Unfortunately I have to confirm my bad feelings about mining Tritium

Tonight I tested again mining Tritium on my Mining Corvette.
I have to confirm that even with 100% Yield (or almost), the sub-surface mining is a waste of time compared to laser mining.
Part of the issue depends on the fact that most of asteroids spin, so unless they're very slow, the spinning ones makes you invest more time compared to a 20% yield asteroid that can be simply mined with lasers from a static position.
On top my missile launcher was empty after only 10 minutes.

With laser mining my rate is still 200/hour (and I'm achieving this with a Corvette with 3 lasers and 11 collectors) and I have to say that in terms of material availability it's even better than mining LTD in triple hot-spots.
But for fuel (and not precious and rare minerals) which should be a more common material for the gameplay sake, in my opinion the rate should be around 500/hour if we don't want to spend most of our gaming session mining.
Not everyone likes mining so it's not fair to force people doing something that they don't like for such long time to pursue a completely different type of objective. I'm referring to exploration of course, because in the bubble we all know that there is the alternative to buy it.

If it's not possible to do better than this with mining I can understand, but I would insist then to improve the fuel efficiency of the fleet carriers by a factor of 2 or to provide alternate methods to gather fuel, as already suggested for example by scooping gas giants.

I'm not even sure 500/hr is enough for me to use it,it would need to be around 2000/hr or the equivalent in fuel economy.
At which point it may be stepping on the toes of other FC users who find it compelling game play in the bubble.
So some other method specifically designed for explorers which allows the player to mine if they choose to.
Possible solution would be some sort of scooping attached to a time sink,you park your carrier come back at a later date and your FC is full,is something i could live with.
You could also use mining depots you drop off at good spots that gather Tritium over time,you'd need to plan ahead setting up depots,could produce compelling game play.

I have to confirm that even with 100% Yield (or almost), the sub-surface mining is a waste of time compared to laser mining.
Part of the issue depends on the fact that most of asteroids spin, so unless they're very slow, the spinning ones makes you invest more time compared to a 20% yield asteroid that can be simply mined with lasers from a static position.

With laser mining my rate is still 200/hour (and I'm achieving this with a Corvette with 3 lasers and 11 collectors) and I have to say that in terms of material availability it's even better than mining LTD in triple hot-spots.
But for fuel (and not precious and rare minerals) which should be a more common material for the gameplay sake, in my opinion the rate should be around 500/hour if we don't want to spend most of our gaming session mining.
Not everyone likes mining so it's not fair to force people doing something that they don't like for such long time to pursue a completely different type of objective. I'm referring to exploration of course, because in the bubble we all know that there is the alternative to buy it.

If it's not possible to do better than this with mining I can understand, but I would insist then to improve the fuel efficiency of the fleet carriers by a factor of 2 or to provide alternate methods to gather fuel, as already suggested for example by scooping gas giants.
200/hr is really bad. It should be triple that - spending 1 hour to prepare for a 20 minute jump is crap tbh, and doesn't make the experience great. I get that the jumps are best prepared for by a squadron, but these are PERSONAL fleet carriers. Hopefully they up the rate. 60-100% asteroids in a hotspots would be great.

I've just jumped into the beta to try out the carrier. I managed to find a Tritium Hotspot around a ring, but I haven't tried mining since that was overhauled quite a while back, so 30 minutes effort netted me about 10 Tritum.

Unfortunately I became aware that I need an Armory to stock up on limpets, and manufacturing them is pretty expensive, so I've turned back to get this (Anlave has a carrier administration center that currently isn't blocked, or perhaps Frontier have added these to all systems to allow people to upgrade their carriers now that they are 1,000,000 each?).

I think rather than dealing with increasing the mining yields of Tritium, perhaps make the carrier jump more Tritium efficient. I've also noticed that the jump fuel consumption seems linear compared to typical FSD's where you could get exponential fuel savings by reducing your maximum jump range, in effect extending your maximum travel distance.

It seems about ~150 Tritium is used to jump 500 light years. If we used something like the standard ship FSD fuel consumption equation used for smaller ships, dropping the jump distance to 125 light years for example would reduce the fuel usage down to 4/5 Tritium instead of the 37/38 based on a linear change. If the cost was further reduced, perhaps 25 Tritium for a full 500 light year jump, then 1/4 range jumps should only cost 1 Tritium at most.

