Ships Universal Krait Mk II for Colonia ?

Hello CMDRs,

I just returned to this game after more than one year. Being in Colonia with all my ships and almost no access to engineers, I retrofited my Python for deep core mining, made some quick cash from Void Opals and I am thinking that I would like to buy one Krait Mk II a use it as an universal mission/materials collection/short term exploration/etc. ship. Just for fun, because when I stopped playing, the Krait was not available in game and I want to test this ship.

So far, I designed this: https://s.orbis.zone/3hgg

Outfit seems a bit strange, but remember that I do not have access to Engineers, so the only engineered part is FSD which I will move from my Python (which was in Bubble and I paid the transport to Colonia) to the new Krait. Python, as a mining ship can live with normal A class FSD.

Also, I am playing only in Solo or Moebius, so the configuration is only for PvE, not for PvP.

Any ideas what I did wrong ? Especially, I am not sure about Frag cannons. I do not plan to use this ship for pure bounty hunting, for this purpose I have a nice Vulture (also imported from Bubble).

Thx for any hints

CMDR Eudoxus

With un-engineered kinetic weapons it'll be difficult to burn through the targets shields, additionally although frags look great on paper the majority of the fragments will miss anything smaller than an Anaconda due to the wide fragment spread (5 degree jitter).

Without engineering I'd suggest 3 x large pulses and 2 x rail guns or perhaps cannons, I prefer bi-weave shields due to their faster regen but with either conventional or bi-weave you want to have more MJ (my combat Kraits have around 700-800 MJ) so I'd fill the utilities with shield boosters.

Also consider a fighter bay as a beam Taipan can add significant DPS with a decent pilot, the Krait is a great multi-role ship the Python is a better trader/miner but the Krait can be a very effective PVE combat ship.

I'm not a big fan of frags and thus haven't used them much, but it seems like they get used in jousting situations, trying to unload as much of them as possible ass you pass. I agree with Ceekay that you need some thermal damage for the shields. If putting lasers and/or rails put you badly over power budget, you can downgrade that wake scanner a bit. I go as low as D rate myself. High rate ones use obscene amounts of power and it's not like the wakes run away. I also like to use B grade limpet controllers in non-mining ships. Less lifespan but more range.

I'd swap the 5A fuel scoop for a Fighter Bay.
Move the SRV to the Class 2 slot (the Detailed Surface Scanner can fit into a Class 1 slot which is not shown in the shipyard)
Put a Fuel Scoop in the Class 3 slot (I'm assuming the scoop is more for insurance than long travel)
Upgrade your armour - reinforced or military grade. You'll need more hull for engagements, particularly as your shield has slow regen rate.
3B collector as per previous advice.
For guns, you need some thermal damage to get through the shields. I tend to go for beam/MC combos, so maybe 3x large multicannons & 2x medium beams, all gimballed.

Change the c2 multis for beams, Strip the shields and then kill the enemy with the frags. Standard operation procedure for PvE.
Can also use Multicannons instead of Frags.

... Being in Colonia ... I would like to buy one Krait Mk II ...
Just a sidenote - do you have all those A rathed modules already - like on other ships perhaps? If not, they're pretty scarce out in the colonies.

EDDB.io says that the closest place to Colonia that sells this build (even with just the core modules) is 21,845 ly away.

A rated stuff is available at Jacques station since last week. I checked at least shields, thrusters, powerplant etc. Maybe some minor things will be missing, but I hope that majority should be available.

Strange. I just checked every module one by one and everything is available at Jacquest or around (Colonia Hub).
BUT, when I click "Stations that sell this build" at coriolis.io, the resulting eddb.io request shows that nearest spot is 22kly away. Will check it manually in-game once more.

Strange. I just checked every module one by one and everything is available at Jacquest or around (Colonia Hub).
BUT, when I click "Stations that sell this build" at coriolis.io, the resulting eddb.io request shows that nearest spot is 22kly away. Will check it manually in-game once more.
Propably because no one running the required plugin reported the new info back to eddb?

