Patch Notes Update Update 3.1.2

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I don't mind any update.

But it would be nice if they wouldn't wipe my controller settings completely.

I really hate to go through the tedious procedure of repeatedly having to adjust my settings with any new update coming in.

Last edited:
I don't mind any update.

But it would be nice if they wouldn't wipe my controller settings.

I really hate to go through the tedious procedure or repeatedly adjusting my settings with any new update coming in.

This is one of the odd things about updates and patches, almost every time one comes around there are warnings about this and I check I have an upto date copy somewhere, however every time I never see this problem and I didn't see the problem before I started keeping the copy. Computers are weird.

And here is where it's getting tricky. For the casual player each payout can't be high enough while the hardcore players usually prefer rather long lasting and tough progression schemes. Which one would you support? I'd say the casual ones are in majority so the monetary concerned would certainly support them. The idealists would most likely tend to support the hardcore players - anyway, you can't make everyone happy.

The decisive question is: what sort of mindset rules in FD's staff?

I usually go for the higher paid missions, as I've flown a cutter for a long while in my game time now and I still get into costly wrecked accidents, but usually only within the areas where I'm interested in doing bgs or pp work in alignment with my pledged power. So I've never really went out of my way to particular star systems like Ceos/Sothis expressly for big payouts reported there. If there are no winged missions that pay over 2 million locally, I'm still ok with it and it's not a game breaker. 3 to 10 million per hour on average is still reasonable to me, imo. I do like overall how the credit inflation has slowed recently. (with the recent nerfs) A positive lining could be that FD have plans in the future for more involved and different gameplay for missions.

Last edited:
I don't mind any update.

But it would be nice if they wouldn't wipe completely my controller settings.

I really hate to go through the tedious procedure of repeatedly having to adjust my settings with any new update coming in.

Backup your Bindings folder before any update. So if it does wipe your settings, just copy the backed up bindings into the folder and Bob's you uncle!

Sorted in 30 secs!

Backup your Bindings folder before any update. So if it does wipe your settings, just copy the backed up bindings into the folder and Bob's you uncle!

Sorted in 30 secs!

True, that does fix the issue more easily but it shouldn't even be happening in the first place.

Two potential reasons for this to happen that I know of:

First one is, you should rename your own custom settings with a meaningful name, so it doesn't just look like "custom". So whenever an update actually defaults to "custom" you only need to pick your renamed settings from the list.

Second one is if one of your devices is somewhat shaky and not always recognized by the game (here it's my head tracker that needs to be replugged on each reboot to be recognized, most likely a buggy USB module on my outdated motherboard). Whenever I forget to re-plug, my whole setting falls back to "custom" (in this case my renamed settings don't even appear on the list) - which of course is totally different from my (renamed) own custom file. In which case I only have to replug my device and now can pick it up from the list again.

Whatever, I doubt it's actually the game's fault but the confusing variety of possible devices that requires a little bit of 'handiwork'.

About half the times it's happened to me, keeping a backup has proved fruitless, as it's identical to the one the game can't load and so doesn't get loaded anyway, defaulting back to mouse and keyboard.

After 3.0 dropped there was absolutely no getting around this and I had to remap everything from scratch. The most recent time it happened was about a week ago when I replaced my G27 wheel with a G29 (driving an SRV with a wheel is a blast, btw). This time I was able to replace every reference to to the device ID of the old wheel with the device ID of the new wheel and was back in business. Not exactly a straightforward process: it involved starting with a blank config and then mapping at least one button or axis, opening the new custom3.0.binds, extracting the ID and then pasting it into the old file in place of every instance of the old wheel. Without a backup I would have been lost here but the game backs up all your custom .binds files automatically now.

What mystifies me is why the game refuses to load the file at all if it can't find a particular device. With most games you'll find that everything still works except that device, leaving you with a lot less to sort out.

And here is where it's getting tricky. For the casual player each payout can't be high enough while the hardcore players usually prefer rather long lasting and tough progression schemes. Which one would you support? I'd say the casual ones are in majority so the monetary concerned would certainly support them. The idealists would most likely tend to support the hardcore players - anyway, you can't make everyone happy.

Also, what I always think about is the new players. It's a somewhat challenging learning curve to get into Elite, just to play, and then to do missions, ranking, blueprints, engineering, and much much much more that you have to master, meanwhile making enough credits to buy ships and modules and rebuys, and then, if they play in Open and by chance get griefed... One of my kids won't play it for this reason. Too much work. And that's not necessarily a good thing for Frontier and Elite.

Any update on the console crash that happens EVERY TIME you get 3 or more SRVs in one instance?

Hoping so, but the sad realization is that it's probably being ignored because hey - nerfing missions is easier than fixing a game breaking bug eh?

Given that we went from very low payouts to 'yo, why not earn the most expensive ship in an afternoon', I think the matter is kinda solved already. That FD wants people to earn a conda every afternoon, rather than every hour, is hardly a casual vs hardcore divide. :p

And I raced back from the black to see what was what regarding missions. Mission rewards are so badly NERFED it was a bad mistake to race back. I mean come on Frontier stop fixing what is not broken. Instead please put your efforts into fixing the many many bugs in the game. Stop nerfing the payouts. Kill pirate lord wing missions went from 3.5M CR to less than 2M CR. Not only these are a waste of time to take, pick up x amount of y and bring it to us don't exist anymore. These were fun when getting interdicted by 4 Anacondas who wanted 27 Units of tea.

Fix what is reported as BROKEN and stop with swinging the sodding NERF bat!

I am happy to see Frontier addressing issues that have cropped up with 3.1, but I am also glad to see the community demanding that Frontier finally address the ever growing list of core gameplay bugs that Frontier has been happily turning a blind eye towards for far too many months. I love this game and greatly appreciate the work Frontier puts into it. But I think it is time that Frontier stops the nonsense and starts addressing the various bugs, glitches and gameplay inconsistencies that plague ED. Isn't that what Beyond was supposed to be about? Not just new toys but also polishing existing content? Well...I am still awaiting that polish. [blah]

I am happy to see Frontier addressing issues that have cropped up with 3.1, but I am also glad to see the community demanding that Frontier finally address the ever growing list of core gameplay bugs that Frontier has been happily turning a blind eye towards for far too many months. I love this game and greatly appreciate the work Frontier puts into it. But I think it is time that Frontier stops the nonsense and starts addressing the various bugs, glitches and gameplay inconsistencies that plague ED. Isn't that what Beyond was supposed to be about? Not just new toys but also polishing existing content? Well...I am still awaiting that polish. [blah]

This^

100% this.

Can't they ? I am not so sure.

Yep.... i'm still waiting aswell. And i'm afraid we're gonna be waiting for a loooong time....
Back in may, i decided to abandon the game until they fixed the npc powerplant bug..... I thought chapter 2 of Beyond would mark the time of my return, but i guess i was wrong.
I'll pop up again when chapter 3 drops...... who knows, maybe, if they're not too busy rebalacing the game's economy and adding new features, we might actually get some bugfixes... but to be honest, i'm not holding my breath

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom