Updated Traveller's Guide to Colonia, with some bonus content

Well, it's been an exciting six months out in Colonia with lots going on - expeditions, research, wars, community initiatives - and the Traveller's Guide for Colonia is definitely due for an update.
  • information on the events of the last six months
  • some new photographs (just one site still in winter to wait for...might be able to push out a quick revision in a few weeks to include that one too)
  • more background on some of the factions
  • a little bit of reformatting
Traveller's Guide to Colonia, 3rd Edition: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXPVsYBYjhMLPp4zu9RJfKKoxZFgP9Iz/view?usp=sharing

As before I hope it gives visitors and newcomers to the region an indication of how important Colonia is, in many ways that aren't obvious at a first glance, and why so many of us are willing to fight for it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I had originally intended to include in this update a history of the Third Regional Conflict. It rapidly became clear that there was far too much information to fit in the guide, so it just has a brief summary of the current overall outcomes. Instead, a history of the full conflict so far from April 3305 to December 3306 and an analysis of the wider political context, with a complete set of maps, is being published separately

History of the 3rd Regional Conflict: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HOSLLTjNMdVJqTdCjh4MVFIP8eIk8XEG/view?usp=sharing

While I've tried to be as neutral as possible on "who was in the right" so that people can make their own decisions based on the events, obviously there is substantial room for disagreement in a 20-month conflict over which events get highlighted and which get mentioned in passing if at all. I'm very happy to take criticism here of my decisions on what to document and how to present it, but continued discussions of the issues of the conflict itself might be best to take place in one of the existing threads on that topic (there's a few in the Lore and Roleplay forum) to keep this thread appropriate for Dangerous Discussion.

As with the Traveller's Guide itself, this document is intended as an in-universe one, so certain important issues which were not directly in-universe have been referred to obliquely if at all, for example, and there has been some artistic license taken to present in-universe explanations for events which don't have them. It is, ultimately, a work of fiction.

I'd also like to repeat my thanks to the various participants and observers of the conflict who provided their perspectives on motivations, tactics and outcomes, and who must in many cases remain anonymous.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Since it's coming up to 3307, there's also another bonus piece of content available - a little story about some employees of the Tir Research Labs - including a small puzzle to solve.

Arcturus Rising: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F3FFeAgY92kbs6wDfVjNtToEi_e-6IN0/view?usp=sharing

As far as the puzzle goes:
  • it has a definite in-game answer that you can take a clearly recognisable screenshot of, though I don't guarantee it'll be a particularly interesting screenshot if you do - it's an unofficial puzzle, after all!
  • it can be solved entirely with in-game tools and information, thinking on the right lines, and maybe a bit of scrap paper to write notes on
  • you don't need to read the story to solve the puzzle
  • there are no prizes other than the satisfaction of being right
Have fun!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

If anyone is wanting to help out on some Colonia projects, we still have a few engineering blueprints to finish off (before Odyssey gives us some more?), and in light of recent events in the bubble I'm collecting a stockpile of materials which we might need but don't have ready access to on my carrier - https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/projects/19 for details - if you're heading up in the new year, please bring some goods along and help secure the sustainability of the region.

Here's to more Colonia excitement in 3307 - hope to see you around!

Last edited:
Very neutrally presented write up. Im tempted to ask, which side did you fight for Ian? But that would be beside the point. Nice work.

Clearly the Nameless win on charismatic presentation. The identity of the other groups confused me, they all seem to favour using letters in place of a name. Hilarious that the only memorable group involved in the conflict are Nameless.

Also, are there any plans to request a Tourist Beacon to commemorate this long running player driven content?

Thank you for this, Ian.

Unfortunately when I got to Colonia I quickly realised that us Anarchists are about as welcome as a fart in a space suit so I'm now back in The Bubble.

Seriously... what is the Colonial beef with Anarchists? :unsure:
Welcome or not, anarchists are now a permanent fixture. With fleet carriers we always have a place to dock, so it doesn't matter who has their name (or lack thereof) on the map for controlling Carcosa for now.

I believe the main worry about an anarchy system is a safe haven for the Thargoid supporting commanders as well as the criminal elements traditionally associated with Deciat and Shinrarta Dezhra. However that seems rather moot given the numbers coming up to take advantage of engineering in the region anyway.

Regardless of all of that, I'd like to add my thanks to Ian for what is an excellent write up of events as well as the rest of what is obviously a labour of love he's done here.

Last edited:
and that is the problem..."quick"...and leave. As I have said dozen times before: it is a matter of endurance. Work, drink, work...
I'd love to set up an Anarchist system in Colonia. Unfortunately the powers-that-be there have zero tolerance and smack down any Anarchist factions that rear their heads.

I find it strange that the factions out there all hate the Superpowers yet are acting like their very own copy of all that is bad in The Bubble.

Perhaps it's time for all Anarchists in The Bubble to decamp en masse out in Colonia and show them what disdain for authority really means! :devilish:

Top Bottom