Propably because no one running the required plugin reported the new info back to eddb?

No, I used eddb.io for checking modules individually and all are showed as available by eddb.io

But if I check the whole set (from coriolis.io web), the eddb.io is showing the nearest spot 22klys away. Most probably eddb.io is trying to show the place where all modules can be bought together at one spot and this spot is faaar away. But almost everything can be bought at Jacques and rest (two or three smaller pieces) at Colonia Hub, so this are two different places, eddb.io cannot combine this and the search will find the spot far away instead.

No, I used eddb.io for checking modules individually and all are showed as available by eddb.io

But if I check the whole set (from coriolis.io web), the eddb.io is showing the nearest spot 22klys away. Most probably eddb.io is trying to show the place where all modules can be bought together at one spot and this spot is faaar away. But almost everything can be bought at Jacques and rest (two or three smaller pieces) at Colonia Hub, so this are two different places, eddb.io cannot combine this and the search will find the spot far away instead.
Ah yes, I misunderstood you. If you select all things and only one of them is missing, the query from coriolis will result in zero starports having your desired build.

I’m about halfway there in my AspX. I left my Krait Phantom behind at Rohini. I purchased there only to find no modules available to give it the FSD range needed to leave the station. I’m planning to import it once I get to the Colonia region and was hoping to upgrade it there. I’m considering parting out/selling off my AspX and Cobra III to got to a KraitP/Krait Mk II fleet. Thoughts?

You do not need to import anything (except engineered stuff of course).

Just one hour ago, I decided to buy Krait Phantom here in Colonia and equip her to a nice explorer ship.

Configuration is: https://s.orbis.zone/3icy

Everything I bought in Colonia and two systems around. Except the engineered FSD, which was formerly in my Python, which I transferred from Bubble.
Colonia is now a full A-rated, the only problem are Engineers, because you need to activate them in Bubble, before you can use them here (which is obviously not my case, because I was here before the Colonia engineers was born) :(

But I must say that Krait Phantom as an explorer ship is wonderfull. Fully equiped, almost 45 ly jump range and motors are silent (not like ASP motor sound). Simply wonderfull.

Firstly I thought that I should go to mine Void Opals first and make my credits for a new ship, but currently the sell prices are not great all around. So I told myself that 160MCr must be enough as a backup and I bought and outfitted this Krait Phantom. And I am really happy that I did it. :)

Probably this does not belong here, under "Ships and Engineers", but I must say one thing, as a player who just returned after almost 2 years long pause back to ED.

FD did a brilliant move with the core mining, Void Opals etc. When it is not a problem to make something like 150 MCr per hour or two, the game is WAY more interesting and it is fun, not grind.

Ultimately, I built this: https://s.orbis.zone/3i88

Everything was available at Jacques or around. The invisible slot is by default used for planetary landing, so I put the DSS in Slot 2 and sacrificed the 4D module reinforcement. I tried to fly the ship a bit and it is really nice and pleasant.
Your Power Plant is bigger than needed. Drop it to a 6A, and setup your power priorities so your docking computer goes offline when deploying hard points. It will save you several million credits, and give you a slight boost in range.

Last edited:
I took a Sidewinder taxi back to Bubble to unlock engineers around Colonia (for some reason FDev thought that it is a good idea to unlock Colonia Engineers back in the Bubble).
So, back in the Bubble, I am unlocking the engineers and I am doing some engineering of my Krait Mk II. Currently my ship is:

https://s.orbis.zone/3mdf

and WOW, this is a fantastic ship. After I will visit the Dweller and some other Engineers, it will be even better. When I will finish the unlocking of the Engineers, I will reuse some of those modules in Krait Phantom and I will return back home.

BTW, does anyone have an idea how much it costs if I will store for example engineered beam lasers and multi-cannon modules at the Bubble and later I will order them to deliver to Jacques ? I know that it will take some serious amount of time (days) but I do not have any idea about shipping costs.

Top Bottom