Would also be great to be able to use the map system to plot routes using the efficient fuel method; perhaps leave your carrier to it's journey while you do some other task.

I've just jumped into the beta to try out the carrier. I managed to find a Tritium Hotspot around a ring, but I haven't tried mining since that was overhauled quite a while back, so 30 minutes effort netted me about 10 Tritum.

Unfortunately I became aware that I need an Armory to stock up on limpets, and manufacturing them is pretty expensive, so I've turned back to get this (Anlave has a carrier administration center that currently isn't blocked, or perhaps Frontier have added these to all systems to allow people to upgrade their carriers now that they are 1,000,000 each?).

I think rather than dealing with increasing the mining yields of Tritium, perhaps make the carrier jump more Tritium efficient. I've also noticed that the jump fuel consumption seems linear compared to typical FSD's where you could get exponential fuel savings by reducing your maximum jump range, in effect extending your maximum travel distance.

It seems about ~150 Tritium is used to jump 500 light years. If we used something like the standard ship FSD fuel consumption equation used for smaller ships, dropping the jump distance to 125 light years for example would reduce the fuel usage down to 4/5 Tritium instead of the 37/38 based on a linear change. If the cost was further reduced, perhaps 25 Tritium for a full 500 light year jump, then 1/4 range jumps should only cost 1 Tritium at most.

Would also be great to be able to use the map system to plot routes using the efficient fuel method; perhaps leave your carrier to it's journey while you do some other task.
I've found in other posts that the formula seems to be:

Fuel = [ Distance(LY) x (25,000+modules weight+storage space used+tritium weight) / (100,000)] + 10

Example:
Distance: 500LY (maximum)
Modules weight: 2000 tonnes
Storage space used: 4000 tonnes
Tritium: 1000 tonnes

Fuel= [500 x (25,000+2000+4000+1000)/100,000] +10 =
Fuel= [500 x (32,000/100,000)] +10
Fuel= [500 x 0,32] +10 = 160 +10 = 170 tonnes
Fuel= 160 +10 = 170 tonnes

Thanks, I should not be lazy and do the research myself, but I appreciate you digging up the formula.

Shame it is linear though, as compared to the normal non-linear FSD equation which can allow you to travel pretty far on a single tank as long as you are willing to make a lot of small jumps.

I have to sell my soul to asteroids to be able to afford (and keep) a carrier...
Now they expect me to sell my soul to asteroids to be able to fuel it?

Yeah, no.
I love the mining overhaul they added in 3.3 but damn I feel like they are squeezing every bit of it with each new feature. Everything they add is mining-dependant.

You want an efficient way to earn credits ? Go mining.

You want a FC ? Go mining.

You want to fuel your FC ? Go mining.

You don't want to mine Tritium to fuel your FC ? Go mining LTDs to buy Tritium.

After over 2 years in development I would have expected some new gameplay mechanics coming with FCs...refueling could have been way more exciting :

• illegal fuel scavenging on installation requiring new modules (the bigger you cargo haul the more you can steal fuel)
  • new way to scoop fuel in Lagrange Cloud (for example)

I mean FCs could have bring a lot more than what they are. But nope. We get the good old mining brainwash.

With tritium being a bought and sold commodity I can’t get on board with scooping or crew mining. The carrier being able to just generate 400M worth of commodities per tank of fuel at average seems pretty broken to me.

Wow that sucks :( I comfortably managed 120T/hr in my Phantom, and about the same in my Python, using missiles. In a Pristine Reserves system with a single hotspot, each time I checked the drops I was seeing around 1.6 or 1.7 ish tonnes of Tritium for each missile. I don't know whether you were having trouble aiming or timing it properly, but using an entirely class 2 missile launcher's ammo in 10 minutes is quite impressive, it took me about 45-50 minutes before I had to switch to my second launcher.

I'm okay with triple hotspots offering better yields than single hotspots, and 200/ hour is going to be very nice.

Of course, it's still going to be much more time-effective in the bubble to buy from a refinery.
I also wish they'll put this to rest and confirm the intention to implement further tritium sources beyond mining (Piracy! Stellar scoops!)
But for the mining rate, I'm comfortable as an experienced miner that I'll be able to manage a long term exploration expedition in space and have a carrier with me. It won't be as fast as a 14 hour burn to Colonia with a bunch of purchased reserve - but it'll be nice and relaxed out in the black, but also not too much of a chore.

I always ran dry on Displacement Missiles very early in any Mining Run.

So afterwards, it was all down back to classic strip Mining anyway.

I don't look forward to the prospect of Mining Tritium for my Carrier.
This seems rather a viable Option for Squadrons or Expeditions instead, with multiple CMDRs being able to share the workload.

And with NPCs (the old ELITE problem) sitting idle on their warm seats and sipping Lavian Brandy, the "Commander" once again is left to be the idiot having to do all the work all alone.
All those "smiling" NPC faces on a payroll - including hired NPC Crew? Useless and pointless cheap fakes as usual.
BUT... you get to pay them. Alot. Every week.
You might depart your mighty Carrier in a mighty Cutter or Corvette.... but you're still the poor, lone worker bee - exactly like you were in your 1st Sidewinder days.
Just doesn't compute. Not one bit.

Just this mornin' I filled up my MinerConda with 208T of Tritium in a little under 90 minutes, the majority from SSD. I used 141 missiles, probably an 80% success rate, could have been more if I had not been impatient and launched on veins about to expire. Part of the time was also due to an extremely dense ring system that required going slower than normal, but that also meant more rich 'roids encountered. This was at a spot 1000ly out from the bubble, found during exploration around my carrier waypoint. In a single ring there are also VO, LTD and other high-end mineral hotspots, so if not for being in a beta, I'd be getting rich as well as storing up fuel. I don't expect mega-results, though, I'm not in a hurry to make another 5B I will have nothing to spend on. My live ships cover all the skillsets, got me to Triple Elite, so I doubt I'll be buying any more. I have little interest in being a merchant on my FC, plan to use it exclusively for exploration, and if that means camping in an interesting set of systems long enough to fill the tanks plus a reserve, so be it. Explorers need to be jacks of all trades, much as the mountain men of early North America were, able to live off the land, so to speak.

With my Dolphin I can explore a dozen or so systems around the FCs parking space in a couple of hours, fewer if some are worth mapping as well, or if I need to refresh my mats supplies with an SRV expedition. That's still more than I could do with just my ExploraConda (now my Miner), and getting immediate returns from the FC UC module is a big plus. If some system turns out rich for fuel or cash crops, or is particularly interesting from a Codex standpoint, it's no big deal to extend the stay 'cause I got my Winnebago, er, I mean my FC, to get back to.

Getting more Tritium for time spent mining would of course be great, but I truly don't have any big issue with the current situation, because I plan to take my time getting wherever I'm planning to go. I would definitely vote for a bigger on-ship supply of SSD missiles, though, they do run out too fast even when the mining is very good.

The Nimble Minx Returns

PICN-Titans-Reach.jpg

PICN Titans Reach parked in a system I discovered north of Colonia. 24KLY from purchase point. One aspect I think I'm really happy about is that mining for non-tritium is not longer so tedious. I snatched up 520 tons of mixed metals and minerals in about 2.5hrs. A mix of laser, core, and subsurface mining getting Gold, Silver, Painite, Platinum, Praesmodium, Palladium, and Osmium. Some of that is valuable on it's own while others will be useful to complete mining missions and source-return missions.

That mining session was far more enjoyable than previously hunting only a single material for top dollar and immediate sale. Going to enjoy this aspect of it.

You are all right!
Other methods of obtaining tritium are necessary, and I agree with FalconFly, also a change in the NPCs that accompany us would be fair, because we pay you a lot to do very little and instead we have to do all the light and heavy work , and we should also have more missiles for sub-surface mining.

I hope they introduce tritium cores at some point. I really don't understand why they haven't done that already. All future plans to go into deep space with an FC stands and falls with it, because I can't stand laser mining for more than an hour anymore. Surface and subsurface mining are only feasible as an extra for a small or medium-sized mining ship, but far too sparse to make a main income in fuel.

Last edited:
If Frontier want to get players subsurface mining they need to pick a high-value mineral*, make it higher value, make it subsurface mineable in the way Tritium now is, and start a gold rush.

Expecting people to subsurface mine a mineral that, out in the black at any rate, they're going to have to acquire in multi-thousand ton quantities - well, it just hasn't been adequately thought through.

And in case I haven't said it before, more (much more) laser-mineable Tritium in the hotspots, please!

*Edit: it would be nice if some kind of ring other than icy also mattered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom