Newcomer / Intro Unlocking Professor Palin

The G1/2/3 mats are negligible.
You still need the G4/5 mats anyhow.
I find it easier to get the G4/5 mats....that's all i bothered to farm when I started this whole engineering process. I got a ton of lower grade materials in the process of course, but then just used traders for the rest. You get so much lower grade material for a single G5 that it just didn't seem to make any sense to farm anything else.

With my unlock of Palin today I have mostly 'finished' engineering all 9 of my ships. I had the 9 ships before I really started on this engineering journey several weeks ago and it has been a lot of fun. I do still need to get Lori Jameson unlocked, but all she will add to the mix is one more level of life support upgrade and SCB's. I only have one ship that uses SCB's and I usually leave them in storage in favor of bringing cargo and collector limpet controller when I fly that ship....stupid FDL sucks trying to manually scoop.

True Bob, it would be an opportunity cost if your data were finite. But since you can always get more I think it's a good way to spend some.

I do disagree, but not out to convince you :)

The 5000ly trip is a walk in the park compared to finding those darn sensor fragments, I am getting close to tearing my hair out. Any suggestions.

The 5000ly trip is a walk in the park compared to finding those darn sensor fragments, I am getting close to tearing my hair out. Any suggestions.
The classical option (Unless you want to hunt probes in Non-human USS's) was to go to one of the Alien crash sites (Google them) and shoot up Sensors/Alien Probes.

The site at HIP 17403 A 4 A got reworked and now has a huge, steep central peak on which the thargoid wreckage is strewn. The technique now is (having first done a sweep of stuff already at the bottom) to sit at the base of the slope, relog and watch for the fragments and probes rolling down then go fetch. ;)

EDIT - The wreckage has been moved from the peak and is now at the base and you can once again drive around in the buggy shooting and collecting.

Last edited:
Frontier would not like at all what I would tell them about their coordinates only method of location. It sucks big time. They made unlocking Palin just as difficult as they possibly could.

There is a crash that shows up in the DSS but its not the crash sight you need for the sensor fragments.

I just went there to check. The DSS of the moon does detect a Thargoid signal plus 2 human and 5 bios. However the nav panel only shows the bios. (There is a nav panel entry for the tourist beacon "crashed ship discovered" but of course that is a different thing.)

Approaching the moon you see the POI markers for all of the signals so you just have to select and head for the crashed Thargoid ship marker - no need to use the northings and eastings to find the site. I have no idea why the Thargoid and human POIs do not show on the nav panel - maybe like Dav's you have to visit them before they show there (in the SRV at the crash site there is a Nav panel entry Crashed Thargoid Ship).

One further point. They have moved the wreckage off the central peak - you can now drive around shooting and collecting as in ye olden dayes. (y)

No worries...

BTW I can confirm that the crashed Thargoid ship site does appear in the nav panel once you leave the surface, as does the Human surface site (the abandoned research base).

I assume this NAV panel behaviour is a bug related to the bio site numbers not being shown in the nav panel either.

EDIT - stupid autocorrect

Last edited:
One final tip for anyone coming to this looking to farm the fragments:

Often when destroying one of the probes that are embedded in the ground you will see a / the fragment(s) zoom off and disappear - those are below the surface.

I pick up those embedded probes and then abandon them so that now they are above (on) the surface so now destroying them leaves the fragments above ground for scooping.

👽

Top Bottom