Update 1.5.3 available now! Edit Update 1.5.4 out now!

Ideally I would love to use the desert map, if there was a tool for editing the ground cover options, and I could use green grass in it, but that is not yet possible in this game. So the majority of players using this map, means nothing really.
Someone used the Moss Rocks for it and it looks really great 🙂👍
Edit: here it is
Leaf Bedding was also used for it

Last edited:
Even if they would not edit the tapir model aestetically, there are still issues with it - most noticebly the pink tilt it has on the back and the problems with hips when laying down.:

Look at how the hip is so pointy and not smooth at all.
tapir2-png.216150

And then there is this,it looks like its leg have been cut in half:
tapir3-png.216151

I already reported this when the DLC came out, but I guess it was not noticed by the PZ team. (I cant log into issue tracker, so my only way of reporting bugs is here on the forums...)

I really would not look too closely at that. The temperate biome in the game is the most versatile map we have really, there is not much else that can accommodate the variety of maps that are needed. I use the temperate biome for all of my work, since neither the desert or grassland maps work for me since green grass is not possible in either of those. Yet the temperate map is for me just a canvas, nothing else, and the same for many other players that I happen to know.

For me it could be Northern Israel, Southern Spain, the Croatian Dalmatian coast or even Central California, it makes no difference, and neither of these places is temperate. But if I wanted a map that would allow me to built a zoo in any of these regions, the temperate map is the only one suited for it. There is a hand full of them really so what is the alternative at this point?

Ideally I would love to use the desert map, if there was a tool for editing the ground cover options, and I could use green grass in it, but that is not yet possible in this game. So the majority of players using this map, means nothing really.

For me the priority is monkeys and birds, as zoos without them look really off at this point.
This has absolutely nothing to do with my post though. I said I'd prefer the dhole with a winter coat and that I long for more animals of the tempred biome. Nothing about the map, nothing about where we can use it, just stating the fact that it's the most used biome because - guess what - obviously people like and enjoy to play with it. Your personal interpretation of the statistic why it is like that is your own.

Thanks for telling me your personal priority - again! ;) Rest assured, I know it by now.

I really wondrr are issues on the tracker even really read ? I had issue tickets up there that got expired and had to remake a new one for a bug 7 times already and that on also expired already, itnever got fixed and probably never read. They should stop this auto expiring of tickets and close them when fixed or solved.

I really wondrr are issues on the tracker even really read ? I had issue tickets up there that got expired and had to remake a new one for a bug 7 times already and that on also expired already, itnever got fixed and probably never read. They should stop this auto expiring of tickets and close them when fixed or solved.
Unfortunately if not enough people confirm the issue in time then the ticket expire. However we were assured several times that their team reads all the tickets, the confirming is there just to ensure the most occured bugs get fixed sooner. The system is very frustrating for us though, thats true. Because it gives the feeling that when its expired, no one looked into it.

My game crashes all the time... it wasn't this bad, but after the update that came with the south east Asia pack, my game crashes all the time... it's so frustrating. Just started a new zoo, barely have any animals or anything, yet it crashes...

This has absolutely nothing to do with my post though. I said I'd prefer the dhole with a winter coat and that I long for more animals of the tempred biome. Nothing about the map, nothing about where we can use it, just stating the fact that it's the most used biome because - guess what - obviously people like and enjoy to play with it. Your personal interpretation of the statistic why it is like that is your own.

Thanks for telling me your personal priority - again! ;) Rest assured, I know it by now.

You mentioned a large number of players having a preference for the temperate map so I thought it would be fair to present a different view of why that is, at least in my experience.

I think you will be finally getting your temperate biome animals (some of them) this year, possibly in September or the fall, something tells me we might receive four packs this year. It could possibly be a North American pack, if it is based on the entire continent, including the desert regions of the United States and Mexico, the wetlands of Florida and the tropical forests of Central America, it would more than likely be an all animal pack. If Frontier's interpretation of North America is based on the U.S, then it could end up being something completely different.

There is Europe of course, just not sure how to approach a dlc like that, it would really have to favored the scenery and construction pieces, not seeing Frontier adding 8 animals from Europe. A Temperate forest pack would also be a great move, considering it is the second largest biome in the planet. There are a number of possibilities. I hope they do release at least one of them this year.

As far as my personal preferences, and setting them aside, even you can not deny that at this point not having small and medium size birds in the game other than a peacock/flamingo/penguin is extremely odd. As the monkeys go, most of the zoos I have visited in your home country of Germany have a very good selection of them, even with the last dlc we still have a very poor selection of them in the game, when you compared it to the amount of canids, bears and even ungulates at this point. It is really not a preference either, it is kind of just there for anyone to see.

Someone used the Moss Rocks for it and it looks really great 🙂👍
Edit: here it is
Leaf Bedding was also used for it

I used the moss rock as well, it creates an illusion from a distance, up close the texture is completely different than that of real grass. When you play the game with a preference for aesthetics and even realism it does end up making a big different. I also built creating intricate elevations in the terrain, so the picture shown is of a flat terrain, it looks a little different when you start creating hills, ridges, etc.

As far as the leaf bedding, I have used it as well, several plants make great ground cover, if/when I create a central European based zoo or even temperate North America it would be great, but in no way that can substitute green grass. I have explained this a number of times before, but Frontier seems to have used a specific shade of natural occurring desert grass for their dessert map and dry grass for their grasslands map, forgetting that this is a Zoo game, so zoos would approach this in a completely different way. Look at the Dubai Safari Park, it is in the middle of the desert, yet they have perfectly irrigated grass, the same with a number of zoos in Mediterranean settings. Many zoos in the U.S Southwestern and Southern California as well, there is a number of examples.

Planet Zoo Screenshot 2020.08.14 - 20.02.23.49.jpg

This was a mock exhibit I created as a trial using the moss rocks back when they came out, as I mentioned before from a distance it looks good, it creates that contrast of green against a sandy background I was going after. Up close the immersion is completely broken, because it looks exactly like moss rocks and not grass texture.

I would also like to add. Please devs consider raising the species appeal of the giant panda in the game. They are usually the most popular animal at the zoos they’re in and that should be reflected in game!
I agree with this. Given the rarity of the species in zoos, and all the policies that the zoos have to go through to get them at all, it's a big deal. The zoos that have them usually tout them as their main attraction in their marketing. To me, they should probably be the #1 species appeal in the game.

As far as my personal preferences, and setting them aside, even you can not deny that at this point not having small and medium size birds in the game other than a peacock/flamingo/penguin is extremely odd. As the monkeys go, most of the zoos I have visited in your home country of Germany have a very good selection of them, even with the last dlc we still have a very poor selection of them in the game, when you compared it to the amount of canids, bears and even ungulates at this point. It is really not a preference either, it is kind of just there for anyone to see.
I don't deny that they are missing, but I do indeed deny that it is "odd", but that wasn't the topic. If someone says, they'd prefer a dhole that would look more adapted to a biome the mayority of players choose to play in, it's neither helpful nor polite to scream "but birds!", dragging the post in a total different direction.
I'd actually would love smaller monkeys, but it was not what I was talking about, so why should I randomly add it? You have a tendency to derail a topic and I am kindly asking you to stop doing it with my posts. There was no explanation needed as to why the statistic is the statistic and when I specifically talked about dholes there was no need to complain about the lack of birds again.

I don't deny that they are missing, but I do indeed deny that it is "odd", but that wasn't the topic. If someone says, they'd prefer a dhole that would look more adapted to a biome the mayority of players choose to play in, it's neither helpful nor polite to scream "but birds!", dragging the post in a total different direction.
I'd actually would love smaller monkeys, but it was not what I was talking about, so why should I randomly add it? You have a tendency to derail a topic and I am kindly asking you to stop doing it with my posts. There was no explanation needed as to why the statistic is the statistic and when I specifically talked about dholes there was no need to complain about the lack of birds again.
For the record, I think you're right regarding the temperate biome - it seems strange that they'd announce that statistic and then not do anything with it, but I guess they just thought it would be fun.

It totally makes sense that most players use the temperate biome, of course. Between North America, Europe, and Australasia it's probably the most familiar environment to most of the community, plus it offers the biggest range of animals to use realistically (Edinburgh Zoo in Scotland has king penguins on one side and Sumatran tigers on the other, as a good example, both in outdoor, open-air habitats).

Totally agree. Though, I'm glad we don't have to jump through as many hoops to get them in-game as zoos do in real life.
Yea I’m not asking for a change in how we get them just an increase in the species appeal so they attract more guests to them

Top Bottom