UBOAT

As a huge fan of old Silent Hunter games I will be grabbing this one for sure.

Yup, same here, I played all of the Silent Hunter series. I played heavily modded versions of SH 3 and 4. Can't wait for this one to be released.
Maybe it's time to show up again at the Subsim Forums.
I've heard that only three guys are developing this game which is quite impressive.

I wish a new WW2 subsim could pull me away from SH3 with GWX.

However this is unlikely to be it.

I'm not really into water based games. Not sure why, but its the reason I don't bother with subnautica or the warships thing.
Looks good though.
Not for me however.

In fairness Subnautica yes it's based in water but it does it so very well. If you enjoy watching Blue Planet you'll enjoy This. The gameplay just happens to be excellent which compliments it nicely. Give it a try mate I think you'll get over your water phobia :)

Tried LSH aka Living Silent Hunter? Downloaded it recently to check it out but normally I am a GWX guy too.

care to make an overview comparison of the two?

i just got sh3, digged up gwx and the wide screen mod and got them to run. i loved sh3 back in the day but was not impressed by the sequels, and have no experience with mods.

Cheers for that, but I must be going blind, as I can only see the German copy of their manual being available.

I may be misunderstanding you but everything’s in English to me.
The one thing I find very exciting is the 12-14 things that can be modded directly into the SH3.exe with a click of a button. Very slick.

All i have to say is that I am looking for a good damage model. I just want to be able to break ships in half by carefully selecting aimpoint, calculating solutions and setting the proper depth of a torpedo. This was SH III best feature - it was good gameplay to set up intercepts, anticipate course and move in for the kill and get out again.

Top memory of SH III (LSH mod): 1st patrol in a type II. Contact in heavy sea and thickest of fog by passive sonar. Without sight I set up an intercept and finally made contact visually in under a mile distance. Target was still barely visible, but predicted course was good enough for a hit. Never saw it sink, but I could hear it.

I got a lot (big lot!) of play time in the whole SH series for a lot of years.
Just did a W10 reinstall over the weekend and, this thread getting me motivated, just reinstalled SH3 and have a GWX install and a LSH install. Now if I just had too much time on my hands to play!

All i have to say is that I am looking for a good damage model. I just want to be able to break ships in half by carefully selecting aimpoint, calculating solutions and setting the proper depth of a torpedo. This was SH III best feature - it was good gameplay to set up intercepts, anticipate course and move in for the kill and get out again.

not quite the same, but in naval action you can aim at the waterline (causing leaks), pick off cannons (sort of), demast (all of them, med, high or low), stern rake and hurl balls through the whole length of the hull causing splinter mayhem to the tripulation inside. the damage model is pretty good. worth a torpedo. plus you get to be a pirate! (not yet really).

not quite the same, but in naval action you can aim at the waterline (causing leaks), pick off cannons (sort of), demast (all of them, med, high or low), stern rake and hurl balls through the whole length of the hull causing splinter mayhem to the tripulation inside. the damage model is pretty good. worth a torpedo. plus you get to be a pirate! (not yet really).

Oh yes. I remember sinking some pirate gankers with a Mercury on a popular route. Carronades make big holes. All I can remember was waiting for the right moment and shoving them in. I had inferior ship in speed, but I could count on the greed and lust to kill, so I made me appear limp and trying to flee, until opening for a killshot in their bellies. Two I took with me - the third was too catious to lure - he ran off and I followed him for ten minutes for a final salute. We used to organise gank raids to lure pirate fleets out of their harbour and then do maximum damage. Some big battles were fought. #frigatesarebest-f..therest

Top Bottom