Uninstalled Elite Dangerous.

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date

Deleted member 110222

D
Not for the reason you think.

My HDD failed. F

Ordered an SSD last night and waiting on delivery.

Lesson learned. Fortunately my system was purely for gaming and no important files have been lost. (Games aren't important, and besides, Steam. :))

Well, life's a female dog and all that.

I'm not upset.

I'd kinda given up on ED myself about 6 months ago. The final nail in the coffin was a complete new build PC. I just can't be bothered with the hassle of setting up the controls again and all the mcguffins I bought to enhance the experience.

Mind you I got the money worth I have played since alpha day one.

After almost losing all my stuff in a HDD failure last year (I was lucky and it happened literally a matter of days after I'd decided "I've not dumped my drive to my external for a while, I should do that") I'd been looking at getting a NAS to back up all my stuff and make it easier to transfer stuff between my desktop and my tablet. Just this week decided "sod it" and just got the 1TB-tier dropbox account.

My desktop's since been running on an SSD I happened to have lying around from my old laptop (I bought the SSD because the HDD died, then shortly after that happened, the GPU failed). I really ought to actually assemble a complete new machine sometime, rather than my current "gut working parts from three different broken computers into a single horrible frankencomputer" solution.

Deleted member 110222

D
I'm sorry for your troubles that's always a downer. The good news is if your getting your first ssd for gaming your about to enjoy the good life.

I quite agree. I'm looking forward to seeing how ESO runs. :)

I have got five storage drives in my PC. One of them is specifically for Games. All being well, the drives should last a decent length of time (as each drive is under less strain than if there was only one drive).

Check to see what SSD support your motherboard has. If it has minimal support you need to get a powerful SSD (to manage the 'housekeping' tasks, such as TRIM (whatever that is!)), but if it has good SSD support you could get a SSD that lets the motherboard manage those tasks.

Last edited:
As long as it's not a hardware failure, when you get your SSD up and OS installed connect your old HDD up I'm sure it could still be read and you can save some things off it if you do need to.

When you reinstall pop it on the C drive, the default used to be in program files (x86) at launch and they changed it as you get better performance straight on C IIRC.

Deleted member 110222

D
As long as it's not a hardware failure, when you get your SSD up and OS installed connect your old HDD up I'm sure it could still be read and you can save some things off it if you do need to.

Yep', I took the drives to my mate who is significantly more knowledgeable than me, bought his lunch for tomorrow and he's going to get back to me tomorrow. The SSD arrived a few minutes ago so I took it to his sister's, which is near my place and he happens to be there tonight.

A failed HDD is often a blessing in disguise, although it never feels that way at the time.

A new o/s install cleans away all the fluff you've installed along the way, and you can take your time loading what is still important.

Just always backup all important stuff onto a new external HDD every year at least, and make incremental backups along the way. I have a pile of external drives dating back years.

And to think we used to moan about getting our pictures developed. I've yet to lose a single snap due to a PC failing.

Last edited:
Buy another identical SSD and RAID1 them before you reinstall :D

Make 2 backups of your data on external drives, and store one of them at the sisters place ;)

or go with 3 striped SSD's for games..... anymore would just be ridiculous.... oh and spinning rust for all those steam games you never play but auto update just in case.... :)

Top Bottom