UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
As the discoverer of the UA shell I wasn't egotistical enough to name it after myself. I don't think I even came up with "UA shell".
Well you should be. There are only 2 scientific discoveries that we have made, Red's Shell and the Ship Drawings. Your shell was the best scientifically, so I will always call it Red's Shell.

Quite possibly (I'm only half kidding), it's much like the video below. Once they're where they're supposed to be the transmit a harmonized signal with the planet. Theoretically a different planet would have a different sound (if we found an applicable one). That would suggest that it's transmitting something like "X is at Y on Z".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCri-vLgSNA

Oh. My. God. I hate you so much right now (in a good way)

I literally just jumped into a system on the way to Jaques, this must've autoplayed without me noticing. Alt-tab back because i just jumped into a system, suddenly the noises at the start are playing, I'm (wow, that's a mighty over-zealous censor) flipping out that the UA in my hold has started "singing" to me, flapping about trying to kick shadowplay in the guts... then I hear the familiar yip yip voice. Seriously. If I had biscuits in my mouth, they'd be all over the screen right now!

Something something evading censors,, but really???

Last edited:
I just wanted something named after me... I dont exactly have any discovered planets either.

Planets are easy, just get off the beaten track a bit. I think I remember one of the devs saying that there were still undiscovered planets in the bubble, though that would have been a few months ago so it might not be true now. Still you don't have to go far, particularly if you get out of the galactic plane.

I'm going to have to declare a fail on my search method.

I got fairly near the M5C barnie at -26.35 -156.40 so I thought I see how close I'd need to get before I saw it.
Obviously, flying the 10 degree lines of latitude at -20 and -30 and the longitude at -150 and -160 was too far.
Flying along -155 was also too far.
Sadly, flying along -156 was also too far because the barnie is out of line of sight in a canyon.

I'm afraid finding anything is still a matter of luck.
The best bet is still to focus on areas of interest like canyons and craters.

A methodical search is just going to waste a whole lot of time for no certain result.

More in-game tools needed FD.

elliptical orbits and contact binary stars exist but are rare

elliptical orbits are not rare in our galaxy and neither are contact binaries (at least if you define them as sharing a common envelope), but in E: D elliptical orbits are rare (non existent in fact, as far as I am aware!) and there are loads of stars that are undistorted perfect spheres orbiting really close together. They should be highly distorted, transferring mass, sharing a stellar envelope and have a very *very* bright radiation field. They physics of these situations is really very (disappointingly) 'toy' in E: D - so I wouldn't reply on any detailed astronomical properties of the Merope system to point to any plot - its probably just the toy physics of the Stellar Forge....

elliptical orbits are not rare in our galaxy and neither are contact binaries (at least if you define them as sharing a common envelope), but in E: D elliptical orbits are rare (non existent in fact, as far as I am aware!) and there are loads of stars that are undistorted perfect spheres orbiting really close together. They should be highly distorted, transferring mass, sharing a stellar envelope and have a very *very* bright radiation field. They physics of these situations is really very (disappointingly) 'toy' in E: D - so I wouldn't reply on any detailed astronomical properties of the Merope system to point to any plot - its probably just the toy physics of the Stellar Forge....

They've said they'd like to address some of these issues (though probably not the orbits at this point), but it's low priority. Still too much to do on actual gameplay.

The barnie is barely visible from 0.1 degree of latitude away.
The provide that granularity of search would require 25000 pilot hours on what is a fairly small planet, and you'd still have to spot a tiny glint that could be in any direction.

I got fairly near the M5C barnie at -26.35 -156.40 so I thought I see how close I'd need to get before I saw it.
Obviously, flying the 10 degree lines of latitude at -20 and -30 and the longitude at -150 and -160 was too far.
Sadly, flying along -156 was also too far because the barnie is out of line of sight in a canyon.

A methodical search is just going to waste a whole lot of time for no certain result.

Yea, its super easy to miss it...

I did a methodical search by flying through (~500m altitude) whole grid -26,-156 with 0.1 degree intervals (straight lines) and i still missed that barnacle... :eek:

Last edited:

i hope you read this FD.

so, i am not the only one who requested it.

Spot the barnacle:

P48ecXP.png

The barnie is barely visible from 0.1 degree of latitude away.
The provide that granularity of search would require 25000 pilot hours on what is a fairly small planet, and you'd still have to spot a tiny glint that could be in any direction.

That's what I expected unfortunately. Thanks for checking it out though.

I have experienced something weird after watching the Video where the UP points to M5C.
-The bulb on the UA has the same size as the small bulb on the UP.
-The Bulb from the UA points towards Merope (star)
-The Big(!) bulb of the UP points towards Merope 5 C as far as investigated

so, why is at the UP not the small bulb the "head" of this thing like at the UA? :S
maybe it points to somewhere else or from 5C AWAY instead towards 5C ?

Changing the DSS so it acts something like the wave scanner below 1k would be nice. I've been flying around 5c but wouldn't know if I flew over something as I can't run the game at max setting.

Yea, its super easy to miss it...

I did a methodical search by flying through (~500m altitude) whole grid -26,-156 with 0.1 degree intervals (straight lines) and i still missed that barnacle... :eek:

Several times I've flown straight over barnacles I knew were there without seeing them. They are hard to spot.

Just as a reminder...

Merope 5 turns bright blue when you are at a certain position above Merope 5C.

Usually it's a dull boring purple.

In fact, the stripes disappear, and form into blobs making it look almost identical to the UA head.

I'm not talking a little bit blue here...it triples in brightness and is BRIGHT BLUE.

BLUE! LIKE A UA! I have never seen this in any other system before, and to me it is singularly THE most outstanding clue we have.

And yes, I will try and get a screenie. It has been independently verified by another commander.

Just got back from babysitting my granddaughter & haven't caught up on all the posts yet, so apologies if already ninja'd on this, but a thought has occured to me. When I originally heard the report of this lighting "issue" on 5C I assumed it was just another instance of the green/black/red graphics glitches that some have been reporting. However It has just arisen from my subconcious that the words of the first verse of "I love to singa" (reference Cmdr Kerrash's recent post) are:
"I love to sing-aAbout the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a,
I love to sing-a,
About a sky of blue-a, or a tea for two-a,
Anything-a with a swing-a to an "I love you-a,"
I love to, I love to sing!"

About the moon ... and a sky of blue ..."
methinks this maybe a significant clue after all

That's true for the older stuff, some of the new stuff might need a bit more help.

Michael

So, Micheal has seen the amount of work Canonneers put into the UA in terms of analysis, and has upped the game. Perhaps we will require more complex mechanisms of investigation than just a pen and paper.

Ps, Gypsy 12, your Commander gif thingy is really heavy man! I lost half an hour just then after briefly glancing at it. I was only brought back to reality by the Kids getting home from school!;)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom