General Use current narrative to refit Type-7 for medium pads

yes please, get it lowered and add a bit more cargo

how did the lore work when they added to the t9?
edit ; they can retrofit smaller landing gear

The T9 is a separate ship, not sure why you are bringing that up in a discussion about the T7.

So you want to make it smaller and add more cargo space, what is this magic week?

Hi!
Current narrative regarding Lakon troubles could be a very good opportunity to refit the Type-7 for medium pads :D

I've seen many a thread in my time requesting that the T7 be switched to a medium pad ship but its the first time I've seen anyone request that lore be used as the reason.

Congratz.

The T9 is a separate ship, not sure why you are bringing that up in a discussion about the T7.

So you want to make it smaller and add more cargo space, what is this magic week?
im using the t9 as an example of being able to add module slots without any need of increasing ship size
there's a precedent set, if FDev wanted to change the ship to fit a medium pad they could whether its lore based or not

the point is, the argument for not doing it because of ship size facts or lore is irrelevant.

I think the better opportunity would be having the medium docking areas themselves changed when the odyssey update hits, since the assets will need some changing anyway to display the social areas. Though a T7 mk2 with the lower height needed to fit into the M pads does sound interesting too.

im using the t9 as an example of being able to add module slots without any need of increasing ship size
there's a precedent set, if FDev wanted to change the ship to fit a medium pad they could whether its lore based or not

the point is, the argument for not doing it because of ship size facts or lore is irrelevant.

The argument against doing is that there are already plenty of ships you can use that can already land at medium pads so no need to make random unnecessary changes at this stage of the game, take a Python instead, only 12 tons less max cargo space, can land on Medium pads, ideal solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

that's hardly a reason to not make something better is it

It's a reason to not play around with long established ships and facilities, maybe I would agree if only a new model T7 was able to land at Medium pads, they could it the T7-mini and give it the same cargo space as a Python, but all existing T7's remain the same.

As always, I'd say no to the T-7 becoming a medium ship, at least not without some nerfs to its capabilities. Simply putting the current T-7 onto the medium pad with its current statline would invalidate basically every other medium ship as a freighter, rather than the more desirable approach of adding a balanced freighter that would add a bit more choice to the medium freight range.

However, some modification to the T-7's model, a few nerfs to its capacity, possibly an increase in price and releasing the modified version as the "Type-8 Compact" I would definitely be in favour of. Keep the same jump range as the original T-7, reduce the cargo capacity by 16 tonnes, increase the hull price to ~25 million credits and then we would have a perfectly acceptable medium freighter to compete with the Python.

As always, I'd say no to the T-7 becoming a medium ship, at least not without some nerfs to its capabilities. Simply putting the current T-7 onto the medium pad with its current statline would invalidate basically every other medium ship as a freighter, rather than the more desirable approach of adding a balanced freighter that would add a bit more choice to the medium freight range.
Nerf the T7? What other medium freighter is there besides the Python? Let's take a look and compare which would be the other choices:

1. T7 - 310 cargo potential, 4 small hardpoints (large pad only)
2. Python - 294 cargo potential. Loses by 16 (just ~5%) but ship hull weighs the same, no small points but gets 2 medium hardpoints, 3 large hardpoints, 2 PP sizes, 1 Thruster size for more speed, 3 Power Distributor and Sensor sizes. And still fits the medium pad.
3. Imperial Clipper - 250 cargo. Large pad, so no choice here.
4. Krait Mk2 - 230 cargo. Loses by 64 to the Python (27%), but weighs 30 less so it handles and jumps better and can fit a SLF, so you can see the 64 trade-off very clearly as the rest is equal to the Python.
5. Orca - 194 cargo. Large pad, so no choice here.
6. Federal Gunship - 170 cargo. This is already way too below the python to be considered a choice, so it's the last one I'm listing here. Ship hull weighs a whopping 230 more than the best choice above and has a smaller fuel tank, so the jump range and fuel range is pretty bad. Clearly designed for combat, not hauling.

If anything, I'd say the T7 would need more capacity, not less, to justify itself balance-wise. An extra size 5 slot for 32 more cargo would still be not even close to what it trades off from the Python in the core module sizes (this is just the weight difference between an A-rated PP 5 for the T7 versus the size 7 one that the Python can use).

Last edited:
Even if the T7 was a medium, I would not use it over a Python. It gives up too much in virtually every other category to make the 16T worth it. It should be a medium. I get why it's not though. It was meant to be a stepping stone ship as a matter of progression. It was exactly that for a time. You bought a T7 because you did not have the cash for an Annie or T9. But the easy credits we have compared to the past has sort of removed it's value as a stepping stone ship.

Top Bottom