Upgrading to next-gen with Planet Coaster: Console Edition

Tim Smith

Lead Community Manager
Hi everyone!

Following the reveal in today’s Dev Diary, we’re excited to share with you some more information around upgrading to next-gen. We're very happy to confirm that next-gen upgrades for both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 will be free for all players that own or buy the game on Xbox One or PlayStation 4! With that in mind, let's take a look at the process and specifics for how you can do this and what criteria apply.

Below, you will find the process for upgrading both digital and physical versions of the game.

Digital
For digital copy owners who purchased on the Microsoft store or PlayStation store, you will be able to access your upgrade by simply logging into the relevant store on your next-gen console with the same account that you used to purchase the game for the Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

Physical
For physical copy owners, you will be able to download the next-gen version on your Xbox Series X or PlayStation 5 when it becomes available as well. To do this, you need to insert the disc into your console to be able to play. This means that you will need to have a next-gen console that can use discs.

This is the important part: You can only upgrade from a physical current gen copy to a digital next-gen copy if you have a next-gen console that you are able to insert a disc into. When you do, you will be able to download your next-gen edition, but will still require the disc to authenticate and play.

So please keep this in mind with your decision on what version of the game you buy and what console you plan to play it on!

Once you’ve finished the upgrade process, you will still be able to play on your Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

Save games
We're also happy to share more information on how save games will work for both platforms! For those playing on Xbox, all progress can be carried over from current to next-gen. While save data is not transferable between PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, PlayStation players will be able to bring their creations with them by uploading them to the Frontier Workshop and then downloading them again in their next-gen park. We’ll be discussing more about the Frontier Workshop in the next few weeks.

We're really excited to welcome the PlanCo fam to console, both current and next-gen! We'll be sharing more very soon about Planet Coaster: Console Edition, so keep an eye on our official channels in the next couple of weeks!

I am genuinely happy to hear this. I am starting to think that getting a PS5 this year would be a difficult challenge since they are all practically sold out (before it even launched!). So at least I have comfort knowing I could play PC on my PS4 in the meantime. Thanks! ✌️

I think that one of the pillars of Planet Coaster is the great possibility to create and share new content being able to create representations of such emblematic parks like DisneyLand with its attractions.
This is possible thanks to the tool thememakers-toolkit, the Steam workshop and the tool to add video, audio and images to billboards and other tool settings.

• Will it be possible to import audio, image or video files as in the computer version?
  • Will it be possible to use tools to create and share new creations from outside the game, like thememakers-toolkit and workshop?

Thanks a lot.
I dream with my own DisneyLand :D

i had a question if i bought the deluxe edition with the add ons already included on ps4 will i get the deluxe edition on ps5 with all add ons on ps5 when ps5 releases or is it just the standard version if you can let me know thanks

Hey! I just got lucky and secured myself a PS5! So I will be trying this game out on the next-gen hardware after all :D

I'm sorry if this was answered in another thread, but I am interested to know if the planet coaster console edition will be playable in 4K resolution. The PS5 will be my first 4K machine, and I am curious if PC could do 4K.

Found it! :D

Last edited:
Please I want to preorder the game but I want to know this things first:

-Is the size of the map as in the PC version?
-Can we use tegidcam to walk around the park like in the pc version?
-Will be have DLC in the future?

Hey! I just got lucky and secured myself a PS5! So I will be trying this game out on the next-gen hardware after all :D

I'm sorry if this was answered in another thread, but I am interested to know if the planet coaster console edition will be playable in 4K resolution. The PS5 will be my first 4K machine, and I am curious if PC could do 4K.

Found it! :D
Chante quoted me in another thread that they have nothing to announce regarding next gen versions of the game, but this article says that the game is going to be 4k native. Just wondering if the information in the link is accurate or is information not being conveyed to Chante?

Chante quoted me in another thread that they have nothing to announce regarding next gen versions of the game, but this article says that the game is going to be 4k native. Just wondering if the information in the link is accurate or is information not being conveyed to Chante?

Hey Hawk269.

From what I understand, I believe the article from Push Square is accurate. I find them to be a reliable source for gaming information, and they have done other articles on Frontier's other projects, one of which is JWE on switch on their sister website, Nintendo Life.

Though Playstation's store does not show specs, this listing of Planet Coaster Console edition in the Xbox store has the game be tagged compatible with Ultra 4k. And with how powerful and similar the PS5 and XSX are next gen, it should be expected to have both consoles support 4k resolution for this game.

What is the Oswald-Eugene Counter???? 😒
Will there be a construction limit in the map?
There are people who have already played the game on the console and say that animatronics block the game.
I've preordered the game and now i'm worried it's forcibly limited like jurassic world.

Last edited:
Hey Hawk269.

From what I understand, I believe the article from Push Square is accurate. I find them to be a reliable source for gaming information, and they have done other articles on Frontier's other projects, one of which is JWE on switch on their sister website, Nintendo Life.

Though Playstation's store does not show specs, this listing of Planet Coaster Console edition in the Xbox store has the game be tagged compatible with Ultra 4k. And with how powerful and similar the PS5 and XSX are next gen, it should be expected to have both consoles support 4k resolution for this game.

There was a post from Frontier where a number of the development team talk about stuff. One of them said this:

""Booting up the game for the first time on next-gen consoles and seeing how good it felt right away running in 4K, for sure. It's wonderful to be able to be there on launch day for Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5! I'm looking forward to checking the Frontier Workshop each day to see what you've created. I'm sure there will be loads of amazing blueprints and parks every time I open up that Popular Creations tab. I have a lot of memories on Stealth at Thorpe Park, it will always have a special place in my life. I grew up nearby Thorpe and would frequent the park when I was younger. Stealth was always the highlight of my visit, although I'm glad I never had to experience one of its famed roll-backs!" - Lead Programmer Bradley Pollard."

So that was from the lead programmer, which is saying it will be running in 4k. I still would love to know the frame rate and if other settings are higher.

What is the Oswald-Eugene Counter???? 😒
Will there be a construction limit in the map?
There are people who have already played the game on the console and say that animatronics block the game.
I've preordered the game and now i'm worried it's forcibly limited like jurassic world.
Where are you reading that people have it and are encountering an issue? I would just like to read it myself. Whatever that issue is, it could be related to them having the disc version since the digital is not available and perhaps there is a day 1 patch.

I am very sad because I see that when the counter arrives to 100% you cant doy anything. And with 12 attractions has already reached 100%
My dream was to do this:

captura-de-pantalla-2020-11-08.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom