably doesn't really matter but that makes me happier) I started wondering if the colors (blue, red) were of any significance (in terms of wavelength shifts) and more importantly what could make a tidally locked planet vibrate in an EM sense. Theoretically it shouldn't, once it's tidally locked there's no rotating core. That implies it's an object and not the planet itself.

I'm not there at the moment but one thing I might try (that I have elsewhere) is simply drift out of supercruise and listen to the planet at various Lat/Longs and see if there's any variation as a function of position. (apologies if this has been posted above but the thread is simply moving too fast for my limited time to keep up).

I'm there right in the moment. If you just land anywhere far away from barnacles and without an UA/UP you can't here such songs :(

This is me entirely unsarcastically saying 'thanks for letting us know' :)

And really I have no idea how you keep on top of us lot. Hope you find it enjoyable and satisfying o7

I'm not sure either. Even I have trouble keeping up with this thread. I'm glad he's paying attention though. Our experiences today should make for even better experiences going forward if the devs are right there with us.

It might be possible that the UP broadcasts a coordinate location on Merope 5c. I suggest taking a look at that possiblity when analysing its sounds. It kinda would make sense imo... :rolleyes:

It might be possible that the UP broadcasts a coordinate location on Merope 5c. I suggest taking a look at that possiblity when analysing its sounds. It kinda would make sense imo... :rolleyes:

Quite possibly (I'm only half kidding), it's much like the video below. Once they're where they're supposed to be the transmit a harmonized signal with the planet. Theoretically a different planet would have a different sound (if we found an applicable one). That would suggest that it's transmitting something like "X is at Y on Z".

[video=youtube;cCri-vLgSNA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCri-vLgSNA[/video]

Last edited:
What kind of help? I know with the UAs you said "Have you listend to them?" what about the UP... I mean... The Jarvis Effect ( Merope 5C copying the UP howl ) does that mean anything?

PS: Yes I named the... i guess the planet echoing the UP howl after me since nobody found out about it until i pointed it out :D and people seem to like it ;D

Sorry but has the "Jarvis effect" actually been confirmed? I don't know what the full video is like, but the clip you posted showed just one instance of the planet making a noise after the up howl? Does it echo persistently all the time?

Nevermind just listened to the full video. A creepy effect indeed!

Last edited:
If you end up discovering a UP shell I hereby nominate "Red Wizzard's Balls" as the UA and UP official name.

Ok, now I'm motivated!

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

you could have renamed artefact too ;)

I'm pretty certain I wasn't the first to get a UA, just the first out of those of us on that thread (and maybe not even that). Probably just as well too as the headline "RedWizzard's Artefacts causes Jacques' misjump" might have made me a bit too infamous.

Quite possibly (I'm only half kidding), it's much like the video below. Once they're where they're supposed to be the transmit a harmonized signal with the planet. Theoretically a different planet would have a different sound (if we found an applicable one). That would suggest that it's transmitting something like "X is at Y on Z".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCri-vLgSNA

Canonn investigating UP clearly :D

That video should be put on the front page of the canonn website, with a headline, watch this video if you want to know more about us and what we do ;)

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain I wasn't the first to get a UA, just the first out of those of us on that thread (and maybe not even that). Probably just as well too as the headline "RedWizzard's Artefacts causes Jacques' misjump" might have made me a bit too infamous.

Going with Belthize's naming suggestion, that would be "Artefacts from Red Wizzard's Balls screws Jaques' jump".

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom