UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So basically seed the UAs on new planets drop em from orbit over random deep space planet , let em seed and take root and come back in a month or two and see how many barnacle plants have taken hold interesting concept

You have coords, so you are good to go.
Still no CRCR ? Poor thing [wacko]

CRCR are a long way of for me. First of all, I need to go on a 5000ly exploration trip. Then there is Quent, that has to be bribed with those Modular terminals.:(

At least I have plenty of Unknown Fragments and the Sirius permit. I should be done around New year. [knocked out]

So basically seed the UAs on new planets drop em from orbit over random deep space planet , let em seed and take root and come back in a month or two and see how many barnacle plants have taken hold interesting concept

It may be that the UPs are seeds. UAs seem to have a role as a recon device / sensor network. We don't really know what UPs do yet, perhaps they are the device for "delivering the package" to a planetary surfaces.

Or not.

This does not work, as the UA will blow up after a few minutes. Unless the explosion is the a seed spreading mechanism, the UA will just die. Free floaters, on the other hand will slowly fall all the way to the ground. If you have enough time, you can probably observe this in the shell.

The only way to do this artificially would be to lift an SRV to very high altitude and jettison the UA/UP from it.[ugh]

CRCR are a long way of for me. First of all, I need to go on a 5000ly exploration trip. Then there is Quent, that has to be bribed with those Modular terminals.:(

At least I have plenty of Unknown Fragments and the Sirius permit. I should be done around New year. [knocked out]

I'm guessing here, that you are taking about how to gain access to the anti corrosion cargo racks (CRCR?)?

Can you expand upon this? What do you need to do and who do you need to see?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm guessing here, that you are taking about how to gain access to the anti corrosion cargo racks (CRCR?)?

Can you expand upon this? What do you need to do and who do you need to see?

Cheers.

INARA is your friend: http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

To get CrCr (Corrosion resistant cargo racks), I need invitation to Palin.
rP65cPc.png

Via Quent.
9PmgbAz.png

Last edited:
It may be that the UPs are seeds. UAs seem to have a role as a recon device / sensor network. We don't really know what UPs do yet, perhaps they are the device for "delivering the package" to a planetary surfaces.

Or not.

Seems unlikely that FD'd call UPs "probes" if they are seeds, and UAs "artefacts" rather than "probes" if they are the probes.

Seems unlikely that FD'd call UPs "probes" if they are seeds, and UAs "artefacts" rather than "probes" if they are the probes.

Maybe seed is a bad word, but probes are very much things used to send packages out to planetary surfaces. The UA shell seems to be a fairly fixed thing, if they are moving they don't seem to be going very far.

The whole seed thing doesn't work for me: we'd have found UAs around Witchhead and California by now imho.

I think it's possible Barnies and Artefacts/Probes are related to the same owner, or 'producer', because of the meta-alloy effect, but that's it.

So Barnacles aren't, I think, important to UAs or UPs, neither is the reverse true either.

The whole seed thing doesn't work for me: we'd have found UAs around Witchhead and California by now imho.

I think it's possible Barnies and Artefacts/Probes are related to the same owner, or 'producer', because of the meta-alloy effect, but that's it.

So Barnacles aren't, I think, important to UAs or UPs, neither is the reverse true either.

Remembering what David Braben said in the 2.1 launch AMA: "Barnacles are genetically engineered based on an earlier life form... ;-)"

Wasn't there a planet (Achenar perhaps? But I'm sure there are many others...) where an indigenous life form was wiped away?
Perhaps did someone discover that an extincted life form could be useful again, and then reverse engineered the Barnacles?
And put its mark on it?

Michael Brookes

Game Director
We are the story :)

I'm not being big headed - or even overstating the importance of this community here - everybody here is taking part in something that has already etched itself into the new lore of Elite for the next decade or potentially more.

What we do influences how it moves, and sometimes when it moves.

The way we act it out is to ask the questions we would ask if it were real and if we were faced with those mysteries. So: the application of logic to identify what's likely to be worth investigating based on time, and the ease with which you can measure results (that's really important!).

And we have to have faith in the people who set the puzzle: that there's enough there for us to get our teeth into to actually learn what it is we're supposed to learn, so we can share it on Galnet, keep the rest of the players up to date with developments, and continue to help evolve the background story that provides the setting for the other stuff that goes on.

Might sound a bit grandiose, but when I was doing the Galnets etc that was exactly what I saw our role as being, and it seemed to get positive results - more importantly this community never failed to provide something worth writing about :)

This is very much the case. All of the storylines have been influenced by players, and this one most of all. The intent is that players will drive the mystery forwards, we'll nudge now and then when we need to though.

Michael

Remembering what David Braben said in the 2.1 launch AMA: "Barnacles are genetically engineered based on an earlier life form... ;-)"

Wasn't there a planet (Achenar perhaps? But I'm sure there are many others...) where an indigenous life form was wiped away?
Perhaps did someone discover that an extincted life form could be useful again, and then reverse engineered the Barnacles?
And put its mark on it?

There was a reputedly sentient race on Achenar 6d that the imps wiped out, but I think they were much more human like than the barnacles. At least Achenar 6d provides conditions suitable for humans.

My opinion:
- UA is designed for rare material searching. Thats why they "eat' ships and stations. MA is too rare material and UA want to "eat" it first.
- Barnacles is some sort of rare material extraction machine (MA) . May be it was seeded by UA or not it doesn't matter.
- UP may be some sort of MA transport. Some one shot UP?

There is two thoughts that haunt me:
- Why we found only one UA shell?
- Рalin say anything about CN and WH nebulae? He deciphered UA signals and pointed us to Merope. Why he don't point us to CN and WH nebulae? Merope signal is too loud?

This is very much the case. All of the storylines have been influenced by players, and this one most of all. The intent is that players will drive the mystery forwards, we'll nudge now and then when we need to though.

Michael

How is player influence recorded / anaylized / used is it actions, groups, statistics or a mix of all o the above and otehr factors, the players drive the mystery forward but how do they determine which way it goes forward and how does Fdev learn from that collective intent to decide what could happen next. This is seperate from any Fdev nudge

Michael Brookes

Game Director
How is player influence recorded / anaylized / used is it actions, groups, statistics or a mix of all o the above and otehr factors, the players drive the mystery forward but how do they determine which way it goes forward and how does Fdev learn from that collective intent to decide what could happen next. This is seperate from any Fdev nudge

It varies - some is done by metrics, others by monitoring what players are doing.

Michael

IMHO they would appear to be different bits of machinery that perform different functions, but I'm sceptical that they would have been produced by different agencies. Different factions of an agency perhaps, but the physical similarity of UAs, UPs and the meta alloy repair effect implies a common technology base.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom