News Update regarding Squadron Leaderboards Season Two

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Hello Commanders,

As some of the eagle-eyed among you may have noticed, Season Two of the Squadron Leaderboards is now over and Season Three has begun!

Season Two was supposed to run for two months, but due to an in-game clerical error ran only for a single month. This has now been identified and corrected, and all subsequent Leaderboard Seasons (including Season Three) will last for a two month period.

We will officially announce the winners of Season Two here on the forums next week (beginning 11 March 2019). However, the winners of Season Two will have already received their rewards in-game.

In the meantime, we apologise for any confusion this may have caused.

Fly safe, and good luck to all Squadrons for Season Three.

In deed we have been wondering about the shorter duration, but the Countdown was set right from the beginning... „Surprise, surprise“ would have been different...😜

Last edited:
Season Two was supposed to run for two months, but due to an in-game clerical error ran only for a single month. This has now been identified and corrected, and all subsequent Leaderboard Seasons (including Season Three) will last for a two month period.
I don't suppose it's possible for you to claim you meant to do that and run all of them for one month instead?

One month leaderboards would reduce the effort needed for a squadron to "have a go" at getting to the top - and therefore likely lead to more dynamic competition for those trophies.

For example, my squadron gets a naturally high score in one leaderboard, because the leaderboard is aligned to activities we're doing anyway - and therefore we got more points than the next eight squadrons combined in Season 2. But, now the month is over, our points are reset, and it's a perfect time for a challenger to come and have a go at us ... but probably not for two months on end, and if they don't think to try in the first month, we'll have an unassailable-looking head start by the second, so they'll just have to wait longer. Monthly leaderboards would give more chance for people to challenge us, and so make the points much more dynamic.

Deleted member 163043

D
Glad to know this... I felt 12 seasons was a bit much... thats not really a season, that's just months. 6 seasons are better... it can take some of the pressure off too and allow more competition at differnt times... however I think a true season could have just been 4... Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter leaderboards... one every three months. That would of felt like a real seaon competition... but am happy with two months a lot more than monthly

I would hazard a guess that a number of answers in this threat is probably proportional to people who have interest in leaderboards.
It feels like another FD classic - great idea, poor execution.

Still need separate leader boards for squadrons.

For example, set limits on what defines a small, medium and large faction.

I don't know, 1-25 members is a small faction. 25-X Nunber for medium and so on.

Having a singular leaderboard for all squadrons will result in the same Factions at the top.

Personal preference would be to go for monthly as well.

I know the DW2 is swamping the exploration Leaderboard at the moment (something like 10x more than second place) but that is about to change now that we are about to head beyond Sag A. The longer a season lasts, the more that the top one or two groups disappear off into the distance and the third / fourth placed squadrons run out of enthusiasm.

Shorter seasons would allow for Commanders to focus on one activity for a shorter period of time, reducing the risk of burn-out and therefore potential dis-illusion with the game. Season one killed my enjoyment of the Misfits of Science and Research squadron as their determination to mine void opals, at the expense of all else, made for a very one dimensional / boring game experience. Once they got into the top 3, it was all that was on their minds.

I'd prefer that we keep it at one month durations. I believe it would let smaller factions to have a chance at grabbing podium position also because it be a lot less work needed to hold a position.

FEDX Member

Last edited:
Top Bottom